Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 2003 automatic - transmission oil change costs 1000 usd @deslership!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:07 PM
WrngCLD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche tax is real and seriously ridiculous. Getting into these cars, it's best to learn to do basic maintenance yourself or else you'll be spending the cost of the car just on labor. Buy some tools, pull up DIYs, and grab a beer. Save the extra $$$ for a rainy day.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 AM
cun65458
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WrngCLD
Porsche tax is real and seriously ridiculous. Getting into these cars, it's best to learn to do basic maintenance yourself or else you'll be spending the cost of the car just on labor. Buy some tools, pull up DIYs, and grab a beer. Save the extra $$$ for a rainy day.
I second that. When purchasing my 00’ Cab, the PO had everything done, and kept all receipts. Looking through these work orders, I was shocked at the costs of routine maintenance to the point where I wasn’t going to buy the car. However a friend who has several p-cars encouraged me to go forward with the purchase and he’d help me along. Now two years later I’ve steadily taken on repairs or elective upgrades myself and it’s become part of the hobby, and I enjoy it while saving some money. I don’t have the skill set or facilities to drop an engine or change out a clutch, etc, but I do all my fluids, replaced mufflers and motor mounts.etc. My next goals are coils and plugs.

I never worked on cars growing up, but this forum, YouTube and others will certainly help any novice find their way. Have fun!
The following users liked this post:
808Bill (07-20-2019)

Quick Reply: 996 2003 automatic - transmission oil change costs 1000 usd @deslership!