996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question on 996 C2 Muffler tips

Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 PM
Christopher Rust
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question on 996 C2 Muffler tips

Hi - New here with a '99 996 C2... have a set of new muffler tips and OEM ring clips to go with.
Bolts on the old ones are loosened off easy enough (Thanks wd40) but trying to open the clip wide enough to actually remove the old
Tips is proving to be a pig. Tried using snap ring pliers (which promptly broke on applying pressure).
Given opening the clips enough to mount the new ones is also likely to be an utter sod of a thing - does anyone have any tips for doing this
job... which should be simple but for gubbins here, isn't proving so.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

those damn clips are a PITA. Once you wrestle them off....then its equally a challenge to get them back on....my new custom exhaust eliminates thos ridiculous things

i feel your pain!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Christopher Rust
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
those damn clips are a PITA. Once you wrestle them off....then its equally a challenge to get them back on....my new custom exhaust eliminates thos ridiculous things

i feel your pain!
Yup - I see on the link there are a bunch of clips suitable.. They look like they are sprung way more open than the ones I have... IE Sprung outwards and bolt closes them tight.
If so I might grab a pair. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:16 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Rust
Hi - New here with a '99 996 C2... have a set of new muffler tips and OEM ring clips to go with.
Bolts on the old ones are loosened off easy enough (Thanks wd40) but trying to open the clip wide enough to actually remove the old
Tips is proving to be a pig. Tried using snap ring pliers (which promptly broke on applying pressure).
Given opening the clips enough to mount the new ones is also likely to be an utter sod of a thing - does anyone have any tips for doing this
job... which should be simple but for gubbins here, isn't proving so.
Spraying a bit of wd-40 into the seam where the tips slip over the exhaust pipes can help with removal and install to keep them from binding up. Use the little red tube that fits in the spray nozzle. Then rotate them back and forth while pulling them out. Wearing mechanic’s gloves helps prevent busted knuckles in the process.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I used some long heavy duty needle nose pliers to pry the clamps apart once I removed the bolt. That was with the mufflers out though. Not sure if there is enough room with mufflers in the car to do this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid Question on 996 C2 Muffler tips