996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adding wires to the clockspring

Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Adding wires to the clockspring

Not sure if this will help anyone here, but thought I'd post it anyways, I did this today for a different car, (and posted this on The Mustang Source), using a left over clockspring I had for a 996, so related, I guess.

I needed 3 more wires to go to my steering wheel, but the problem was all the pins in the connector were used for other things, so I needed to add more wires somehow.

The clockspring is a pretty simple device - its just a strip of wire ribbon. So I decided to add in another wire ribbon. That is the easy part, but then I would need to somehow have the wires enter and exit the clockspring, and I can't use the existing plugs, so I would have to add my own for this, and involves drilling an exit holes, but no problem, really.

I bought an extra used clockspring, in case I messed it up.

Then I would need two 4 pin connectors, soldering iron, solder and flux.

So first, dissasembling the clockspring. Pretty easy. Just held together with tabs.

Then I had a wire ribbon with 4 wires in it, so I cut it to around the same length as the old one, but longer. Can trim later.

On one end, I drilled holes into each exposed copper strip for the wire (this wire will go to the new connector that needs to be added) to go through. Then I sanded off the plastic sheath to expose the bare copper. Need metal exposed for thee solder.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Solder the 3 wires (could have done 4, but I needed only 3). The wire goes through the hole I drilled and then soldered on the back. Trim off the excess ribbon.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:01 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Now fold the ribbon to follow the old ribbon, and route the wires out of the clockspring. For the steering column side, I had to drill a hole to allow the wires to exit, as there was no other place for them to go. Then covered the hole all up with hot glue.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:03 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Now for the steering wheel side. Coil the ribbon up with the old one, and leave a little bit extra. Drill your holes and sand off the plastic sheath like before. Then solder them. Fold the ribbon to follow the old one. For the steering wheel exit, I had my wires follow the path of the airbag wires, so no extra hole here.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:05 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Put it back together. And that's it. I now have 3 extra wires I can use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding wires to the clockspring