Sponsored by:

yes, the Mk2 has a glove box and mine rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default yes, the Mk2 has a glove box and mine rattles

I did some searching here about this issue and only found threads where people were surprised any 996s had glove boxes or ones where the handle fell off.

Mine rattles when I go over even minor imperfections in the pavement. Has anyone figured out a fix for this? If I use pressure to hold the door it seems to stop, so I'm wondering if I replaced the little rubber cushions if it would fix it.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you taken it out to inspect? It's really easy to take out.

Might be something simple.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

hmmm... didn't think about that. I'll give it a go this weekend.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I have definite rattle in mine, but nothing from the glove box, thankfully.
My double-din radio rattles like a beast sometimes, even with a folded-over business card shoved into the crevices to hold it in place...
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I have a mk1 so direct experience but evey glove box i have seen has an adjustale strike\latch. Usually u just have to loosen a couple screws and move it back slightly. Since it stops when u push on it im guessing making the latch tighter may fix the issue.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

There are quite a few places it could rattle - taking it apart and tightening up the screws will help.

Its only held in with 4 screws - 2 are accessible quite easily the other two require the dampers to be pulled forward to unclip then the door can expose access to the two rear screws.

Don't forget to release the light harness before trying to remove the entire unit.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Update time. Sorry for the delay but I ended up flushing the brake fluid first and then it was so freaking hot around here I didn't feel like working in a 90 degree garage.

Got back at it today and took the glove box out. Took a drive up the road and the rattle is still there. I'm attaching a video with the sound, but iPhone mics suck so the audio doesn't sound exactly the same, but here it is:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/EcEvlHiHq5TB/

A friend is going to come over some time this week with a mechanic's stethoscope and ride with me, so hopefully we can track it down.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM
dan_189
Race Car

The rattles will only get worse as time goes on, i've also found things rattle when its cold and then when things warm up they go away.

The CD console/cubby can rattle - just take off the covers and do up the screws.

Best of luck!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:31 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

I think I got the issue fixed.

By the way Dan, I disagree with you. If you are curious and patient, you can fix a lot of these issues. As a matter of fact, there's a 9 page Porsche Technical Instruction on how to resolve strange noises in the dash area of the 996. I guess when people paid $100K for cars, they complained about rattles, so Porsche figured out how to fix them over time and wrote a document about it.

I'm doing a Peachstate PCA tour this weekend so I'll update this thread after I verify if I fixed the issue.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
I think I got the issue fixed.

By the way Dan, I disagree with you. If you are curious and patient, you can fix a lot of these issues. As a matter of fact, there's a 9 page Porsche Technical Instruction on how to resolve strange noises in the dash area of the 996. I guess when people paid $100K for cars, they complained about rattles, so Porsche figured out how to fix them over time and wrote a document about it.

I'm doing a Peachstate PCA tour this weekend so I'll update this thread after I verify if I fixed the issue.
Yes of course you can fix the rattles, but my point is that as time goes on plastics and other materials will start to rattle and make noise some of it will be unfixable. I have a rattle in the rear that only happens on hot days... weird odd things haha.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

My trade is software developer and one of the things I'm really good at (many people over the years have remarked about this) is finding and fixing very obscure and intermittent bugs.

I guess I view fixing these rattles as a FUN challenge.

However, I do agree with you Dan that material composition, age, and location of the rattles can make them prohibitively difficult or expensive to resolve.

Apparently I also land on the side of being easily annoyed by repetitive noises, so there's that too. Case in point: my wife said that the rattle didn't bother her and she probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't said something.

However she does complain that the 996 is "very loud" (I have stock C2 exhaust). Go figure?

Quick Reply: yes, the Mk2 has a glove box and mine rattles