Sponsored by:

The sweet smell of coolant thru the vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default The sweet smell of coolant thru the vents

Have not posted in a while....this 996 has been great to me. Yesterday the fog coming from the vents and smell was evident.....the heater core is leaking coolant....already ordered a new heater core...coolant flush and refill is part of the project.....winter is coming
Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know how the repair goes
Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Will do....based on the write-ups here and Renntech...it should be a relatively easy thing to do....I will start draining and removing the front covers this weekend....by the time the heater core gets home...should be ready to drop in, button-up and refill...
Old 10-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

This is why I don't use my heater.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by pesuazo
Will do....based on the write-ups here and Renntech...it should be a relatively easy thing to do....I will start draining and removing the front covers this weekend....by the time the heater core gets home...should be ready to drop in, button-up and refill...
I don't even drain the coolant when doing a heater core unless changing out the coolant for new stuff.

The heater core hoses are pretty much at the highest point of the cooling system, I just clamp off the two hoses and change the heater core,fill the heater core almost full and install. very little air will enter the system.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I don't even drain the coolant when doing a heater core unless changing out the coolant for new stuff.

The heater core hoses are pretty much at the highest point of the cooling system, I just clamp off the two hoses and change the heater core,fill the heater core almost full and install. very little air will enter the system.
It has been 5 years since it was last done....me thinks is a good time to flush/refill.....at least I do not have to "drain" the heater core....
Old 10-10-2019, 04:49 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Originally Posted by rhkwon
Let us know how the repair goes
So far so good...believe it or not...my biggest struggle so far was unplugging the little electrical connectors for the washer nozzles

It seems from this point on is straight forward (just like the previous steps)....remove a few bolts...push stuff aside.....unplug hoses...remove foam cover...pull out old heater core..drop in new heater core...reverse process...

The heater core does not get here until sometime next week.....I will drain using this process: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pump-tips.html

Once drained, will remove belt and check for play/noise in water pump....if bad...will replace too....

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-18-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:14 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Water pump is bad...noisy bearing and a little clunking when pushed side to side...ordering a new one with a new thermostat.....
Old 10-13-2019, 07:37 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Just a few pics of the work:

First look after removing the cover..be careful peeling it back

Looking into the pit....lots foam and a little pool of coolant

Vacuumed and "cleaned" the best I could

Leaking heater core

Old 10-13-2019, 07:42 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Will definitely help me when I tackle this project in the future.

Are our heater cores smaller than other cars? I’ve never had really great heat from my heater. And looking from the size of the core I can now see why.
The following users liked this post:
pesuazo (10-18-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Is your heater core "door" missing the foam? Looks like I can see a portion of the "door" and the exposed holes in it ?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:30 PM
pesuazo
Pro

I am seriously considering removing the blend door and fixing it while I am there....
Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Is your heater core "door" missing the foam? Looks like I can see a portion of the "door" and the exposed holes in it ?
Yes it is....I may "try" to squeeze my hand in there with some aluminum tape to cover as much as possible...

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Water pump arrived today......now need to find the time to install...had very good experience with Gates products before
UPDATE: Pump was out of spec....during a "dry run" installation, the impeller was making contact with the block...with screws finger tight I attempted to rotate the pulley...a lot of resistance compared to when the pump was outside the car...I could even feel the plastic impeller grinding/rubbing against the block...this pump was returned for a refund...a new pump (Pierburg) was ordered from Pelican Parts

Composite impeller...

Hard/thick "cardboard/fiber" gasket....need to snip off a bit from the internal gasket tabs...looks like it may interfere with the impeller...

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Got busy today with the good ol' dremmel.....

Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 PM
pesuazo
Pro

More updates....I am finished with the vent door....all that is left is to wipe down the bottom....waiting for heater core to wrap up the front....in the meantime. I may install the water pump (Update: Gates water pump was out of spec..DO NOT USE..impellers touching back wall of cavity...returned WP and purchased a Pierburg from Pelican)

This was not the final product...but you get the idea

Grease that sucker well....silicone or lithium (what I used) grease

Door installed

Top "plugged"....I exercised the door back and forth by changing the temperature settings....beautiful....
Tips:
- When starting to dremmel the top...make a 1/4 inch hole with drill bit (or a bit bigger, may be 3/8...and just go in about 1/4 inch)...just enough to get the dremmel grinder into that hole and work your way out
- when close to the edges...use long needle nose pliers to "peel" the remainder of the plastic "outwards"...this way the bushing may slide out without being damaged
- make a note of which way the blade comes out.....take pictures
- remove the 7mm screw from the bottom bushing (search the internet...plenty of pictures of that area)...
- work from inside the frunk....no need to be reaching out over the fenders
- when it is time to put the vent blade back in..start by snapping in the top bushing...then go inside the car and make the A/C go low temperature....that will allow you to see the bottom bushing hole, and will help you align the blade with the bushing...2 people at this point is of great help...one holds the blade while the other pushes the bushing "up" from the bottom....
- before closing up....move the temp up and down in the a/c control unit and watch that beautiful updated door open and close the way it is supposed to.....with a new skin on it...lol

Last edited by pesuazo; 10-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pesuazo:
Porschetech3 (10-16-2019), R324U (10-16-2019)

Quick Reply: The sweet smell of coolant thru the vents