Sponsored by:

The Unloved 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 07:11 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by silver99six
So during my first oil change I had the mechanic set aside a sample so I can send the oil out for Blackstone Lab analysis. The results quelled my buyer's remorse and made me feel better knowing that the oil was relatively clean.

All looks OK if you ask me

I also went for my first proper wash at my buddy's shop. We cleaned up the *very* tired paint and noted a few areas of deficiency on the exterior. While we were washing the car we blew out the radiators and removed quite a bit of stray foliage.

She was finally looking like a proper 911.

I bought the car sitting on Turbo spec turbo twist wheels. The rear fitment was absolutely crazy, 11" rears on the narrow body just didn't sit right with me (or the car really). A lot of people like this look and told me not to change it, but I knew eventually I will have to get rid of these wheels. You'll also notice how slammed the front end was on the coilovers the previous owner installed. Another thorn in my side

This was also the day I realized I will have to do a proper two stage detail and mini-paint restoration. The paint was so tired and dull even after a detailed wash + ceramic sealant. More to come on that...
Our cars really shine with a good polish. What Products are you using?

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 10-02-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:10 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

I am using Gyeon ceramic coating and it's working very well.
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:30 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Early 2022 I mostly just drove the car. I chased my friend in his 997S and attended a few C&C @ Hayfields in CT.

Did I mention the car has a CEL? Seller told me it was a bad evap sensor - I had the shop run the code while I did my oil change. The code was P0442 "tank vent system: minor leak" was the diagnosis I got. I've since had another shop (the one who then raised my coilovers) replace the Evap purge valve, and Evap purge hose. They then did a smoke test and cleared the code.... it came back of course. I've just been driving around with it, haven't had any issues and it doesn't affect drivability. Just pisses me off to see the light. I've been through a couple shops and didn't have much luck in the NYC/Long Island area. It felt like no one really gave a **** about the car and wouldn't give me straight answers. I'm also very particular about service. I'm more than willing to pay for good service, but hadn't had much luck at this point (mid 2022).

I had some paintless dent removal work completed, I figured if the car at least looks good i'll be more motivated to get it running perfectly. All of this led up to getting a full paint correction and mini-restoration done at my friend's detail shop.

Over 40 hours went into the paint correction with additional time focused on the interior. While we were doing the paint correction the old ****ty tint was removed and I had ceramic tint installed. I think I did 50% because I don't personally like when 911s have dark tint, but I do realize the need for heat/UV protection especially since my car sits outside in my driveway. Anyway, We finished the car off with a 5-year GYEON ceramic coating, which is incredibly hydrophobic and keeps the car looking cleaner for much longer. The depth has been returned to the paint and it glows in the sunlight now. Clean car drive better and you can't convince me otherwise.
The following 6 users liked this post by silver99six:
F. Thumb (03-17-2024), FLTWRLD996 (04-26-2024), freddworks (10-03-2023), GarrettSR5 (10-06-2023), igrip (10-03-2023), imhighlander (10-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:35 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

yeah I have since fully cleaned them out. This thread and daily updates are basically me looking back and recounting/documenting everything I’ve done so far. It’s been a perpetual project haha.

I believe the stock twists were +45 in the rear. They fit the narrow body but just barely. No rubbing at all and the car is pretty low as you can see.
I have the correct 18" Turbo Twist of this period that have been professionally powder coated Anthracite Grey. I have the matching Porsche center caps. PM if interested.

igrip (10-03-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:50 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Early 2022 I mostly just drove the car. I chased my friend in his 997S and attended a few C&C @ Hayfields in CT.

Did I mention the car has a CEL? Seller told me it was a bad evap sensor - I had the shop run the code while I did my oil change. The code was P0442 "tank vent system: minor leak" was the diagnosis I got. I've since had another shop (the one who then raised my coilovers) replace the Evap purge valve, and Evap purge hose. They then did a smoke test and cleared the code.... it came back of course. I've just been driving around with it, haven't had any issues and it doesn't affect drivability. Just pisses me off to see the light. I've been through a couple shops and didn't have much luck in the NYC/Long Island area. It felt like no one really gave a **** about the car and wouldn't give me straight answers. I'm also very particular about service. I'm more than willing to pay for good service, but hadn't had much luck at this point (mid 2022).

I had some paintless dent removal work completed, I figured if the car at least looks good i'll be more motivated to get it running perfectly. All of this led up to getting a full paint correction and mini-restoration done at my friend's detail shop.

