Supercharger went kaboom

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:21 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Supercharger went kaboom

Or so I thought. Blew the feed oil line. Cruising at 85 down I25 and the CEL came on and a few seconds later blue smoke in the rearview. Immediately pulled over and oil pouring out the left side of the engine. My first thought was what will a new engine cost. Closer inspection and now with a calmer mind I checked the oil lines in and out of the SC. Down at the block fitting on the feed line on the left was a nice liittle 1/4 inch hole worn by rubbing on a metal hose clamp from the radiator. Evo is sending me a new hose and I think I can get to it without removing the SC but we will see. Thanks for a large oil reserve, the dipstick and electronic oil indicator showed only one or two quarts low..If you have an SC especially C4S I would suggest checking that area for any rubbing as the engine torques. It took 8,000m to wear through. Steel braided lines would be ideal but I plan to but some protection of somekind for now when I replace the damaged line. Just one of the prices you pay for aftermarket fun. Will
Old 06-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

****, scary!
Old 06-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you caught it before it was too late.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

phew! i thought your engine blew. i really want supercharged 996 engines to last (be it EVO, TPC, RUF...) to prove that the m96 engine is a strong engine and that it's not the redheaded stepchild in the porsche family.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This hose has plenty of clearance if it is installed properly. The hose is too stiff to move with any engine torque, and since all related components are attached to the block, everything moves the same amount anyway. Just make sure you check for proper clearence when you put the new hose on and the belt is in place. You will need to remove the tube between the blower and the aftercooler and release the belt at that point to make it easier to get to the connector on the block. Check to make sure your belt is not too stretched as a floppy belt could occasionally hit the oil hose. (as well as cause your SC and other accessories to slip)

If you need piece of mind, take a short piece of thin wall conduit (3/4") and slide it over the hose down to the bottom area. If the belt hits occasionally, no damage will be done to either the belt or hose. But, like I said above, if you position the hose connector at the correct angle, you will have plenty of clearance and have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Supercharger when kaboom

The belt is not at all close to the supply oil line, only the return line which I first suspected. I will try to post pictures of the hose when I get it off. Clearance on my car connot be increased due to the coolant clamp and hose are fixed very near the exit of the supply line from the block. Either the clamp may be rotated out the way or perhapse a 45 degree fitting from the block. For now I will shield that 2 or 3 in segment with something like copper or aluminum pipe split and slipped on the new hose. I don't think plastic will hold up. Again a stainless steel braided hose would be ideal. Will

Last edited by wyo996; 06-09-2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: terminology
Old 06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyo996
The belt is not at all close to the supply oil line, only the return line which I first suspected. I will try to post pictures of the hose when I get it off. Clearance on my car connot be increased due to the radiator clamp and hose are fixed very near the exit of the supply line from the block. Either the clamp may be rotated out the way or perhapse a 45 degree fitting from the block. For now I will shield that 2 or 3 in segment with something like copper or aluminum pipe split and slipped on the new hose. I don't think plastic will hold up. Again a stainless steel braided hose would be ideal. Will
uncoated braided stainless will saw into anything it comes into contact with. be sure to get the rubber (i think goodyear) coated stuff.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish I had a fiberoptic camera to show the actual location in situ because I hope to fix it without dissmanteling the whole system, but if I do remove the SC I can get better pictures. Again this may just be on the C4S. I had a similar problem at first install last year with a water coolant line that was cut by the belt on first install and used a shield and fitting to rerout the line. I had one of the first C4S SC'ed at the time and Nacelle in Canada who did his at that time had similar problems. I just want to pass on my problems with everyone to help them avoid the same thing. Will
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I thought this was something VERY bad by your title..... Has anyone heard of any REAL engine failures with the 996 SC yet?

-Eli
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo996
The belt is not at all close to the supply oil line, only the return line which I first suspected. I will try to post pictures of the hose when I get it off. Clearance on my car connot be increased due to the coolant clamp and hose are fixed very near the exit of the supply line from the block. Either the clamp may be rotated out the way or perhapse a 45 degree fitting from the block. For now I will shield that 2 or 3 in segment with something like copper or aluminum pipe split and slipped on the new hose. I don't think plastic will hold up. Again a stainless steel braided hose would be ideal. Will
Sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you were refering to the drain line that goes to the block in the cetnter. I now know you are refering to the FEED ine. Where did it break? I can't see where it would be able to rub against anything if installed following EVO instructions.?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

This reminds me to carry a roll of duct take (manco brand) in my 911! Glad to hear it was a happy ending!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by Hotbasco
This reminds me to carry a roll of duct take (manco brand) in my 911! Glad to hear it was a happy ending!!!
You aint kidding..... I was in San Diego just a week ago and one of the plastic parts under the car came un-screwed.... I was able to take out my roll of black duct tape and be on my way..... If I didn't have it I don't know what I would have done without some extra scews that I didn't have with me.....

VERY GOOD IDEA.....

-Eli

Quick Reply: Supercharger went kaboom