Sponsored by:

T.E. rollbar safe in a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JimB
It has convinced me to switch from a 5 point to a 6 point harness and to buy a Hans device so at least I'm helping the racing economy.
Jim
JimB,

Can you elaborate why you switched from a 5-point to a 6-point harness?

Thanks!
Jake
Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,
You don't just "get" this title, you have to earn it. I certainly hope you never do.

Jake,
Again, I'm no expert but I can parrot what the real experts are saying. Apparently it has been discovered that keeping your hips/pelvis in place is very important to safety in a serious crash. I guess if your hips stay in place the movement of the rest of your body is greatly reduced. Everybody knows that belts stretch somewhere around 15% so you are going to move around, even with tight harnesses. My understanding of the value of 6 pt vs 5 pt is that the 6 pt sub-belt limits the side to side movement of the lock as well as vertical movement. Apparently they do a much better job of keeping your lower body from moving.

The tricky part on a 996 is mounting a 6 pt. The computer is sitting right where you should drill through the floor.
Jim
Old 06-02-2004, 07:52 PM
JakeMate
Racer

That's interesting....I just switched mine from an incorrectly mounted 6-point to a 5-point. Here's why: I went to Sube Sports in Huntington Beach and they checked out my setup. I had a 6-point with the sub belt splitting off and mounting to the two front seat bracket fastening points. I never thought this was a good idea but this is what Northstar Motorsports recommended to me. The guys at Sube said that the 6-point sub belt should never go through the hole in the seat. The two straps are meant to go through your crotch and under your legs (on top of your seat)....then get fastened to the lap belt locations.

So I switched my sub belt to a single (5-point) and mounted it to the middle of a steel bracket that I built spanning across the front of my seat bracket. They said that mounting through the floor with a backing plate is the best and I agree, but I didn't want to get that crazy.

Any comments regarding safety would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jake,
There are two different types of 6 point harnesses. The ones your shop was refering to come through the lap belt holes and lay on the seat. You sit on them and then attach them to the camlock. I think they are intended to keep you from submarining rather that keeping your hips in place.

The other type go through the normal sub-belt hole. As I recall they should be mounted through the floor (or similar) about 6-8 inches apart and directly below where the camlock is when you are buckled in. I looked for a site that shows proper installation but I could not find one. I think there are pictures on the Simpson site.
Jim
Old 06-03-2004, 12:58 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Thanks Jim.

Quick Reply: T.E. rollbar safe in a street car?