996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Naked Women (or men as the case may be) and Transmission Fluid in your 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Naked Women (or men as the case may be) and Transmission Fluid in your 996

Forgive me for the bait and switch, but nobody even looked at my question regarding transmission fluid, and I am sure that many on this board have the answer to some or all of my questions.

I have and love the B&M Short Shift Kit on my 996. I have heard that there is a "redline cocktail" that makes the shifts even smoother. I have the following questions about this:

1) Why does this cocktail make shifting smoother, particularly in the wintertime?
2) Is there any downside to using this cocktail?
3) Could using the cocktail cause me warranty problems if I subsequently have transmission problems (i.e., would it be obvious to the Dealer that I had swapped out transmission fluids?
4) What is the recipe for the cocktail?
5) How difficult is it to change transmission fluids?
6) I know you shouldn't drive, but Is there any problem with working on your Porsche after cocktails?
7) Apart perhaps from those posting on the grid girls thread, does anyone post in the off topic forums before cocktails?

Thanks in advance.

TD in DC

P.S. I tried to search the archives but could not find the answers to these questions. I am sure they are there, but I could not find them easily.

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-07-2004 at 05:54 PM. Reason: The former title of "Transmission Fluid" Didn't Generate Enough Interest
Old 09-07-2004, 06:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Goodness, here is message that contains the four pillars of life! TD in DC has it all figured out (except perhaps the make-up and effect of the tranny fluid he is seeking):

1. Women in natural state
2. Coctails
3. Porsche
4. German literature

Now, how to rank and prioritize them...

Say, TD...you aren't by any chance a fellow academic, are you?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:48 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

You (almost) caught me. Yes, I at one time came very close to becoming a professor, but after spending time with several while I lived in Germany, I decided that my "idea" of what it would be like to be a professor simply did not match "reality." I am toying with the idea of teaching on an adjunct basis, but I have yet to take any steps to make that happen. I am glad you caught my attempt at humor.

So, professor, do you have any answers to the important questions I posed?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked BUT I still dont have an answer for you!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:34 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe redline oils have red dye in them so the dealer could tell if you were using it. It would probably void your warranty.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this helps, but in racing transmissions, both VW and 356, I use a 5 weight oil. It makes shifting slick and it cuts down on the power loss in the gearbox, which is important in low horsepower cars. Sometimes, in a pinch, I have seen ATF used as a gearbox oil.

Two caveats: First, this stuff always finds a way to leak past the best of seals and onto your floor/trailer/whatever. Two, under no circumstances would I do this on a street car, as the gains are marginal, especially relative to the astronomically reduced service life of a gearbox with light oil. In racing, short life gearboxes are a routine expense.

Steve
99 996
64 356C
62 356B
76 930
Old 09-08-2004, 02:19 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castrol Syntorq LT info

Tranxaxle oils are tricky. With syncronizers you need a GL4 oil which may not have enough extreme pressure additives to protect the ring and pinion. Porsche transaxles have more offset than is ideal in the ring and pinion gears. This is to get the engine crankshaft centerline as low as possible. This increases the loads on the ring and pinion gears. An oil with more extreme pressure additives (to protect the ring and pinion gears) may not be compatible with the syncronizers. The additives can corrode the brass parts or make the syncronizers too slippery to work properly.
I'd stick with the OEM oil. If you change the oil you run the risk of getting eilher malfunctioning syncronizers or premature wear on the ring and pinion.
Here is the response to an inquiry sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."
Castrol TAF-21 (Nr. N 052 911 C0), which I assume is similar to TAF-x was used in some Boxter transaxles
IF Syntorq LT has enough additives to protect the ring and pinion it may be a good choice.

Last edited by ebaker; 09-08-2004 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Naked Women (or men as the case may be) and Transmission Fluid in your 996