Sponsored by:

996 MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by MNewman;[url=tel:17354346
17354346[/url]]I've had mine for about a week and am averaging 12mpg.
On the track, I get 7 😁
Old 04-09-2021, 11:57 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,251 Posts

There is a simple rule for those that have been thru driver training for the track.

"You are either on the gas or on the brakes, but never coasting" .

Doesn't help with gas mileage, but it does help to exercise your car the way it was supposed to be driven.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:36 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Itusler,

​​​​​​What would you do or have been instructed to do if you need to service the car beyond an oil change? Ship it to FSI?
Like what, define service beyond an oil change?
Old 04-10-2021, 11:02 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Like what, define service beyond an oil change?
Let me rephrase the question. What servicing/repair should only be done by FSI?

​​​​
Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 AM
Maverick Legacy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting info and posts.

Of course when you apply a bit of Welly it's going to drink a bit more and pull your average way down.

I tend to not thrash mine, every other driver on the road knows what a Porsche is and that it is pretty flipping quick. So most of the time we don't have to prove that do we guys?

Very occasionally one might occasion some dick head in an Audi S/ BMW M....or an AMG Mercedes all splattering and backfiring out to impress his girlfriend...no problem crack on mate. Suddenly he untertakes you and cuts right across you...and one thinks to themselves.. are really sure about that mate?

Nice car mate but it's not one of these is it and you know it? 🥶🥶

You clock his girlfriend and you think, well she is pretty fit like...

She really needs to upgrade... I shouldn't really do this...

Restraint goes out the window....and in a very calculating way you chose your moment carefully and your Porsche will strike like lightening and deliver with no effort, no spluttering or backfiring.... just a very deep rumble...no fuss, no drama..job done 😁😁
Old 04-11-2021, 08:33 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 797 Posts

Dporto,

Two quick questions for you.

1. Since you have an FSI engine, how do you handle servicing it? Has FSI designated a shop that can handle it or do you take it to your preferred shop.

2. Why don't you run it above 4500-5000 rpm very much?

​​​​
I do 99% of my own service. Since having FSI build the engine the only things it’s needed are oil changes and coils. These are well within my abilities as I’ve had the engine and transmission out, done cam chains/tensioners, clutch and installed the IMS Solution (before the FSI build - which Jake gave me a $2k credit for on the build). As for why I rarely get the revs in the 5-7k range (It hits 4-4500 quite often but by no means “lives” there), there are three main reasons: Cops, Deer & other drivers... All three are fairly self explanatory so I won’t get too wordy. Where I live there are plenty of winding back roads where lower revs & speeds are plenty fun, challenging and Adrenalin inducing...
Old 04-11-2021, 08:47 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Itusler,

​​​​​​What would you do or have been instructed to do if you need to service the car beyond an oil change? Ship it to FSI?
^^^NO^^^ There’s magic or mystery about a FSI engine besides it being properly built by one set of hands, with the best parts, rotating masses balanced, some special coatings, clearances, and techniques (gleaned through many years of experience and development). Service is service. If you use a shop you trust there’s no reason they wouldn’t be able to service a FSI engine....
The following users liked this post:
Optionman1 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:56 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
I do 99% of my own service. Since having FSI build the engine the only things it’s needed are oil changes and coils. These are well within my abilities as I’ve had the engine and transmission out, done cam chains/tensioners, clutch and installed the IMS Solution (before the FSI build - which Jake gave me a $2k credit for on the build). As for why I rarely get the revs in the 5-7k range (It hits 4-4500 quite often but by no means “lives” there), there are three main reasons: Cops, Deer & other drivers... All three are fairly self explanatory so I won’t get too wordy. Where I live there are plenty of winding back roads where lower revs & speeds are plenty fun, challenging and Adrenalin inducing...
Thanks dporto.

Good info. As I mentioned in a previous response, just getting my ducks lined up before I talk with Jake on an engine rebuild over the next couple of years as soon as my youngest is out of college and my Porsche "big project" account can fill up again.

Unfortunately, I am not as gifted with mechanical work as you and others may be. So I will need to rely on my current Porsche Shop which does a phenomenal job. Sounds like an FSI engine is low maintenance and all bolt on parts and service is done by owner or owners shop without a problem. This is very good news.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:39 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Thanks dporto.

Good info. As I mentioned in a previous response, just getting my ducks lined up before I talk with Jake on an engine rebuild over the next couple of years as soon as my youngest is out of college and my Porsche "big project" account can fill up again.

Unfortunately, I am not as gifted with mechanical work as you and others may be. So I will need to rely on my current Porsche Shop which does a phenomenal job. Sounds like an FSI engine is low maintenance and all bolt on parts and service is done by owner or owners shop without a problem. This is very good news.
^^^ Exactly ^^^ If or when you speak with Jake, he makes this very clear. He not only builds the engine for the performance level you're looking for, he build it to last for a long time with proper maintenance (not jumping through hoops, just the normal stuff - oil, coolant, hoses, ancillaries). There's certainly nothing "wrong" with bringing your car to a shop - If you have history and trust them, it's all the better. Good luck
GC996 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:22 PM
Alex Kaizer
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My cars calculation says 13.3mpg and that has not moved much for over a year now. Then again, thats definitely due to the way I drive which I would consider extremely spirited.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:55 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is the mileage from my 2002 996 base Carrera (R.I.P., IMS failure). Also a shot of what you can achieve if you are gentle with the throttle

Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,842 Likes on 934 Posts

And you didn't cruise at 55mph! Nice top speed
Old 04-13-2021, 11:36 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cringely
Here is the mileage from my 2002 996 base Carrera (R.I.P., IMS failure). Also a shot of what you can achieve if you are gentle with the throttle

Cringely, sorry to hear about the IMS failure. What happened and what are your next steps?

bmchan (04-13-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 01:31 PM
cringely
Racer

Cringely, sorry to hear about the IMS failure. What happened and what are your next steps?
Ended up selling the car as a roller to Asahi. See https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wn-engine.html for the full story of how Ahsai rebuilt the engine. His posts start at #88. Ashai did a fantastic job of detailing the entire process. If you are considering an IMS rebuild, this is definitely the tread to read.
The thread is currently at 997 posts which I find amusing as I replaced the 996 with a CPO 997 (see avatar).
When I purchased the 996, I had the (non-Porsche) dealer replace the IMS bearing as I knew it was a failure point. I now feel that the job was not properly done, as the motor shrapneled ~22,000 miles after I bought it. I probably would have been better off not touching the bearing. FYI, that dealer now longer exists.

My only (non-IMS) complaints about the 996 were the headlights and look of the dashboard (and to be honest, these are minor). Other than that, I think that it is one of the great bargains fo the automotive industry.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:33 PM
cringely
Racer

Originally Posted by plpete84
And you didn't cruise at 55mph! Nice top speed
Forgot about that

Quick Reply: 996 MPG question