996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Itzkirb's garage door opener Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:03 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all you pre 2002 owners, you can just spray the matte switch with a few coats of clear. It's been almost a year now and it still looks like all the other switches.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMDEG
For all you pre 2002 owners, you can just spray the matte switch with a few coats of clear. It's been almost a year now and it still looks like all the other switches.

Good idea on the clear coat spray...never thought of that...
Old 05-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Darren...

What kind of garage door opener do you have?

Genie.
I think I will wire power to it too. It is 12 volt. I will de-solder the battery prongs shown at the bottom circuit board. Then after all appropriate soldering spray both sides with conformal spray, masking off the transmitter.

Its not available in gloss finish like we have in our cars...so I used another one...Its $33.00 at Sunset.
Which switch did you use if not the matte one? I guess I could do what Tom suggested and spray it with clear.

-Darren
Old 05-26-2005, 03:58 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

At least the targa switch kinda sorta looks like a garage door. plus it's a two way switch so you can use one way for the garage door and the other for something else. I did this on a friends C4 to open his garage and his entry gate.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMDEG
At least the targa switch kinda sorta looks like a garage door. plus it's a two way switch so you can use one way for the garage door and the other for something else. I did this on a friends C4 to open his garage and his entry gate.
I use my targa switch to control two separate garage doors . . . one per side. Is it still possible to make it light up if you are using both sides? Mine is not illuminated right now . . .
Old 05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I use my targa switch to control two separate garage doors . . . one per side. Is it still possible to make it light up if you are using both sides? Mine is not illuminated right now . . .
Hi TD

I got the switch to light up. Tapped into the window power with no splicing but a nice clean wrap...looks neat.

One thing I noticed is the fact that the range the garage door works now is cut in half. The board sitting down in the console area does shield the antenna a bit...but it works very well...

Once again...thx to Kirb for for the idea and directions.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

To increase the range I put my opener behind the front center dash console. Plus it makes it easier to change the batteries in 5yrs when they die.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:24 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

That's awesome, Kirb. I'm going to add this mod to my car as soon as I have the chance.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishman
That's awesome, Kirb. I'm going to add this mod to my car as soon as I have the chance.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Obviously an old thread, but I would like to say thanks to Itzkirb for posting up the instructions for this DIY mod.

IT was a piece of cake
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Here is the write-up I did on mine:

Integrated Garage door opener DIY

Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woa - blast from the past. Where is Itzkirb these days?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

I'm right here =)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Two "Door" One Switch Wiring?

Down in the thread there is the comment that you can use the one switch (the 996 613 119 10 A05?) to control two different garage door openers.

Can someone post/confirm the wiring method to do so (I see the diagrams for one door, but unless I've missed a post don't see how to hook up the second one).

Guess (?): Use the horizontal spade as a common point for one wire from each of the openers and attach the the remaining wires separately to each of the middle vertical spades ? If so, does it matter which wires from the opener go to the common spade?

If correct or there is a different method, can I assume this doesn't change the lighting option (attaching/tapping the two outer spades to another switch's light spades?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Gixxed_Spyder
5th Gear

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by smichael
Down in the thread there is the comment that you can use the one switch (the 996 613 119 10 A05?) to control two different garage door openers.

Can someone post/confirm the wiring method to do so (I see the diagrams for one door, but unless I've missed a post don't see how to hook up the second one).

Guess (?): Use the horizontal spade as a common point for one wire from each of the openers and attach the the remaining wires separately to each of the middle vertical spades ? If so, does it matter which wires from the opener go to the common spade?

If correct or there is a different method, can I assume this doesn't change the lighting option (attaching/tapping the two outer spades to another switch's light spades?
Ever figure this wiring out? [I know I resurrected this thread from the dead]

Quick Reply: Itzkirb's garage door opener Mod