Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Parts Diagram - Someone help please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front Suspension Parts Diagram - Someone help please?

I'm having issues with my Front Suspension and have some parts I need to purchase and replace. I'm having difficulty understanding what's what, because different websites are labeling the parts differently. I've uploaded the parts diagram for reference.

I need to purchase:

Control arm lunks
Tie Rods
Sway Bar Drop Links
Sway Bar Bushings

Could any of you list which part number refers to each of the items, above? It'd really help me out! THanks for everyones help!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
suspension diagram.pdf (284.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
I'm having issues with my Front Suspension and have some parts I need to purchase and replace. I'm having difficulty understanding what's what, because different websites are labeling the parts differently. I've uploaded the parts diagram for reference.

I need to purchase:

Control arm lunks
Tie Rods
Sway Bar Drop Links
Sway Bar Bushings

Could any of you list which part number refers to each of the items, above? It'd really help me out! THanks for everyones help!
In the front there are 2 different control arms. Items 3 and 6 in the diagram you uploaded. 6 is the main control arm ("coffin arm") that includes the ball joint and 2 rubber bushings. Item 3 is a diagonal "tuning fork" arm that controls/limits fore-aft movement of the "coffin" arm. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=401-00
For tie rods you need items 6-8 here depending on whether you're talking inner or outer ends: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-00
For the swaybar bushings you need 2 of part 2 on this diagram: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=402-05

I'm not advocating buying from that particular site, they just happen to have easily linkable diagrams. Also be sure you're getting parts for the right car. Especially the swaybar bushings may be different depending what suspension you have.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
In the front there are 2 different control arms. Items 3 and 6 in the diagram you uploaded. 6 is the main control arm ("coffin arm") that includes the ball joint and 2 rubber bushings. Item 3 is a diagonal "tuning fork" arm that controls/limits fore-aft movement of the "coffin" arm. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=401-00
For tie rods you need items 6-8 here depending on whether you're talking inner or outer ends: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-00
For the swaybar bushings you need 2 of part 2 on this diagram: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=402-05

I'm not advocating buying from that particular site, they just happen to have easily linkable diagrams. Also be sure you're getting parts for the right car. Especially the swaybar bushings may be different depending what suspension you have.

Good luck!
Sir, THANK YOU! That's exactly what I needed. Out of curiosity, what exactly do the sway bar bushings do? It doesn't seem to be an essential piece of equipment, yet people discuss it as being a very important part of the suspension.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Jaycote
Sir, THANK YOU! That's exactly what I needed. Out of curiosity, what exactly do the sway bar bushings do? It doesn't seem to be an essential piece of equipment, yet people discuss it as being a very important part of the suspension.
The bushings just locate the swaybar relative to the chassis without letting it knock/grind/whatever. They should last basically forever unless they totally dry rot and crumble. You might be thinking of the end links that connect the swaybar to the suspension. Those have ball joints that can wear and cause nasty noises.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 597 Posts

OP,
dkraige gave you the good gouge. I suggest you go to elephantracing.com and use their 996 suspension navigator...decent primer for front/rear suspension parts and their function.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
OP,
dkraige gave you the good gouge. I suggest you go to elephantracing.com and use their 996 suspension navigator...decent primer for front/rear suspension parts and their function.
AWESOME resource!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
The bushings just locate the swaybar relative to the chassis without letting it knock/grind/whatever. They should last basically forever unless they totally dry rot and crumble. You might be thinking of the end links that connect the swaybar to the suspension. Those have ball joints that can wear and cause nasty noises.
That is not true. They are basically rubber bearings and do wear out over time from the twisting motion of the sway/anti roll bar. The easiest way to check it is by looking for a gap between the bushings and the sway bar, or by grabbing the bar and trying to check for any free play. If it moves, the busing is worn. These are not crucial safety components, neither are the sway bar end links, but it can be annoying when they keep clanking.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Imo000
That is not true. They are basically rubber bearings and do wear out over time from the twisting motion of the sway/anti roll bar. The easiest way to check it is by looking for a gap between the bushings and the sway bar, or by grabbing the bar and trying to check for any free play. If it moves, the busing is worn. These are not crucial safety components, neither are the sway bar end links, but it can be annoying when they keep clanking.
You're right. My point was that the fundamental functionality of the swaybar will not be compromised even if the bushing is pretty worn. i.e. it's not a part worth preventively replacing if it looks good. Only when it's shot enough that you can see a gap or move it around by hand like you mentioned would it really warrant replacement.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

That suspension navigator on elephandracing.com is great - thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Parts Diagram - Someone help please?