Sponsored by:

Bose MOST issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 10:46 AM
JustinS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose MOST issues

I recently bought a 2004 996 Turbo with a PCM 2.0 unit. Unfortunately, there is no sound through the dreaded Bose MOST system. The E6/E6/Radio fuses are all fine. I looked at the stock amplifier and I noticed a little corrosion on the big rectangular male connector. I replaced the amplifier with a known working unit and also bypassed the cd changer with no change.

There is a faint static sound through the speakers. The PCM 2.0 unit functions fine even though the system has no sound. When the PCM unit has power, you can see a red laser emitting from the MOST plug when it is removed. I can also see a red laser coming out of the amplifier and CD changer MOST plugs when they are individually removed and the fiber link is broken. I cannot connect to any PCM modules that populate in my PIWIS III. The PCM unit will flash a service message for a few seconds and then it gives a communication timeout code. It could be my PIWIS – although I can connect to other modules without an issue. Before I bypassed the cd changer, it would tell me that the changer was unavailable when I selected the button. The CD changer itself does not have a magazine in it so I did not know if that is a normal message to display if there is nothing for the changer to read. It also tells me that the navigation is unavailable when I select the button as well. I am not sure if I have to insert the disc for it to work.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I am leaning towards trying another PCM 2.0 radio. Maybe I can grab one at the Hershey swap meet. In the meantime, does anyone know how the MOST link is daisy chained? Does it go Radio -> Amp -> CD Changer -> Radio? Looking at a picture of an ebay PCM 2.0 navigation module, it does not look like it has a MOST connection based off the plugs on the back of the unit. I do not think my car has a telephone module, as there is nothing under the passenger side seat. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by JustinS; 04-04-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:13 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinS
I recently bought a 2004 996 Turbo with a PCM 2.0 unit. Unfortunately, there is no sound through the dreaded Bose MOST system. The E6/E6/Radio fuses are all fine. I looked at the stock amplifier and I noticed a little corrosion on the big rectangular male connector. I replaced the amplifier with a known working unit and also bypassed the cd changer with no change.

There is a faint static sound through the speakers. The PCM 2.0 unit functions fine even though the system has no sound. When the PCM unit has power, you can see a red laser emitting from the MOST plug when it is removed. I can also see a red laser coming out of the amplifier and CD changer MOST plugs when they are individually removed and the fiber link is broken. I cannot connect to any PCM modules that populate in my PIWIS III. The PCM unit will flash a service message for a few seconds and then it gives a communication timeout code. It could be my PIWIS – although I can connect to other modules without an issue. Before I bypassed the cd changer, it would tell me that the changer was unavailable when I selected the button. The CD changer itself does not have a magazine in it so I did not know if that is a normal message to display if there is nothing for the changer to read. It also tells me that the navigation is unavailable when I select the button as well. I am not sure if I have to insert the disc for it to work.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I am leaning towards trying another PCM 2.0 radio. Maybe I can grab one at the Hershey swap meet. In the meantime, does anyone know how the MOST link is daisy chained? Does it go Radio -> Amp -> CD Changer -> Radio? Looking at a picture of an ebay PCM 2.0 navigation module, it does not look like it has a MOST connection based off the plugs on the back of the unit. I do not think my car has a telephone module, as there is nothing under the passenger side seat. Am I missing anything?
I'd try a new amp before swapping out the head unit. Since the amps are located in the frunk, they are known to go bad. Plus, you can't just swap out a PCM MOST based unit on these cars. Sorry, not plug and play. They have to be coded to your car by the dealership using a PIWIS.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 AM
Kane.jk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for this post! your comment about pccm+ and AC compressor helped me immensely.

Quick Reply: Bose MOST issues