Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Never ever.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rbc123
I'm wondering if any of you have considered moving from your 996 to a Tesla.
Or better yet does anyone own both and willing to compare them. Model 3 to 996.
I do love my present 996 but my advancing age and crappy eye sight has forced me to diminish any aggressive driving.
Tesla has some amazing safety features and is still reputed to be fun to drive.
I have not driven a Tesla yet but planning to pursue it after we move back to Fl.
What say you?
I bought my wife the lowest cost 2014 S85 in the USA in February with 119k miles on the clock to replace her Benz diesel.
The general warranty has expired but it has 3 more years of battery and motor warranty unlimited miles, she does about 20k a year. Free supercharging for life and she can charge at her work for free also.
It's basic with the tech package and is in excellent shape.

She loves it and won't go back to a gas car now, however like others have said it's not the same as a 996, but having said that I've never driven a model 3 so give it a go.

I'm a big believer in my 996 not being a daily driver, it's an old car now and can have expensive problems so is for weekends and road trips.
For daily driving it's very hard to beat an EV like Tesla, in fact for me it's all over, I won't go back to daily driving a gas car, I have a Chevy volt.

I think it depends what you intend to use the car for, go test drive and compare.

Search YouTube for an interesting video of a model 3 vs BMW M2 which is surprising
The following users liked this post:
CarsFan (03-21-2023)
Old 06-09-2019, 04:30 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I thought we were talking about Tesla, not GM.

At least Tesla doesn't live off of (direct) government grants.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like people either love or loathe Tesla. I get a lot of vibes that for whatever reason people are rooting for them to fail but have no problem with the fact that because of their incompetence the tax payer had to bail out American automakers and then they just took the money and ran anyway. Obviously Tesla owners are going to be biased but in my experience with the owners and cars they haven't had too many issues. Fit and finish doesn't seem that bad and I've been through these things pretty thoroughly. The Model 3's have a 100k mile battery warranty which is pretty nice.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
They'll win straight line races all day long. That is not why I drive a Porsche. There are lots of vehicles that are faster in a straight line. None of them has the same balanced total package as the 911.
Exactly. My 99 is 20 years old and people just love it and ask how new it is all the time. It's iconic.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 PM
thebutterson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm more interested in finding a 996 with a blown engine and putting a model S drive unit in. EV West's newest version of their E36 is insane.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Am I really reading this? Comparing a Porsche 911 to a freakin' Tesla? OH, the HUMANITY!!! Have we not listened to our Tommy... there is NO substitute!

NEVER!!!!

Now, all you men go out to the garage and apologize to your 996 for the perverse thinking!
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (07-20-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Have a co-worker with one of the original tesla's equipped with all the options,
Our home office is near the factory and one of their biggest dealers.

His is as pumped up probably as any one ever made, (Sunk investment is probably > $120K),
he even has some uncommon factory upgrades because he kept burning up parts..
Tesla doesn't care they just keep replacing whatever breaks.

Its truly a experience to drive, or let it drive itself in launch mode.

But when I went to lay money down its a 911 not a tesla,,
The tesla is basically a 100,000 dollar honda accord. Your
buying a tech package with a car attached. If you look at the power train and chassis,
its all recycled tech from other cars.. Nothing new here.. Some custom trim and a iPad pro for a dash..

Wonderful transportation car. is it a sports car? Nope.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

E cars are the future, like it or not. Tesla will die though. VW just broke the e lap record at the ring. Mercedes and Porsche are going to race formula e next season. As a result of the emissions settlement VW is building 488 charging stations across the US. VAG has budgeted more money to e cars the next 10 years than Tesla will ever see. Porsche has already declared the next gen sports cars will be hybrids and the gen after that will be all electric. It’s coming, like it or not.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Completely different driving experiences. Acceleration can be mind blowing, the torque is incredible and the technology is just plain cool. That being said, I wouldn't trade any 911 for a Tesla. There is something unique about driving a 911 of any generation. I know a lot of people who would take a Tesla over a 911 in a heartbeat, given the opportunity. It'll be interesting to see how the Taycan fares, and if Porsche ever offers a hybrid 911. Some of the magazines are speculating that it is only a matter of time.

^^^ This!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I've considered getting a Tesla, or a Volt, or a Prius for my daily 52 mile commute.
But it would be a throw-away car.
My 996 is a forever car.
I'm currently enjoying every commute, even in stop and go traffic, in my 996.
Eventually my drive opens up and triple digit speeds are possible.
I just wish there were more twisty turns on my commute.
With summer just starting, and traffic easing up for the next 3 months, I'll forget all about electric cars for now.
Also, my current job does not seem too stable at the moment and I may be reducing my commute to 40 feet before too long. (One can only hope!)
If that happens I won't need a second car for commuting.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:52 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

They'll win straight line races all day long. That is not why I drive a Porsche. There are lots of vehicles that are faster in a straight line. None of them has the same balanced total package as the 911.
I've driven against a few on track (in my F10 BMW 550i) and was leaving them in the dust, the P100D or whatever versions too. They are heavy and from what I can tell don't drive great around a corner, but that's not their schtick, so makes sense. But this is like comparing an Accord Sport to a 996 and expecting a reasonable answer lol... Not even in the same league, nor sport to compare the two.

Add to the fact Tesla is closing shops nationwide and it's nigh impossible to get repair parts from what I read, they're more than a going concern at this point. They weren't and aren't the first electric car as some like to say, but to a small few I guess they made it 'hip', but the big co's are daily coming out with new and better hybrid and electric tech in cars that people will want to drive, so I don't see them as being viable long-term.
That being said, the 3's are hardly expensive, so not like you'd lose out in the long run that bad if you had to sell it, since they have such an issue with fulfilling orders...
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

My wife and I drove a Volt as our only car for 4+ years before i purchased my 03 c4s this past April. Volt in sports mode is very enjoyable both city and highway, but no EV will ever feel like or drive like a 911. different car for a different purpose.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

I own a Model X and as a daily driver the Tesla is great ...... But it does not compare to my 997 or my Cayenne S for pure driving spirit . If you are not a car enthusiast and you don't care about driving passion, spirit and soul and sound and smell .... Then buy one and you will love it. Mon - Thru Friday i drive my Tesla but when it's my time I drive my Porsche's.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by thebutterson
I'm more interested in finding a 996 with a blown engine and putting a model S drive unit in. EV West's newest version of their E36 is insane.
I just posted a roller last week.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Strap a Vonnen Shadow drive to your 911...

https://www.wired.com/story/vonnen-s...911-hybrid/amp

http://vonnen.com/components-specs/

Quick Reply: Time for a Tesla?