Over 40 hours went into the paint correction with additional time focused on the interior. While we were doing the paint correction the old ****ty tint was removed and I had ceramic tint installed. I think I did 50% because I don't personally like when 911s have dark tint, but I do realize the need for heat/UV protection especially since my car sits outside in my driveway. Anyway, We finished the car off with a 5-year GYEON ceramic coating, which is incredibly hydrophobic and keeps the car looking cleaner for much longer. The depth has been returned to the paint and it glows in the sunlight now. Clean car drive better and you can't convince me otherwise.
Gyeon is a solid option, used a SHOW kit on a customer’s car… your car looks fantastic.
silver99six (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:53 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
I have the correct 18" Turbo Twist of this period that have been professionally powder coated Anthracite Grey. I have the matching Porsche center caps. PM if interested.
No thank you - I have since gotten rid of these wheels and put some Sport Classic II on.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:01 PM
silver99six
Advanced

I'm a little out of order here but just before I did the detail in mid/late 2022 I bought the full control arm kit from FCP Euro and swapped them out. Again it felt great to work on my 996 and I had never done a suspension job like this before. I basically just followed the installation video from FCP Euro and with the help of my buddy we got it done together. The control arms were *very* tired and all the bushings were shot. This made such a huge difference in how the front end felt after the job was done.

At least the 996 was in good company. The red car is a Detomasso Guara owned by Phil Toledano (@misterenthusiast). If you don't know anything about this car don't feel bad. I had never heard of it either until I saw he purchased it. Then to see it at the shop was crazy... I had never seen anything like it and the proportions in person are nuts. The car was there for a color change to green since Phil famously hates red. He has a really unique car collection, if you have instagram he's def worth a follow.

Capping off this update with a quick engine bay shot. We cleaned the engine bay and it was minty fresh for about 5 mins and I haven't cleaned it since. Whatever.

igrip (10-03-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 11:03 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Gyeon is a solid option, used a SHOW kit on a customer’s car… your car looks fantastic.
Thanks! Hopefully it looks like your 996 one day. What a beauty!
TheChunkNorris (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 01:31 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Hopefully it looks like your 996 one day. What a beauty!
I appreciate the compliments. It seems like you’re on the same path that I took when picking up the car I 2020. Mine still has a long way to go.
beermanpete (10-08-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 01:57 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 199 Posts

Getting some love now. Hurry up and get us up to date
Old 10-03-2023, 09:22 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Did I mention the car has a CEL? Seller told me it was a bad evap sensor - I had the shop run the code while I did my oil change. The code was P0442 "tank vent system: minor leak" was the diagnosis I got. I've since had another shop (the one who then raised my coilovers) replace the Evap purge valve, and Evap purge hose. They then did a smoke test and cleared the code.... it came back of course. I've just been driving around with it, haven't had any issues and it doesn't affect drivability. Just pisses me off to see the light.
Had the same exact problem and code. Replaced gas cap, rubber seals, checked for vacuum leaks, etc... it ended up being a bad charcoal canister. Must have had a slight leak.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:26 AM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Had the same exact problem and code. Replaced gas cap, rubber seals, checked for vacuum leaks, etc... it ended up being a bad charcoal canister. Must have had a slight leak.
Thanks for sharing! It seems none of the shops that tried to fix it could figure it out. Looks like I’ll be buying a new charcoal canister today.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:30 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for sharing! It seems none of the shops that tried to fix it could figure it out. Looks like I’ll be buying a new charcoal canister today.
Worth a try! Don't forget to clear the code with a scanner or you'll have to complete a drive cycle for it clear itself.
silver99six (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:13 PM
silver99six
Advanced

End of 2022 I didn't work on the car much, or drive it for that matter. Early 2023 I bought Rennline stainless steel brake lines, flushed the brake fluid and went with some Motul RBF 660 in hopes that the new lines/fluid would improve the feel of the new(ish) brakes. It is much better than before but Ive come to the conclusion 996 brakes just dont have great feel on initial bite. They stop like hell once you get into them and perform plenty well for the street. While the car was in the shop I had them do an oil change to Porsche Classic oil 5W50. I asked for them to save me an oil sample so that we could send to Blackstone, however they forgot so I missed out on some more data they also found the variocam sensor plate and timing chain tensioner bolt leaking, the chain was apparently replace and tightened down.

I also have a wicked creaking noise that comes from the front suspension. The shop sprayed WD40 on it and sent me on my merry way... the noise came back after about 5 miles of driving. I have some sort of H&R coilovers on the car currently, they are toast and are on my short list of items to replace.

During my nightly doom-scrolling of FB marketplace I found a lightly used set of OEM Sport Classic II wheels for very cheap locally. I picked them up that weekend and paired them with bridgestone potenza all season tires since I want to drive the car during the winter here in NY (when theres no salt on the roads of course).

The difference between 11" rear tires and 10" rear tires was immediately noticeable. It felt like changing out of work boots and into a pair of running shoes. The car felt way more nimble and I think it looks a hell of a lot better than it used to. I could probably use some spacers front/rear. Any recommendations?

The turbo twists were sold shortly after for a fair price. Good riddance...
TL9Ninesix (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:05 AM
silver99six
Advanced

Over the summer I attended a Hagerty event in Brooklyn for their short film "Racing with Giants" at skyline drive-in. Very cool event and was in good company.

Note the PCA Plates - thats Vu Nguyen's boxster

wdb (10-04-2023)

Quick Reply: The Unloved 911