Sponsored by:

1st UOA...Hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts
Default 1st UOA...Hmmmm

I have the results of the 1st UOA, I’m a bit concerned about the “yellow” results that came back. First, a brief background.
This is basically a new engine, new factory short block, rebuilt heads by the best in the country, new AOS, new oil cooler, new fuel injectors, LN spin-on oil filter and mag drain plug. 4500 miles total on engine, 500 with BR30 break-in oil, and a bit over 4000 miles in 11 months with DT40. This UOA is of the DT40.
The Viscosity and oxidation are clear, I should have changed the oil sooner, apparently 11 months is too long with this stuff even though 4000 miles is OK, IMO.
My real concerns are the silicon and copper numbers, I’m hoping these high wear numbers are part of a new engine break-in and will decrease over time. Future UOAs will tell if I’m right.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

6 mos or 3K (which ever comes first) is what Jake told me.
The next two reports I would think is what's important, no?

New motor tighter tolerances = more early wear?.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The new engine will kill the oil fast.. This is why we have short service intervals for our first 7,500 miles of engine operation, and I do not use any synthetic oil until beyond 7,500 miles.

11 months is about 8 months too long for a new engine. Time in service trumps mileage-
Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

One UOA means very little. The trend is your friend, Coopduc. Do two more over the next 12 months. And update this thread. Don't use a different oil. Wow, those phos and zinc values are stout.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:49 PM
YYCporsche
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The new engine will kill the oil fast.. This is why we have short service intervals for our first 7,500 miles of engine operation, and I do not use any synthetic oil until beyond 7,500 miles.

11 months is about 8 months too long for a new engine. Time in service trumps mileage-
Great Info, totally agree.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Factory engine

Originally Posted by Coopduc
I have the results of the 1st UOA, I’m a bit concerned about the “yellow” results that came back. First, a brief background.
This is basically a new engine, new factory short block, rebuilt heads by the best in the country, new AOS, new oil cooler, new fuel injectors, LN spin-on oil filter and mag drain plug. 4500 miles total on engine, 500 with BR30 break-in oil, and a bit over 4000 miles in 11 months with DT40. This UOA is of the DT40.
The Viscosity and oxidation are clear, I should have changed the oil sooner, apparently 11 months is too long with this stuff even though 4000 miles is OK, IMO.
My real concerns are the silicon and copper numbers, I’m hoping these high wear numbers are part of a new engine break-in and will decrease over time. Future UOAs will tell if I’m right.
OK Coopduc, wait no longer, yank that engine ( I'll help) sell it to me quick, and get yourself that LS3 conversion that you know you want... -

That would certainly speed up my project!

All kidding aside, fingers crossed for you and hopefully just part of the break in.

Carlvs
Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Default UOA on a new car

Coopduc, it would be interesting to see if anyone has done a used oil analysis on a brand new Porsche. And then compare those specs with yours.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by carlvs
Coopduc, it would be interesting to see if anyone has done a used oil analysis on a brand new Porsche. And then compare those specs with yours.
Many times, and the results are always all over the place. I’ve pulled samples from brand new engines, only test ran at the factory.

At the end of the day, UOA only has benefits when multiple samples are collected of the same oil, tested by the same lab, over a period of time. One solitary sample, doesn’t mean anything, especially from a wear metals perspective.

We pull initial samples from all our engines after 52 miles, then again after 104 miles, and a dyno session. The only thing I look for with these samples is fuel intrusion, glycol, and potassium elevations. This is because I am only concerned with over- fueling, and coolant intrusion before a vehicle ships. All the other data will be all over the place, especially when using our internal coatings, various assembly lubes, and sealants.

There’s more to reading an oil sample than the commentary given by the lab. Earlier this year Lake Speed and I had a sold out online class that was dedicated only to reading, and comprehending UOA data from an analyst perspective. that was 4 hours just to teach people how to read their own sample, and just throw away the typically laughable commentary from the lab.

People who are constantly changing oils, labs, and etc will never learn anything from UOA, other than how to worry themselves to death, by inconsistencies that their “research” and “desire to learn”.

For UOA to be beneficial, use the same engine, the same oil, the same lab, the same service intervals (until oxidation values prove you can alter them) and be consistent with everything that is done. These things create baseline trend data, then when a change is noted, you can truly trust that a real mechanical change has existed. Remember a UOA that suddenly shows BETTER wear metals, while showing a loss of viscosity, or a loss of the anti- wear package simultaneously may mean that the engine is failing. Those wear metals are NOT better, you just have wear that is now generating debris too large to be detected.

Quick Reply: 1st UOA...Hmmmm