Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Selling my pristine 996 Cab in MA (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1151762-selling-my-pristine-996-cab-in-ma.html)

Idoktr 07-11-2019 08:16 AM

Sold-Delete

sold the car

NuttyProfessor 07-11-2019 10:23 AM

Remove the headlight masks. I wouldn't worry over the techart front lip spoiler and side skirts, but masking the original headlight design will scare off many buyers. Believe it or not. Keep it as stock looking as possible. Do you have the original Becker Porsche radio and original factory wheels? If so, include them in the sale. On your listing, note (with documentation) the IMS and clutch service as well as any service history and factory options (hood tag). Don't photograph a black car in a broad daylight. Wait until it's overcast. Shows the beauty much better. Direct sunlight shows all the little imperfections and sometimes plays tricks on the camera. Take it to a very cool spot in your area and take lots of photographs. Buyers want to imagine themselves in your car. Lousy pictures do not help.

Good luck!

Idoktr 07-11-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15966087)
Remove the headlight masks. I wouldn't worry over the techart front lip spoiler and side skirts, but masking the original headlight design will scare off many buyers. Believe it or not. Keep it as stock looking as possible. Do you have the original Becker Porsche radio and original factory wheels? If so, include them in the sale. On your listing, note (with documentation) the IMS and clutch service as well as any service history and factory options (hood tag). Don't photograph a black car in a broad daylight. Wait until it's overcast. Shows the beauty much better. Direct sunlight shows all the little imperfections and sometimes plays tricks on the camera. Take it to a very cool spot in your area and take lots of photographs. Buyers want to imagine themselves in your car. Lousy pictures do not help.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I am afraid to remove the headlight masks because I do not know how they were applied. My luck, Gorilla Glue........

dporto 07-11-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Idoktr (Post 15966105)
Thanks for the advice. I am afraid to remove the headlight masks because I do not know how they were applied. My luck, Gorilla Glue........

^^ I was going to suggest the same! Also, what was the IMSB replaced/serviced with? Clutch is nice, but not an "upgrade" - simply a service item (like brakes/tires/oil etc - nice to have it done, but won't get you a premium). A listing of factory options would be nice. Milage? $21,500 is a premium price point. While most of what you've done to it is really nice (and I'm sure cost you a bundle) those types of mods generally won't translate to a higher selling price (unless you find someone who wants exactly what you wanted and is willing to pay a premium for it...). GLWS! :cheers:

Idoktr 07-11-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dporto (Post 15966191)
^^ I was going to suggest the same! Also, what was the IMSB replaced/serviced with? Clutch is nice, but not an "upgrade" - simply a service item (like brakes/tires/oil etc - nice to have it done, but won't get you a premium). A listing of factory options would be nice. Milage? $21,500 is a premium price point. While most of what you've done to it is really nice (and I'm sure cost you a bundle) those types of mods generally won't translate to a higher selling price (unless you find someone who wants exactly what you wanted and is willing to pay a premium for it...). GLWS! :cheers:

What would you say is a fair price?

dporto 07-11-2019 12:36 PM

Eh... I'd have no idea without seeing/hearing and driving the car. As I said earlier it looks well sorted and taken care of, but looks can be deceiving. Mileage will be a factor for sure (even though it's fairly meaningless - if you've got good service records). They usually sell between $15 -$20k.

Paul Waterloo 07-11-2019 01:06 PM

I had the same headlight covers on my car......I parked it outside on a warm day in the sun next to my garage and used a high quality plastic trim removal tool and was able to pull them off, they used double sided tape. Then I had to clean all the residue off. Took about 1.5 hours total, what a difference!

Radman73 07-11-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dporto (Post 15966191)

Kind of to back this up, as someone who's starting to look for a 996, a new clutch helps sell the car, but doesn't necessarily add much to what I'd be willing to pay. Kind of like investing in curb appeal on a house. It's to pull people in and make the house easier to sell, not necessarily sell it for more. All things being equal, a new clutch would likely make me lean towards that car, but I'm not looking only for cars with new clutches. Hope that makes sense.

To the OP. Nice car and GWLS.

808Bill 07-11-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dporto (Post 15966426)
Eh... I'd have no idea without seeing/hearing and driving the car. As I said earlier it looks well sorted and taken care of, but looks can be deceiving. Mileage will be a factor for sure (even though it's fairly meaningless - if you've got good service records). They usually sell between $15 -$20k.

Mileage is pictured above at 54K

NuttyProfessor 07-11-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo (Post 15966495)
I had the same headlight covers on my car......I parked it outside on a warm day in the sun next to my garage and used a high quality plastic trim removal tool and was able to pull them off, they used double sided tape. Then I had to clean all the residue off. Took about 1.5 hours total, what a difference!

Stick with the factory look. So much better. For the life of me, I will never understand why people cave into the purists on this issue. The design was courageous and radical just like moving the engine to a water cooled design. I have much respect and love for the old aircooled cars, but like the headlight design, I'm not going to try to make my 996 sound like the old aircooled engines. Get me drift? Enjoy that car Paul. You have a beauty!

dporto 07-11-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 808Bill (Post 15966719)
Mileage is pictured above at 54K

Well then, that would be a "low mileage" example at 20 years old - if it's the original engine! Unfortunately, as we all know low mileage isn't always a good thing for these cars (averaged at 2700mi/yr - it could be argued that some years got much less and some years got much more...Did the car ever sit for over a year without being driven?). In fact, it brings the question of how many times the oil was changed early on it's life when the manufacturers recommendation was 15k miles between changes :eek: These are just a few of the questions that will lead to an accurate selling price/buying price. :cheers:

Paul Waterloo 07-11-2019 04:53 PM

I personally think some of the modifications will detract from the sale price. However, I think getting $18K for a quick sale is probably doable. Maybe you could get as much as $20K but I don't think it would sell very quickly.

Idoktr 07-11-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo (Post 15967012)
I personally think some of the modifications will detract from the sale price. However, I think getting $18K for a quick sale is probably doable. Maybe you could get as much as $20K but I don't think it would sell very quickly.

Would like to take the headlight covers off, but they have been on for years and my luck, something major would happen. Although I agree on the OEM look, I will leave that project for the new owner. Also the 54k miles is on the the original engine and I have service records back many years with regular oil changes even with little driving per year.

Thanks for all the advice.

S

wyovino 07-12-2019 03:09 AM

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that price is fair for this car. If I didn't already have a cab I would be interested. I hope you find the right buyer.

Cuda911 07-12-2019 04:11 AM

^^^^ I agree. A very fair price. I actually thought a bit low. Hard top even included. A very nice deal.

Put some proper Porsche wheel inserts on though. I have a perfect set, if you are interested. Or even the $ 15 Chinese ebay knockoff would be better than those.

The seat recovering.... lots of wrinkles and folds.
You said it is new. Take it back to them and have them fix it. I had my seats redone, and it looked factory proper.

Leave the masks on. I would never install them, but these appear to have been well done. Point them out to the buyer, tell him he can keep them for now, and remove later and sell them, if he prefers.