Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   996 1999 - Door window not lowering ENOUGH (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1212444-996-1999-door-window-not-lowering-enough.html)

FRZ 09-10-2020 07:46 AM

996 1999 - Door window not lowering ENOUGH

Hi guys. First I have read a lot on people which have a NO DROP (which isn't my case) but I didn't find a lot of threads on people which the window doesn't drop enough.

Problem with the window, passenger side.

What is working:
(Door closed) - Lowering and raising the window completely.
(Door open) - Raising the window, the window stop at the good place to close the door and then the window raise. Each time

Not working:
(Door closed) - Window drop about 1/8".

I can hear the motor activating the drop but for a very short time. My door panel is also removed. I have about 1/4" dropped between the stoppers.

When I lower the window and then I raise it, the window stop at the good position as mentioned in the What is working, and between the stoppers I have a good 2" maybe I didn't measured it but that's a lot compared to when I want to open the door.

I tried to reset the window position holding the window button, I also tried to stretch the cable..

Why the window it stopping properly when raising it, but when I want to open the door, the drop is not correct..

DBJoe996 09-10-2020 08:14 AM

Simply put....you need to replace the window regulator. Get a new OE regulator and then read up on how to replace.

Optionman1 09-10-2020 08:58 AM

Might as well replace both door regulators, just my suggestion. I found from experience that once the doors start getting used more, especially with a new owner, it’s inevitable that they will go. Good luck

FRZ 09-10-2020 06:28 PM

Well thank you guys. I have read a lot on the subject but none of what I read was reflecting my exact situation. Because the window was raising correctly I thought maybe there was a tricks I didn't found on the web. Well I'll get a new regulator after the winter and I will update this thread.

Thanks!

sequel95 09-10-2020 09:59 PM

Sometimes mechanics will install the window regulator, which is designed initially for the Boxster, and if used on a 996, a retaining clip needs to be removed. The clip (top one) is screwed in and should be removed for a 996. Not sure if this is your issue, but I resolved this issue on my new 996.

GarrettSR5 09-11-2020 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Optionman1 (Post 16896734)
Might as well replace both door regulators, just my suggestion. I found from experience that once the doors start getting used more, especially with a new owner, it’s inevitable that they will go. Good luck

Ehh I disagree. My car has 139k and was a daily commuter for a single person. The passenger side hardly saw the same use as the driver's side.

OP, I had this same issue a week ago with the same symptoms. The window all made a horrible crunchy noise when lifting and lowering and sometimes wouldn't lower itself when I opened the door handle or wouldn't go back high enough.
Before it failed completely I bought a Dorman regulator (Not OE obviously) and it has a life time warranty. Quality of the part was good
Once I removed my broken on, most of it fell apart in my hands. It was literally on it's last legs.

There's a couple good YT videos on replacement, it's not very difficult just take your time and make sure you mark the window position in the regulator clips
Just make sure you order new door panel clips, 999-507-505-40.
I ordered them through my local dealer and 8 of them cost under 10 bucks.

nychase 09-12-2020 01:17 AM

Just for clarity....which window went bad, the driver's or passengers side in your case? Aka....high use or low use?
​​​​​​
Also, part number/link for the regulator?

FRZ 09-13-2020 10:45 AM

Sequel95: I know what your talking about but there's no clip on this regulator. Thanks for you reply.

I wrote to my friend and he told me he replaced the whole regulator for a cheap brand.. for an unknown reason!

So from what I have read and what he said to me, everything seems to point to the regulator. I will just buy a brand new regulator this winter while the car sleeps and I will replace it. It should fix the problem!

I will update this thread for sure once done. Thank you all.

curtis_clt 09-13-2020 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by FRZ (Post 16902585)
Sequel95: I know what your talking about but there's no clip on this regulator. Thanks for you reply.

I wrote to my friend and he told me he replaced the whole regulator for a cheap brand.. for an unknown reason!

So from what I have read and what he said to me, everything seems to point to the regulator. I will just buy a brand new regulator this winter while the car sleeps and I will replace it. It should fix the problem!

I will update this thread for sure once done. Thank you all.

I'm having the same issue on my passenger side...sometimes it works, sometimes not. Curious, do you have any issues with the door safety light not turning on if you open the door? If I open the passenger door, it doesn't turn on...but if the drivers door is open at the same time, then the passenger light will come on. Doesn't seem like a regulator issue with the light, just wondering if yours has any other quirky behavior like that.

DBJoe996 09-13-2020 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by curtis_clt (Post 16902893)
I'm having the same issue on my passenger side...sometimes it works, sometimes not. Curious, do you have any issues with the door safety light not turning on if you open the door? If I open the passenger door, it doesn't turn on...but if the drivers door is open at the same time, then the passenger light will come on. Doesn't seem like a regulator issue with the light, just wondering if yours has any other quirky behavior like that.

More than likely it is the door handle microswitch, which is replaceable separately from the door handle.

sfapsey 02-05-2022 09:29 PM

Thank you GM996 for the link to the video. I just replaced the regulator and the video was immensely helpful. The door closes properly. Not to bad a job.