Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help: Going from Double DIN head unit to Single DIN. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Help: Going from Double DIN head unit to Single DIN. What do I need?

My 2003 C4S came with a double-DIN head unit and Bose (with MOST). It never had a single-DIN head unit. This:

When I bought the car, the previous owner had already removed the Bose amp and installed a double-DIN head unit (and amp) and replaced a few of the Bose speakers. This:

I want to do something counter-intuitive and go for a less sophisticated single-DIN head unit that's modern with BT audio. I don't want the big screen I have now (above).

I want to rearrange my equipment like so:

These pics are from the internet and are of a Boxter, but the execution is exactly what I want to do except I'll use a modern single-DIN head unit:

I'll either have double-cubbys because I'm always in search of somewhere to store stuff in the car. Or, I'll go for the GT3 center console delete to get more leg room. I haven't decided yet, but I need to get the hard part sorted first.

What parts do I need to convert this car, that never had single-DIN, to using single-DIN?

Internet and forum searches all have info about the other way around (single to double). I can't find a source to explain how to go from double to single. Please forgive me if this has been covered before (I'm pretty sure it has...somewhere). If it has, please provide a link to it.

PS

I'm also gonna reroute my seat-heater buttons to the center console where the dummy blanks for the non-existant rear windows are. It makes more sense for the seat heater buttons to be there...near the seats that are getting the heat. Also, it makes use of the dummy buttons and turns them into something useful.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cqhall; Yesterday at 12:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,670 Likes on 922 Posts

You will need the single DIN front and rear support frame (part # 11, 13, and 20). Be extra careful when ordering and make double sure you're getting the correct part ordered. This is because some of these parts are painted or have wood or carbon fiber treatment and that comes at a significant cost. The basic part (satin black) is cheap.
Link:
https://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-...section=809-02

Support Frame:
Porsche part# 9965522311101C

Radio (rear support) Bracket:
Porsche part# 99655267303

Climate Control Back Support
Porsche Part# 99657350100

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; Yesterday at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much, @ZuffenZeus!!

I'm ordering now.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Parts have been ordered. Some have to come from Germany. I'll report back when I start the reconfiguration and install. It'll be a while to gather everything, including the new head unit.
Old Today, 12:28 AM
Ian Cooke
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My (non-MOST) 02 C2 made this switch because I had 2DIN original PCM and wanted console delete. 1) I recommend GT3 console delete without reservation. Gives your eye and your knee a noticeable bit more room
2) You may wish to order seat heater switches for *Boxster*, which’ll have the pictogram in its proper orientation for the new location.
Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (Today)
Old Today, 12:53 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ian Cooke
My (non-MOST) 02 C2 made this switch because I had 2DIN original PCM and wanted console delete. 1) I recommend GT3 console delete without reservation. Gives your eye and your knee a noticeable bit more room
2) You may wish to order seat heater switches for *Boxster*, which’ll have the pictogram in its proper orientation for the new location.
Enjoy!
That's a good idea. I got the idea to move the buttons from looking at a Boxter with heated seats and I did notice that the orientation of the icons were different. If I'm gonna do it, I may as well do it right.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person with this idea. I haven't searched around for it, yet. I wonder how difficult it is. If I'll have to splice/extend wires or if the current wiring will work and it's as simple as moving them.

Quick Reply: Help: Going from Double DIN head unit to Single DIN. What do I need?