996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dealer refusing to allow offsite PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:35 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer refusing to allow offsite PPI?

This is a strange situation. I wanted to see what the Rennlist thought of it.

Im in NYC and I found a car that meets my requirements at Brandywine. Now I know Brandywine has a great rep and this car is certified, so I figured smooth sailing all the way.

The thing is, since I'm remote, I figured I would have an independent PPI done before I take a day off and a long *** ride down to PA.

For the PPI, I selected Performance Automotive. I figured this would be a no-brainer since both of these places seem to be very well respected in the Porsche community.

Everything was going ok when all of a sudden the Brandywine sales manager decided that they "will not allow the car off premises" and that Performance Automotive would have to go to the dealership to see the car. I got the feeling that the Perf Auto guys were a little insulted by this and told me they wouldnt be able to do the PPI.

Now Im stuck and Im not sure what to do. I have a good faith deposit on the car, so its not as if I'm a total "out of the blue" caller. Brandywine has such a good rep (and the car is certified), that I dont want to just forget the whole thing since the car really is nearly exactly what I was looking for.

Any opinions on this situation? Is this policy Brandywine has typical?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certified and Brandywine has a good rep. Maybe they have had some "personal" dealing with Performance, ex-employees, etc and don't like to deal with them.

If you think it is a good car, and remember it has to meet certain criteria to be certified, buy it. And then have it checked out. Anything found would be covered under the warranty.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd most definetely pass no matter what Brandywine's rep if they can't give you a legitimate reason why they are scared to have someone not making money on the car look at it.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't think Brandywine is being totally unreasonable, given the liabilities of allowing the car off premises, not that they couldn't do it, plus possibly concern over someone else messing with the car. Since its certified, it doesn't seem to be a big issue.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recision Period

You are covered if your state has a 3 day recision period on new and used auto purchases from dealers. I am not sure about NJ as far as this law.

Cabman
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Think it is fine

I have bought certified porsches sight unseen from reputable dealers.....I never asked for an outside PPI nor have I ever encountered a problem post purchase.......It is a pain for the dealer in terms of time and third party liability......your dealer is in an agent capacity for PCNA or the factory in fact by signing off on certification....a PPI is not the end all on a newer Porsche
Old 08-12-2004, 10:20 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don't think that for the buyer the issue is necessarily one of finding hidden damage or the like. I would think that the PPI would be able to note such things as small dings and general condition of the car. One of the cars that I looked at was a St. Louis dealer certified 996 Cab, and while it was in very good/excellent condition, there were some touch-ups and some wear that would be noted by an impartial party. Knowing such things up front may make a difference.

Geert
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpallem
Well, I don't think that for the buyer the issue is necessarily one of finding hidden damage or the like. I would think that the PPI would be able to note such things as small dings and general condition of the car. One of the cars that I looked at was a St. Louis dealer certified 996 Cab, and while it was in very good/excellent condition, there were some touch-ups and some wear that would be noted by an impartial party. Knowing such things up front may make a difference.

Geert
It wouldn't be the first time a P-car dealer has sold a car with paintwork after claiming none was present.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I went with Brandywine when I got my 01 tt -- I have nothing but good things to say about them. I pass quite a few Porsche dealers on the way out to them.

For the car to be certified, it must pass a long list from Porsche that they must then sign off on. They will show you this and give you a copy. I think this may change your mind about the car.

If the car still has its 4/50 warranty in place - it is no different than buying a new car -- since everything is covered. I do not see the need for a second inspection.

When I was looking I noticed that all the used cars they had were certified and the cars they had were all nice. Other dealers may have had more cars but they were not as nice.

Many dealers do not want to go to the trouble or time -- of the process. They just want to sell cars.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
TurboMark
Pro

PASS. The right of a neutral inspection is 100% reasonable ...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:44 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche does not allow any dealer to certify a car without a thorough inspection, and if the car has had body damage it can't be certified.

I think the "certification" far exceeds and supercedes the value of a PDI. You get a warranty to boot!

I wouldn't even worry about it, enjoy a nice bottle of wine with the money you save on the PDI.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Hello Ben

Ben as you know new Porsches are frequently painted, repaired etc from damage in transit from the factory at the ports of entry.....then shipped to dealer......I got one once.......

Having said that, if you don't have confidence in the dealer's employes, then one should get off their butt and go look at the damn car in person.....hell even take a trained "eye" with you

there can be minor flaws , new or used.....
Old 08-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Totally disagree. You should have the right to have the car inspected by a local 3rd party. It is very resonable. Off premises? What, do they make you take a test drive around the parking lot? What a crock!

There are plenty of P-cars out there...
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 AM
RAC
Racer

I would take a pass. Certified or not.

How many times have I read on this board "always get a PPI." I know of an Audi dealership that certified an A6 even though it was a recovered stolen and wrecked car. I felt so sorry for the guy after a short period of ownership he started having problems with it. Then he found out the true nature of the car. I don't think it is to much to ask for a PPI by a local 3rd party.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If an Audi dealership did that then there was fraud involved..and the appropriate remedies.

The "certified" car is as worry free as it gets. Spend some time to understand what Porsche requires of a dealership to certify a car versus a "cursory" PDI and you'll see it's a no brainer. Some people posting here obviously don't!

Ask each party to give you the guidelines for PDI and the "certified" program... yes they have them.

Quick Reply: Dealer refusing to allow offsite PPI?