New to me 996 with coolant intermix issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by carlvs
Though minor and only on cylinder 5, that issue is still to be dealt with. I’ve looked into Nickies Hartech, steel liners and finally having US Chrome hone and re plate with Nikasil. The last option is intriguing and also one of the lower cost options. If this were a “forever” car I’d go with oversized Nickies.

Has any one out there used US Chrome?
In Wisconsin, correct?

Their primary* clientele are 928 owners. I sent a 944 S2 block to them and had it bored and replated. Sorry to say - I have not completed the rebuild on that engine and therefore it's not been tested. The service was good, the appearance seems good. Can't fault or praise them without a proper test.

* subcontracted?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
You should be able to find a used front console/oil pump in perfect shape easily. There are many parts available and the Boxster console/oil pump is also compatible.Although there are many different part numbers for the earlyier ones, they have all been superceeded to one part number. Just be sure to inspect it carefully and also get the matching "cover" that goes with the particular version.
Yes that’s my plan, I’ll scour some of the other forums and keep an eye on eBay.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
In Wisconsin, correct?

Their primary* clientele are 928 owners. I sent a 944 S2 block to them and had it bored and replated. Sorry to say - I have not completed the rebuild on that engine and therefore it's not been tested. The service was good, the appearance seems good. Can't fault or praise them without a proper test.

* subcontracted?
Yes WI, Just two hundred miles North of LN Engeneering.....
Old 06-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Yes WI, Just two hundred miles North of LN Engeneering.....
Do you know if LN approves of their process? Or is this just about geography?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 AM
carlvs
Instructor

I just located a set of good engine cases from a 2001 3.4, any problem using these with my 99 engine internals and cylinder heads?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I just located a set of good engine cases from a 2001 3.4, any problem using these with my 99 engine internals and cylinder heads?
The 2001 3.4 cases will be fine on the 99 3.4 internals. But check the cylinders carefully with a "bore gauge" to see how "round" they are, they can go oval pretty badly. If they are out-of-round check with Hartech/Alpine to see what they charge to re-round and install support rings.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The 2001 3.4 cases will be fine on the 99 3.4 internals. But check the cylinders carefully with a "bore gauge" to see how "round" they are, they can go oval pretty badly. If they are out-of-round check with Hartech/Alpine to see what they charge to re-round and install support rings.
Thanks for the information Porschetech3. The cases that I’ve located have been serviced by US Chrome and recoated with Nikasil.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Do you know if LN approves of their process? Or is this just about geography?
I do not know if they approve but I would suspect not..,
Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

In Wisconsin, correct?

* subcontracted?
We use Millennium, however we have our own standards for finishing and extensive QA program in place for any cylinder or block that is plated by Millennium for us.

For the blocks, they are pressure tested before and after sleeving or direct plating and are measured for ovality/taper as well as RpK, RvK, and Rk.

We stock many blocks available on exchange including some with direct plating in stock bore sizes, where cylinder cracking is not such a large issue, however that's bascially for Boxsters and base model Caymans. Too many cylinder issues with the other blocks to risk direct plating or even considering overbores.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Charles.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
We use Millennium, however we have our own standards for finishing and extensive QA program in place for any cylinder or block that is plated by Millennium for us.

For the blocks, they are pressure tested before and after sleeving or direct plating and are measured for ovality/taper as well as RpK, RvK, and Rk.

We stock many blocks available on exchange including some with direct plating in stock bore sizes, where cylinder cracking is not such a large issue, however that's bascially for Boxsters and base model Caymans. Too many cylinder issues with the other blocks to risk direct plating or even considering overbores.
Thank you for the clarification. Do you currently have a 3.4 to 3.4 or 3.4 to 3.6 996 case in stock for exchange?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Inventory fluctuates daily. We have 3.4 blocks in stock bore sizes with Nickies available, however I'm not sure if all our oversize blocks are spoken for as I am not in the office today and can't put my hands on them. Best to give the office a call to verify at 815-472-2939.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM
carlvs
Instructor

So to make sure I understand... If I ordered a set of 3.4 cases they could be shipped out shortly after being paid for. Correct? And you would or would not need my engine cases as a core?

Thank you Charles,
Carl
Old 07-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

So to make sure I understand... If I ordered a set of 3.4 cases they could be shipped out shortly after being paid for. Correct? And you would or would not need my engine cases as a core?

Thank you Charles,
Carl
Yes, we theoretically could ship the block immediately. We would have to charge a core charge if we do not receive your block first, which usually most customers would prefer not to have to pay, so they typically send us their case first so we can evaluate it to ensure there is no damage that would prevent us from reselling it.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Default Crankshaft

Nice rainy day to get a little work accomplished. Cleaned parts and installed new main bearings and laid the crankshaft in place. Measured CS end play. Waiting for the rest of the rod bearings to arrive. Ordered 6 rod bearings forgetting that 6 means 6 half shells not 6 pairs...

Crankshaft polished and cleaned.

Main bearing housing and oilers cleaned. Waiting for the new main bearing shells and thrust washers to be installed.

Crankshaft carrier assembled.

Crankshaft endplay checked and measures .005”

Quick Reply: New to me 996 with coolant intermix issue