Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to get 911 996 advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 04:40 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
Complete personal preference. PSM is probably a benefit in wet conditions, but if this is a sunny day weekend car you'll hardly notice a difference. Same with TC. Mine has neither and even when driving in the wet don't feel like any confidence is lost in how the car handles, albeit I'm not exactly pushing the car to it's limits dry or wet.
I feel like this is pretty spot on. My car is a '99 with LSD so it has a rudimentary TC and no PSM and I have driven through snow, sheet ice, torrential down pour, wet/slick, dry, basically every road conditions you can imagine and the only time TC ever kicked in was once or twice on the sheet ice. These cars seem to be really stable and planted, however, my understanding is they are until they aren't and if you do lose the rear end it will be really hard to catch. There was a really nice Millennium edition on here that very possible could have escaped getting totalled if PSM/TC weren't disengaged, but you never know. Personally the only drivers aid I have ever really been fond of is ABS. What a world of difference that makes on snow/ice, you simply can't pump the brakes that fast.

Is the silver car $31k with the new top installed and dully functioning or $31k + all the top work? If the later I would run as Yogi said you could very easily be in $36k, at which I think you can find yourself a better car. Most of the time if IMS is not mentioned than it wasn't done. How long have you been looking? If you are willing to ship a car all the way across the country I think you can definitely find better examples than these, and relatively quickly, just give it a few months. I spent about 4 years looking cross country for mine and it just happened to pop up for sale back in January about 30 minutes from my folks place. I paid about 33% more than the first one I almost bought in 2018, but it is a much better car and except for being my second choice of color is exactly how I would have ordered it from the factory. I have bought cars in a rush and patience certainly pays offs.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:54 PM
hkovalcik
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
Single row is on 996.2 (2001+), the early models have the more robust dual row. Your other statements are correct, earlier models with the 3.4L are much less prone to bore scoring. MY 2000's may not have been on 993 prod line and have e-throttle, but if you sat in a '99 and '00 next to each other you'd notice no difference. At least when I met with a local guy here I could not tell a difference between the two.
Haha, facepalm - long day. You are correct. But yeah of course, was just saying in terms of build quality. Also hate the headlights on the MKI. Actually just picked up some covers from variel automotive and I honestly think they are going to turn out great. Will post pics when done. Missed out on a set of litronics but wanted to give the covers a shot.

Last edited by hkovalcik; 10-11-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate, all the advice!
i’d prefer a southern or West coast car.
looked at dozens of ads, either have accident report or not much history.
I’ll keep checking!
Old 10-11-2022, 06:18 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 251 Posts

There's a guy on YouTube called FourWheelTrader. He discusses, in detail, the market trends on all 911's but the 996 is covered most often as it has seen the most growth overall. Especially well spec'd ones. Mine was pretty much a base model cabriolet, with no PSM or TC. TBH, based on the condition of my rescue 911, I'm glad it didn't because all the sensors that are standard (ABS, speed, etc) were rotted away and needed a complete re-wiring. Not cheap but pretty easy.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:45 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

OK, on the red car. I called a European shop 20 miles from the dealer! They only charge189$ for PPI. Now I don't think they bore scope but they go over everything on the car.
I emailed the dealer, he says if I give 1k deposit I have 3 days and they will drop off car. If anything major wrong with the car they will refund the deposit.
I texted little bit with the Original owner, he can't remember what the bearing was but said very expensive and Rusnak Porsche in Calif recommend the one he gave them to put in.
He did all the recommended services because he knew he would never reach them thu mileage! He didn't seem to care about cost of maintenance . If you look thru his records, his window didn't closer something properly.
He told them take off the hardtop roof and throw it away !lol So he did al recommend service up to 75K! I still will do repeat if necessary.
I like the unique color combo, Orient red with gray interior and gray top.

thanks Yogi, I'll check out the youtube!

