996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bore Scoring

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:21 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

I've seen the bores give up in STI's used for rally.. Remember the stock STI has a relatively conservative redline,
compared to a rally car,, so the 8K+ engine runs could be a factor.

Another interesting question though,, AFTER a bore scoring event how many folks send their injectors off for testing?

Fueling is the source of bore issues in most other engines I've experienced it in.. Rotax engines are very similar in power band
and use to the 996 vintage engines,, and they do stick pistons even in their 4 strokes when run hard,, Aprilia,, Yamaha,, go cart
motors all so it..
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I've seen the bores give up in STI's used for rally.. Remember the stock STI has a relatively conservative redline,

Another interesting question though,, AFTER a bore scoring event how many folks send their injectors off for testing?

Fueling is the source of bore issues in most other engines I've experienced it in.. Rotax engines are very similar in power band
and use to the 996 vintage engines,, and they do stick pistons even in their 4 strokes when run hard,, Aprilia,, Yamaha,, go cart
motors all so it..
Leaky injectors have been identified as a factor in scoring for the 996.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead

motors all so it..
Yes, fuel enrichment is certainly the leading contributor to these issues.

Quick Reply: Bore Scoring