Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 03:37 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sprint Booster

All - do any of you have any experience with this product
? The basic premise is that it increases the throttle response thus giving a more "seat of the pant's driving experience. It appears to be reasonably priced and a seemingly easy install. I've read that buying a bunch of bolt-ons on for a base model 996 isn't the most cost effective to achieve a more spirited driving experience. Your thoughts?

911STYL
Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

i seem to remember a previous post that said such products can't do anything that just pushing down harder on the throttle with your foot can't do, or something to that effect. i have no personal experience with these so that's the extent of my knowledge on this subject. i'm sure others will opine.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It works well with my custom Porsche only blinker fluid, axle-Framus rod, and the ever popular muffler bearings. Special pricing if you get all three.

"I'll take 'words in famous quotes' for $800 Alex"; "There's a ________ born every minute."
Old 07-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Southernman
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a similar premise to the "Sport Mode" button on BMW's with drive-by-wire. It changes the gas pedal's acceleration curve from linear to more of a steep S-curve. They can be fun. I wouldn't knock it.

Not for 1999 models though as those have actual throttle cables.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

'99 C4 is throttle by wire/E-Gas... As others have said, these mods won't get you anymore power but the remap of the throttle curve will make it feel more responsive. Worth $300 ? The value is in the eye of the beholder...
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 911STYL
All - do any of you have any experience with this product Sprint Booster ? The basic premise is that it increases the throttle response thus giving a more "seat of the pant's driving experience. It appears to be reasonably priced and a seemingly easy install. I've read that buying a bunch of bolt-ons on for a base model 996 isn't the most cost effective to achieve a more spirited driving experience. Your thoughts?

911STYL
I have it on my 02 Tip and like it. It is not a replacement for other bolt-ons whatsoever. It does give quicker throttle response up to about 50% throttle angle. As others have mentioned, I have another car with a Sport mode that has a similar thing built in. I knew what I was getting and I think the cost is appropriate to the benefit.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I have one on my Cayenne Turbo. It was great for that application. It's a bit more than just remapping the throttle curve. The throttle valve actuates quicker. Smooth valve actuation is better for emissions and fuel economy to the detriment of throttle response. Sprint Booster gets rid of that too. Doesn't make the car faster but it feels "snappier".
Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...s-it-worth-it/

i suggest you read this. Very straightforward analysis. This is the info I referenced in my prior post, just thought it was a forum post which it wasn’t.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...s-it-worth-it/

i suggest you read this. Very straightforward analysis. This is the info I referenced in my prior post, just thought it was a forum post which it wasn’t.

OptionMan - very interesting read. However, it confused me even more. The responses to the article were tough. I liked the part about "There’s simply far too many uncontrolled variables to make a valid experiment and the effect of confirmation bias and placebo is too strong." I teach about that kinda stuff and understand the power of bias and placebo effects. Major turn-off was this line "People that make such stupid claims shouldn’t be allowed to post on internet forums." The lack of civility really makes it hard to align with the original article. Maybe I need to put on my big boy pants but I thought my time in Kosovo, Bosnia, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq and other places I can't talk about toughened me up a little. I appreciated the honesty of the article by "Joe" saying he has never used it but needless to say that challenged me as well.

I don't want to drive 1000 mph our city streets, I don't intend on ever tracking, all I'm looking for is a spirited driving from time to time. Admittedly, I cannot completely dismiss this article because very good points were made so thank you for your efforts.

911STYL
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by 911STYL
OptionMan - very interesting read. However, it confused me even more. The responses to the article were tough. I liked the part about "There’s simply far too many uncontrolled variables to make a valid experiment and the effect of confirmation bias and placebo is too strong." I teach about that kinda stuff and understand the power of bias and placebo effects. Major turn-off was this line "People that make such stupid claims shouldn’t be allowed to post on internet forums." The lack of civility really makes it hard to align with the original article. Maybe I need to put on my big boy pants but I thought my time in Kosovo, Bosnia, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq and other places I can't talk about toughened me up a little. I appreciated the honesty of the article by "Joe" saying he has never used it but needless to say that challenged me as well.

I don't want to drive 1000 mph our city streets, I don't intend on ever tracking, all I'm looking for is a spirited driving from time to time. Admittedly, I cannot completely dismiss this article because very good points were made so thank you for your efforts.

911STYL
So, if it's just spirited driving from time to time that you're looking for, save your $300 and learn to work your gas pedal a little harder/deeper... That's my take away and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

he did mention at the top that he finally did get the product and test it, and that after doing that he stands by his prior analysis. from my reading it basically tricks your car into thinking you are pressing down harder/further on the throttle then you really are, but once you press half way your car thinks your at full throttle so the last 50% is doing nothing. i really like the linear feel i get from the stock throttle. not sure what it would feel like to have the pedal to the floor, let up slightly, and get no response since the gadget still will be telling the car that u want full throttle. just my $.02.

PS i agree he didnt need to make condescending comments about people's intelligence regarding online posts. civility is lost in the modern age.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster