996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done an LS3 swap on here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:02 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Im sure it will take some digging and figuring out. Im not worried about the ac. I think the only thing u have to tie in is the wire to kick on the fans and the ls computer can do that. The rest of it doesnt use the porsche pcm, from what i have read. Guages will be a little challenging. I have piggybacked jeep ecu's with products from Dakota Digital. Im sure if i leave the porche ecu in the car and feed it the correct signal from the ls motor then the factory guages will work. The mk1 dash is easier to work with.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:26 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

On the topic of the emissions... In my state (OR) they finally did it,, drew a line..
1996 (OBD1 and newer) the engine must be the same year or newer and be an
engine that came in the chassis from the same manufacturer.

So you could bump v6 to v8 but it would have to be same builder.

Oh and more fun,, they don't accept out of state referee/waiver etc when licensing here..

Thank goodness my jeep is a obd1 1994,, its gonna like the 5.3....
Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 AM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdee62
I'm probably not doing a swap, but I was in Vegas in April and stopped in to see Renegade. They seem first rate. They spent a full hour showing me around and talking Porsche. I'm curious, why would you stay away from them?
Their "kit" is nothing more than 3rd party parts that they assembled and labeled as their own. Kennedy Engineering makes their adapter plate which is the bulk of the swap. They do make their own engine plate, which works, but is designed poorly (in my opinion). Even the bolts they send to secure the engine plate are cheap and rust within 2 months. They recommend the use of a electric water pump which is barely adequate for a low horsepower street application, not at all adequate for anything else. The water port adapter they sell is bulky, ugly and feels like an afterthought. Their intake elbow is restrictive and hideous. They provide little to no instruction on their own products. When I called to chat with them about accessories, they were clueless (which really struck me as odd). Specifically, I called to ask if I can use corvette accessories (they are the closest spaced accessories from the engine block). The response I got was "absolutely" -which wasn't even remotely true. Their power steering "kit" is just a re-purposed prius unit with a custom bracket (pretty but super expensive and unnecessary). They dont even send you the lines without you sending yours to them first, and its 1300 (which is insane, you can get an MR2 pump and custom lines for under $400). no wiring harness, no coolant line adapters, no gauge integration...just basic hardware to get you stared. All this for a cool 4K+$$

All this aside, I've seen more than a handful Renegade built cars that people bought for 30K plus only to realize they purchased a rolling project. From wiring issues, to cooling issues all the way to mechanical nightmares. Again, nothing about this swap is rocket science (regardless of which direction you go), which is why I found their lack of understanding simple things all the more confusing. My recommendation for anyone looking to do the swap, bypass Renegade all together and purchase the items you need directly from the people that make them. Save yourself money and frustration.

I'll leave it with a final note: When I asked renegade about accessories and was told corvette would work, I was then offered these accessories for $1300 which they claimed were at cost. A quick trip to Rock Auto quickly showed these same accessories at about $450 (crank pulley, alternator and water pump). Due to the design of their engine mount (which pushes everything out preventing the use of closely spaced corvette accessories), non of these would work. You would think that a shop that specializes in these engine swaps would know what parts work with their own kit.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
On the topic of the emissions... In my state (OR) they finally did it,, drew a line..

Oh and more fun,, they don't accept out of state referee/waiver etc when licensing here..

You would think that the STATE, would have more important decisions to make laws about than a few hundred (?) engine swaps...what a waste of time and money...
Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Luckily delawarenis pretty good about motor swaps. As long as it passes all the emisions standards for the year of the car and original motor u r good. Basically u can put an old motor in a new car if its clean. U dont even need the engin computer vin to match the car.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
U dont even need the engin computer vin to match the car.
I think this is the problem where I live in NC...I don’t know any way around it, but will double check if it is really an issue.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

It is an issue in nc. I have a good friend with an ls-1 in a miata. There r guys that will burn your vin into the ecm when they do a tune as a work around. Some inspection guys still have a problem with that so this last time he just went to a non emissions county and got it inspected.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:53 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dak911
You would think that the STATE, would have more important decisions to make laws about than a few hundred (?) engine swaps...what a waste of time and money...
Yes you would.. I do to.. idiots..
Old 06-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kondata17
Its been done many times, quite easily actually. custom lines and minor tweaks, thats it.
That's good to know.
Having an OEM appearance and function is something important to me.

Anybody ever ran across a good how to make your Porshe piggyback a different engine ECU guide?

