996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I thought the Michelin PS were quiet tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I have the PSs on my 90 and love them. Only about 5,000 miles on them and noise is real low now at least compared to the motor. I defintely feel that the PSs ride better and handle better than other tires I have used: Contis, P-Zeros, Bridgestones, and Dunlaps.

What about PS2s. I have a set in that will be installed on Tuesday. The CGT is also using the PS2s.

I was concerned about the no N rating on the PS2s and made numerous calls including 3 people at Tire Rack and Michelin customer service and tech department. I also spoke with my Porsche service manager about the PS2s and N ratings. The consesus was that the PS2s have better grip, better sidewall construction, closer in circumference than the N rated tires for the TT, have a higher load bearing capacity and will simply run circles around anything else out there.

Obviously, the PS2s are new and just apparently have received an N rating because Porsche has yet to designate them as OE equipment, except for the CGT, but even those sizes don't have the N rating as of yet. Apparently, the PS2s are simply the tire to get right now.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:54 AM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, The roads in Charlotte and surrounding areas very much suck.
Tread wear wise I have more than 1/2 left, much more actually.
But there are a couple smooth roads here...mind you just a couple and the PS's are noisy on them as well
Old 06-01-2004, 11:31 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Dunlops on my car, and they were great, really quiet, performed well in wet and dry. I got a new set of rims that came with Pirellis, I really don't like em, noisy and harsh ride...when they wear out I'll prob switch back...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Just picked up my TT with the PS2s. The ride is much quieter than the P-Zeros and the ride feels very nice. New tired so I am not pushing them yet, but the ride comfortability is definitely okay with these tires.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The wah wah sound is usually the result of cupping on the tread. Can be caused by alignment or out of balance wheel. The PS2 is a great tire in my view.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:27 AM
lexpilot
Racer

SYMA,
Just to start an argument North Carolina has the best roads in the USA in my opinion. We drove across the USA in a 5 week trip a few years ago. The year prior to that we flew to Raleigh and spent 2 weeks driving from DC to Savannah. We do lots of road trips. At least one 2000 mile trip each year for 10 years or so, I've only driven in 44 of the states but I have maintained for some time that NC has the best roads. The worst ? Michigan.
Just my opinion.
Robin
Old 06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
SYMA
Pro

Hmmmm. Interesting. I-85 from Charlotte to Greensboro a complete nightmare. It has been under construction for 4 years and I have yet to see any new pavement come out of this 100 mile stretch of road.

I-77 in and around Charlotte is 50/50 in terms of it's condition.

I-40 west of I-77 don't go there.

Independence Blvd

South Blvd

All of Uptowns roads except Tryon which is nice

Moorehead into Providence

Trade Street

I can go on and on......

Avoid these roads at all cost

And what upsets me is that I alone in the last 4 years of having my cars registered here have given the state About $3600 in property tax on these cars, excluding sales tax.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
lexpilot
Racer

SYMA,
This year my plan was to drive across the USA using the southern route through NM,TX,LA, MS,AL, GA to FLA. Return through SC, NC, KY, TN, and so forth. But the calendar has really filled up this year and I feel I need 5 weeks to get a good trip. You live in a good part of the world. My cousin lives in Chapel Hill but we've already seen them here in Oregon a month ago.
I'll have to defer to your critique of NC roads. However, your gas is very cheap compared to the west coast. $2.47 a gallon for 91 octane, here.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
SYMA
Pro

Yes Robin our gas is cheap compared to other states.
This is a beautiful state indeed. Great beaches and beautiful mountains, mild weather most of the time.
Charlotte is a stunning small city with some of the grandest neighborhoods in America, it's just that our roads plain old stink!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Webtool
Instructor

I got the wah-wahs all at once on some nearly new Yoko winters (off now). Once you start to focus on something like that you can't hear anything else until it gets way out of proportion. Is this part of the P-car disease?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
SYMA
Pro

Hey Webtool,
Both my 2001 Boxster S and 2003 C2 do it, Both have completely different tires. P- Zeros on the S.

I believe it is some characteristic of the Porsche and/or performance tires.
No other car or type of tire I have had do this nor have I had alignment issues with any other vehicle. WAIT ! my Renault Le Car in college got an alignment after I hit a deer and a tree with it then bounced out of the ditch and slammed into a guard rail still going around 35 or so.
Got it aligned and was good to go for another 50K miles at least with no issues, and if I remember they were Michelins. Boy did I have fun back then
Old 06-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Webtool
Instructor

SYMA
Also, the unidirectional tread pattern wears the blocks. If you could rotate the wheels like normal cars we'd be in that quiet zone, but then again, I'll take the wah-wahs. Although my driving history is not as rich and colourful as yours I didn't buy the car to save on rubber either.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

I must be missing a part of my brain cause if you ask me to describe or compare the amount of road noise from the various tires I have used, I couln't be able to, even if my life depended on it. Its something I just never notice, it never bothers me to attract my attention. Maybe its different road surfaces?

That said, I'm using PS2's and love 'em performance wise like Doug H. said, and do an excellent job in the rain at high speeds, so far.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Carlos from Spain
I must be missing a part of my brain cause if you ask me to describe or compare the amount of road noise from the various tires I have used, I couln't be able to, even if my life depended on it. Its something I just never notice, it never bothers me.
LOL! I could say the same. But, it also seems that people will never get the fact that all worn tires will be noisier than any given new tire. So, when they change from an older to a new tire, it's always a quieter one no matter what brand(s) they are. There is no way to remember how noisy a given tire was when new at the time of a changeover.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:20 PM
SYMA
Pro

That settles it !! I am ordering a damn PSE . Screw the tire noise

Quick Reply: I thought the Michelin PS were quiet tires