you have other Hobbies/Interests

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
Other cars....and I breed ornamental dwarf shrimp 😂
Wow, those are awesome! At 43, the Detroit Steel thing is lost on me given their offerings when i was just getting into cars in the 80's were absolute crap -- but both of those are REALLY nicely done. Is the Impala a '63? Love everything about it.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:19 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I remember this, sorry, didn't put 2 and 2 together, That is so cool.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
Fantastic, As a kid my dad had a panel truck (w/o windows) of the same genre, but you have that over the top. Very very impressive. That's a lifestyle.

How much of the work did you do? Not that its an issue, but I know from 1st hand experience how much work goes into cars like that and I must say, one car of thT quality is usually a lifetime achievement for some people, and you have a stable full.

Big question(s) is. does the P car sit outside? or which do you take to shows?

I started it at 14, was suppose to just get a motor and be driven, well **** changed, we decided to chop it, etc and got beyond our capabilities. Had a good amount of help, but did a lot of the buttoning up. Cars essentially been done since '99. I drive the **** out of it, been cross country, in hurricanes in NC, snow storms in WV. Wife uses it for costco, nursery runs, etc. Everything I own gets driven weekly. No fun letting them sit. Everything also has 3 car seats (I've got 19 car seats in the house for my 8/6/2 year old). I don't allow myself to own something i can't take all 3 kids in (although i'm gonna be building a '38 buick soon that'll be a tough one)

Unfortunately the p-car does sit outside unfortunately. Got booted out when the impala came home last year, but it also gets driven the most. Car shows aren't my thing, i'll do the local meetups and such, but it's rare i'll ever enter it in a real show, and if i do it's usually cause i get better parking driving something in (will walk around, see what i need to, and bail). The '55 did shows and mag features when i first finished it.

Originally Posted by jllphan
Wow, those are awesome! At 43, the Detroit Steel thing is lost on me given their offerings when i was just getting into cars in the 80's were absolute crap -- but both of those are REALLY nicely done. Is the Impala a '63? Love everything about it.
Good eye, it is a '63. Cars pretty much all original minus the air suspension/wheels/disc brakes/stereo/and some engraved bits. It's probably my favorite, but absolute slow as **** with a 283 and 2 speed PG

Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 659 Posts

I love your Impala!

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
Car shows aren't my thing, i'll do the local meetups and such, but it's rare i'll ever enter it in a real show, and if i do it's usually cause i get better parking driving something in (will walk around, see what i need to, and bail).
I used to do that at Monterey Car Week until it backfired on me. I entered my car at the Legends of the Autobahn show for the shirt and parking. I checked out all the cars, mingled with some buddies and drank some beer. I was ready to bail by noon but when I went to leave, I had an award notice on the windshield. It seemed rude to not accept the trophy so I ended up sticking around until 2:30.

I'm half kidding here, it's always great to have your blood sweat and tears recognized by the judges but I don't keep the trophy on the mantelpiece or anything.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

HDDirtbag says "Good eye, it is a '63. (My ex. BiL also owned a 63, White over Red interior w 409 - 3 speed when I was approx. 12 y/o). Cars pretty much all original minus the air suspension/wheels/disc brakes/stereo/and some engraved bits. It's probably my favorite, but absolute slow as **** with a 283 and 2 speed PG

It's 6 years younger than me, so I bet it's also tired of working

Same here on driving my stuff, though I don't like to beat the Targa daily on our wonderful winter pocked Ohio roads. I've already replaced a Michelin Pilot on the MB this year and it's not my daily.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I love your Impala!I used to do that at Monterey Car Week until it backfired on me. I entered my car at the Legends of the Autobahn show for the shirt and parking. I checked out all the cars, mingled with some buddies and drank some beer. I was ready to bail by noon but when I went to leave, I had an award notice on the windshield. It seemed rude to not accept the trophy so I ended up sticking around until 2:30.

I'm half kidding here, it's always great to have your blood sweat and tears recognized by the judges but I don't keep the trophy on the mantelpiece or anything.

Haha, that's awesome! I actually turned away an award at a goodguys show once when my second kid was still an infant and was throwing a **** fit 😂
Old 06-08-2019, 09:40 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
Bonefish are the most amazing to catch on a fly--pound for pound. I call them liquid lightning.
Agree, Bonefish are a lot of fun on a fly rod
Old 06-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

I like doing this.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Yorkwpb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offshore

Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorkwpb
Sweet, I have a brand new fly rod in the rod tube for just that !!!! and I haven't had the chance yet.....
Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I like doing this.

I traded my R1 for my 911. I miss it dearly, but it's nice to have 4 wheels with some speed now. Good for you!!!!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love to:
-Watch my kids play sports... Son is playing college lacrosse, and daughter could absolutely play in college if she wants
-Boat
-Bird Hunt
-Trap Shoot

I like to:
-Golf (just don't have enough time)
-Play soccer and tennis
-Fish (my son LOVES it)
-Deer Hunt
-watch my beloved Detroit Lions find new ways to make me crazy
Old 06-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member