I suspect that a 996 is so CAN intensive for the gauges that your stuck if it has to look factory,

But one thing I read somewhere is the AC control on the 996 is actually fairly primitive.
Its not really integrated with the engine ECU stuff other than the wire to engage the compressor.
the dash module actually runs the thing for the most part, then there is the fan control module but that is
likely just a PWM for the fan speed driven by the dash unit,, the guy also said ther is a manual control that
we didn't see here in the us that just replaces the climate control in the dash...
Regarding the A/C controls...that's reassuring.

Mike
Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

That's disappointing and a bit surprising for OR.

A good friend of mine has a 1995 Mazda RX7 with an LS3 swap and it is legal in CA and fully CARB certified. He used a LS3 E-rod for his build.

Mike
Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
That's disappointing and a bit surprising for OR.
Personally, I not surprised about much of anything I hear coming out of Oregon these days...
Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 92 Posts

Also another LS 996 swap going on here. I have the 996, which is a 1999 model year and a Tiptronic. I sourced a '99 G96 with limited slip to swap in at the same time and bought all the factory components to swap to a manual. I'll run a custom line instead of using the P car hydraulic lines ($$$ and require removing entire interior). I bought my adapter from Eric at A&E Machining (http://www.kitcarchassis.com/) and includes a starter and SPEC clutch (stage 2) for around the same at Stuttgart Muscle. I had already placed my order with Eric, who is extremely nice and knowledgeable, before finding Stuttgart Muscle. I'd likely order it all from SM but no regrets so far besides a longer than usual lead time from Eric. Again, nice guy and typical got back to me same day if he didn't pickup. I called Renegade and their tech department wasn't there and the sales guy couldn't answer any questions pertaining to the swap, accessories, or if using a Tiptronic was advised (it's not).

I ended up buying a disassembled LS1 for a great price so I have built that up with a Tick Performance SNS cam, 243 heads, 92mm FAST intake, 92mm DBC TB, and some other odds and ends. I'm using the Holley Terminator X kit with LS3 injectors to get it going. Should be a great little combo, hopefully the cam isn't too much. I have just about everything I need to start, just need to finish my LS swapped Wrangler first which has been a never ending project. I might post a build thread here once I've started though.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
Personally, I not surprised about much of anything I hear coming out of Oregon these days...
Its the California influence, the wall needed to be between OR and Cali.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Also another LS 996 swap going on here. I have the 996, which is a 1999 model year and a Tiptronic. I sourced a '99 G96 with limited slip to swap in at the same time and bought all the factory components to swap to a manual. I'll run a custom line instead of using the P car hydraulic lines ($$$ and require removing entire interior). I bought my adapter from Eric at A&E Machining (http://www.kitcarchassis.com/) and includes a starter and SPEC clutch (stage 2) for around the same at Stuttgart Muscle. I had already placed my order with Eric, who is extremely nice and knowledgeable, before finding Stuttgart Muscle. I'd likely order it all from SM but no regrets so far besides a longer than usual lead time from Eric. Again, nice guy and typical got back to me same day if he didn't pickup. I called Renegade and their tech department wasn't there and the sales guy couldn't answer any questions pertaining to the swap, accessories, or if using a Tiptronic was advised (it's not).

I ended up buying a disassembled LS1 for a great price so I have built that up with a Tick Performance SNS cam, 243 heads, 92mm FAST intake, 92mm DBC TB, and some other odds and ends. I'm using the Holley Terminator X kit with LS3 injectors to get it going. Should be a great little combo, hopefully the cam isn't too much. I have just about everything I need to start, just need to finish my LS swapped Wrangler first which has been a never ending project. I might post a build thread here once I've started though.

I was gonna link your build thread on Pirate but i was lazy. Welcome to Rennlist. U seem to have a good handle on the performance ls stuff, i may bounce some stuff off u when i start building mine.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I was gonna link your build thread on Pirate but i was lazy. Welcome to Rennlist. U seem to have a good handle on the performance ls stuff, i may bounce some stuff off u when i start building mine.
HAHA! No worries, there isn’t much in that build thread anyway. Mostly talking exhaust which I’ll do in the thread here or LS1tech. 180 degree headers aren’t that bad to make with a good plan and we have CNC mandrel benders now. Hoping to have each piece CNC bent to my specs and I just weld it up. Should sound pretty good and I’ll be using some smaller mufflers to get the sound I want.

Feel free to hit me up with any LS questions! I have gained some knowledge but am no expert. It’s just me and my buddies building budget power plants. Hoping my little warmed up 5.3 in the Jeep makes 400 at the crank and this 5.7 LS1 will be 500 peak.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done an LS3 swap on here?