Last edited by Jemco67; 10-12-2022 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yogibara (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 03:02 PM
Nephrite
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

To the no PCM/TC question: I am a new owner of a 1998 model so I have neither, so I was curious if it would feel unsafe without it. But to be honest, I can't tell it doesn't have it. With fresh tires that car has naturally sooo much traction and it is glued to the road in corners. I have even driven to a big parking lot in the rain to feel the back end slip, but all I did was driving tight turns really fast The only time I was able to break loose was on a spot with some sand and gravel. I did a controlled 180. Guys with PCM/TC can answer how often they feel it kick in, but my guess it is not very often. The 996 is very confidence inspiring even without PCM.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:04 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nephrite
To the no PCM/TC question: I am a new owner of a 1998 model so I have neither, so I was curious if it would feel unsafe without it. But to be honest, I can't tell it doesn't have it. With fresh tires that car has naturally sooo much traction and it is glued to the road in corners. I have even driven to a big parking lot in the rain to feel the back end slip, but all I did was driving tight turns really fast The only time I was able to break loose was on a spot with some sand and gravel. I did a controlled 180. Guys with PCM/TC can answer how often they feel it kick in, but my guess it is not very often. The 996 is very confidence inspiring even without PCM.
The limited time I had with my 996, before I took it apart, it felt extremely confident. If this was my car, and is not going to be a daily driver, I wouldn't sweat the features missing.

I really like that color combo and the interior looks amazing. I'll say it again, we need a look at her underbelly to see what's leaking.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:12 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Thanks for your input! The car is getting PPI right now as I type this! I found a European garage about 20 miles away from the dealer. The dealer dropped it off!
They told me they had couple places closer but I told them I preferred this place!
Lets see what they come up with.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:13 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Originally Posted by Yogibara
The limited time I had with my 996, before I took it apart, it felt extremely confident. If this was my car, and is not going to be a daily driver, I wouldn't sweat the features missing.

I really like that color combo and the interior looks amazing. I'll say it again, we need a look at her underbelly to see what's leaking.
Getting 3rd party PPI done right now!
What picture are you seeing leaking?
Old 10-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jemco67
Getting 3rd party PPI done right now!
What picture are you seeing leaking?
I think it looks suspicious. Driver side. Could just be really dirty…
Old 10-12-2022, 04:34 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Originally Posted by Yogibara
I think it looks suspicious. Driver side. Could just be really dirty…

I'm excited to get a 996!
I think I see the one your talking about!
To dark to really see.

I know you didn't like the way the person revved it up but how do you think the motor sounded.
I hear that mild ticking.

Last edited by Jemco67; 10-12-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:08 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Nephrite,
Incase your not aware of this but you can get complete build sheet for about $13.00 it will show you everything about your car. Every option etc.
Put in your VIN and pay they will immediately email your PDF, after you get it request to get the english translation! It's fast.
here is link:

https://vinanalytics.com
Old 10-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

I'm excited to get a 996!
I think I see the one your talking about!
To dark to really see.

I know you didn't like the way the person revved it up but how do you think the motor sounded.
I hear that mild ticking.
the engine will tick while it’s warming up. Should go away though. This pic, again very dark.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:34 PM
Jemco67
Track Day

Here is some of report! Told me runs and drives great!
took alot of pics, showing blemishes etc

Last edited by Jemco67; 10-12-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Here is some of report! Told me runs and drives great!
took alot of pics, showing blemishes etc
Overall, looks positive; however, the PPI doesn't seem to cover the vital engine areas or did it?

Here's what I'd like to see if I were paying for a PPI:
1. All cylinders scoped for bore scoring (photographs provided)
2. DME scan to show operation hours, over-rev report, etc.
3. Camshaft deviations
4. Rough Running Index
5. Fuel Trim
6. Readiness Status
7. Any pending DTCs
8. Manometer reading to determine the health of the AOS
9. Oil filter and/or sump inspection
10. IMS bearing replacement documentation of install - date, type of bearing, etc.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to get 911 996 advice