Sponsored by:

NAV data issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NAV data issue

I've noticed the last few times driving my '04 C2 around town that while the NAV map appears to be functioning properly, when I actually depress the NAV button to program in a destination, I am getting a message something like this: "install language data" and the system seems to hang up at that point. Am I doing something wrong, or does this involve a trip to the dealer or a call into NAV-TECH? Thanks in advance. I don't recall every having any issues with the NAV system on my '00 C4.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:55 PM
mozhacker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Navtech CD do you have? 08.2003? I'm assuming yes since you've got an 04 996, just like my 04 C4S I bought.

Assuming you're getting this prompt even though you have either the East or West CD in your PCM, you can try forcing a reset/reload of the stored map and language data.

Force the reset/reload by:

a. Remove whatever CD you have in the PCM
b. Insert the other region CD. e.g. If you last had the West disc in there, insert the East disc (or vice versa)
c. The system will detect this as a new CD rather since it's a different version than what you last had in there. It will prompt you whether you want to load the map data, select Ok and this should reload all the map and language data stored onto the PCM
d. Now remove that CD and insert your own region CD again - this will trigger another reset/reload. Hopefully this should do the trick and you'll be able to input destinations, etc. without seeing the message.
e. note - removing and inserting the same CD version/region as last detected in the PCM won't trigger a reset/reload

By the way, if you do happen to have an 08.2003 version CD, for PCM 3.0 and above, you might also want to verify you have PCM 3.0 loaded on your PCM unit. Press the Trip and Main buttons at same time. If it doesn't say 3.0 for both PCM and software version, that might be your problem as well. Not all 04 model year cars got PCM 3.0.

Also, if you could help me out, if you do have 08.2003 PCM 3.0 and above CD version, do you see 'Porsche Service' under Input Destination -> POI -> Service category?

I'm having an argument with NavTech right now about their batch of 08.2003 CDs missing this othewise always included POI category. They've sent me two 08.2003 CD sets and both are missing the Porsche Service POI category.

Quick Reply: NAV data issue