Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When should mileage be a concern for used?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:44 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should mileage be a concern for used?

I am interested in everyones opinions on mileage.. I have been doing some looking for a early model 996 99-2001 range, under 40K. Mileage's vary all over the place, and i was curious as to everyones thoughts on it. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Talking

After one mile be concerned....

I would PPI the car if you are concerned...... It's a small price to pay for your vehicle....

Condition can vary even with low miles. I know some people who can put a real hurt on their vehicles especially if they don't plan on keeping them long "lease".....

Others can have in excess of 75K and have high compression.... I would say to try to shoot for the later of models if at all possible.

As my daugher would say......

99 - O.K. "non-e-gas"
00 - Good
01 - Better
02-04 - Best

-Eli
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I think it all depends... Is this to replace your beautiful C4 cab?
IMHO, miles is one thing but how a car was serviced/driven during those miles is another. You could be looking at a low mile driven-hard car v.s. a pampered freeway-driven higher mileage car. Try to get as much info as you can on the car, the previous owner(s), the service history, etc, etc. That will provide all the important pieces of the puzzle.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 AM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast40th
I think it all depends... Is this to replace your beautiful C4 cab?
No, not at all. I would like to get a coupe and am looking at all them that are available, and most seem in the 40K range on milage, some much much higher and some a bit lower. I just am not sure where someone might say that is a bit to high. Just want to make an informed decision.... i would get the PPI and try and get it through Porsche as well, but often private is more resonable $$ for the car..
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default c4bliss, how do you plan to use the car?

Of course, higher mileage cars are going to be less expensive to buy.

If you are going to use the car as a daily driver, and put a bunch of miles on it, it may be best to search for a low mileage car so that your car doesn't become a high mileage car. When I sold my 98 Boxster, it had 61k mi on it and was difficult to sell because of all the lower mileage cars on the market.

According to Bruce Anderson, 7-9k miles/year should be normal for 996, and high mileage cars should be worth 10%-20% less. YMMV.

If you're only going to drive it occasionally, 4-5k a year, you can save some money and buy a higher mileage car.

I think of it as every mile has a cost, and basically, you are going to pay for every mile you put on the car (depreciation). So, the mileage and price of the car should correlate. And select the mileage/price combo which best serves your usage/budget.

As a data point, I bought my 99 Cab 12 months ago, and it had 25k miles on it. It now has almost 36k mi.

IMHO, YMMV.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Excellence Magazine also subscribes to the 7-9K miles/year criteria.........I'm with Fast40th - it's not so much how many miles as what kind.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd rather have a well cared for car with high miles than a neglected low miles car.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a '99 with 61k miles on it. It sucks for those of us who drive their cars daily and put miles on them that they are looked upon as "high mileage". If this was a regular car it would be low mileage and I could ask a premium for it.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
c4bliss
Racer

I agree with everyone on the statement not so many but what kind of miles. I was concerned really with where in the life of a 996 does mechanical issues come up. I have never owned a high mileage Porsche so i am not sure when to expect issues (i know they can pop up any time, but a lot more likely at 90K then 20K). A well maintained car will obviously last longer, so records, maint. work completed and a good PPI will be important for me when i decide. Anyone have any idea when general maintenance issues come up on a 996 in regards to mileage?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless you ever plan on selling you car (which I don't) who cares about the miles. These are very dependable cars. Over 3/4 of ALL porsches ever made are still on the road doing what they were built for......pure driving satisfaction
Old 04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Concur with LVDell on this one. I've had a 240Z that I kept 195K miles and traded in on a new 280ZX Turbo, which I kept for 175K miles. If you like a car, keep it up and hang on to it.

We ordered our 2002 Coupe with a bunch of options and never plan to sell her. A friend likens Porsches to light airplanes - engine overhauls when needed, keep up the rest of the airframe and fly 'em for decades......
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c4bliss
Anyone have any idea when general maintenance issues come up on a 996 in regards to mileage?
I haven't seen much written about high-mileage 996's. In Excellence Sept 04, B.A. mentions a reader who had 112k on his 99 with no problems other than an oil leak that cured itself.

Coolant reservoirs and washer fluid reservoirs tend to crack with age, but that is not mileage related. RMS failure: doesn't seem to be mileage related. Intermediate Shaft failure: doesn't seem to be mileage related. Porous block failures are certainly not mileage related. Transmission failures: do not seem to be mileage related. Coolant hoses fail, and aren't cheap, but those also seem to be age related and not mileage related.

Perhaps a thread requesting high mileage owner's experiences would be helpful.

Last edited by Kevin H. in Atl..; 04-19-2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
c4bliss
Racer

i never plan on selling either one, the cab or the new coupe we pick out.. they are just to much fun to own!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:35 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

40-60k is about as old I'd go. Price will reflect mileage, condition, and model year. I'd opt for 02+.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

It makes me sad when “enthusiast” are more worried about the resale on their vehicles rather than the pure enjoyment of owning them.

If you want appreciation buy land. “They’re not making anymore of that stuff anymore”…… J

-Eli

Quick Reply: When should mileage be a concern for used?