Sponsored by:

Cab Rear Plastic Window Is Separating From Top

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:34 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cab Rear Plastic Window Is Separating From Top

My rear plastic window on my cab is starting to separate from the top.

There is about an inch and a half of open space now between the top of the plastic window and the cab roof! It looks as if the glue/adhesive has degraded in this area causing the plastic window to start to separate.

My plastic window is not torn, is crystal clear and not in bad condition at all.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have this "re-glued" to fix the problem rather then replacing the entire window (or top!)?

The issue is that my car is out of warranty and my lease is up in 3-4 months and I do not want to incur serious out of pocket expenses this close to trade-
in.

There is a convertible/upholstery shop in LA called Markels that I was going to visit next week to discuss with them.

Any advise appreciated. I searched the boards and found some with the same problem but no real answer on this issue.

Rio
Old 09-25-2004, 11:29 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a tech working on a cab rear window and from what I saw and you describe, it seems as if your "glue" has come lose!. There is a woven copper wire that runs around the entire rear glass that is embedded in the glue. Once the window is in place by zipping the micro teeth zippers and placing the window into an aluminum jig (specially made by Porsche and probably costing more then a pentagon toilet seat cover), the woven wire is hooked up to a transformer and an electric current is applied. The wire heats, melts the glue, seals the seal, then the current is removed.

Presto...an H20 proof seal!! I believe it could be done again to reseal since that is how they remove the glass also. It seems an amazingly elegant and scientific solution!

It sounds like, baring any rips, etc, that yours needs to be reglued. After seeing the Porsche specfic jig, I'd wonder if an after market place would have this item. It seems to be imperative!

The tech mentioned that you shouldn't leave your top down all the time. Evidently it likes being up better since it doesn't strain some of the cables involved!

I don't have a dog in this race as I have a Coupe!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If it is just a leased car that goes back in 3 months is there a penalty for this? If not then I would go to any upholstery shop and get it "reglued". However, if there is a penalty, then I would swing by the dealer and ask them what's up with that. They may (always a chance) take care of it for you or for a minimal cost. They are the ones with the special machine and the upholstery shop probably just hot glue guns it.

Quick Reply: Cab Rear Plastic Window Is Separating From Top