Sponsored by:

New Stereo Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 AM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Stereo Option

Was googling around and came across this very interesting option for an aftermarket upgrade:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ig1fVc...BoC89EQAvD_BwE

So many good things about this including cost, single din ease of install, built in phone cradle and front USB charger. This checks a lot of boxes not to mention makes you feel good you're not overspending on a giant stereo screen when you have a perfectly good one in your pocket.

Currently my car is set up like this (from top to bottom):

Slot 1 HVAC
Slot 2 Radio
Slot 3 CD holder
Slot 4 cubby

Since the phone when in the cradle would completely cover the HVAC controls if I install the new stereo in slot 2, I will have to move the HVAC to slot 4, which I know is possible. However, what I don't know for sure is if Slot 1 will accept a cubby?

Second option would be stereo in slot 1, cubby in slot 2, HVAC slot 4.

As a side note, I'd prefer the HVAC relo to be in slot 3 so the shift **** isn't in front of the controls, but I've seen some threads about that not fitting there.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:15 AM
ftored
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks very interesting!
And interesting choice of car in the link you provided! Golf MK I GTI?? It doesn't look that retro to go with the car but does not look too bad as well!

I think the second option would be the best, even though the phone can obstruct the cup holder if you have an 996.2 or the central air-vents in both cases of 996.1 and 996.2!

What you going to put in the Slot 3 if HVAC is not possible? You will leave the CD holder?
Mine has the HVAC in slot 4 and i find it a bit hard to use at times! Need to move around to be able to see what exactly I am doing!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Very cool!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

This is very cool. When I first glanced at the link on my iPhone, I just thought it was just a screen that pops out of the radio -- but, looking on the computer, I now see that that your phone is the screen. It's a nice looking radio also -- not over the top graphics/lights like many modern radios.

A few thoughts:
  1. Hopefully it's possible to turn off those LED display things on the left and right of the Pioneer logo, that's the only thing that ruins the look for me.
  2. Wish the phone dock was spring loaded so that it popped in and out without taking off the faceplate, but not a big deal.
  3. I use FM presets a lot, I'd like to see how you access FM presets and I definitely wish they had more than 6 presets per FM bank (why do modern radios, that could easily hold a gazillion stations, think that 6 is the ideal number????).
  4. I hope you can just use what ever app you want directly on the phone without having to do everything through Pioneer SmartSync app
  5. I wonder how long it will be before Apple slips something into an IOS update that makes this integration to no longer work well
  6. Why doesn't it say "Porsche" rather than "Pioneer" in the middle?

This customer photo (in non-dock mode) makes it look like you can shut off the left/right LED graphics:

Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

The manual says you can change the button and the two LED blobs colors independently and the color variation is infinite. So likely matchable to the Porsche interior yellow on the cluster and HVAC. The two silver buttons on the sides are the biggest detractor for matching. I bet if you really wanted to, you could buff off the Pioneer logo

What would really be cool is if the cradle had built in Qi charging! Then you wouldn't have the extra cord dangling, but you could probably get a short USB in the interim. Backup camera integration through your phone would be nice too! Maybe in a few years the new another model will have these features and it would be less of a bear to upgrade since this one was only $150
Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Akshun12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I have to get my Bose deck replaced now that it no longer works after a trip to a Porsche "specialty" shop in Allentown PA, but I digress.

Anywhoo, does the phone only work with this deck while its connected to the USB? In both the pic above and the link attached both times the phone was attached to the USB so I want to make sure that if I don't want to plug it in that I don't have to do so.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Akshun12
Thanks, I have to get my Bose deck replaced now that it no longer works after a trip to a Porsche "specialty" shop in Allentown PA, but I digress.

Anywhoo, does the phone only work with this deck while its connected to the USB? In both the pic above and the link attached both times the phone was attached to the USB so I want to make sure that if I don't want to plug it in that I don't have to do so.

All the demo videos I've seen actually don't have the phone hooked up via cable. Connection is via bluetooth. You'd want to use the USB for charging and memory/media sticks. Also the deck doesn't have to have the phone paired or wired to work the tuner, which is nice. Kinda cool you can consolidate your phone cradle and charger into one din on your dash. Keeps it neat.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pdizzle1
The manual says you can change the button and the two LED blobs colors independently and the color variation is infinite. So likely matchable to the Porsche interior yellow on the cluster and HVAC. The two silver buttons on the sides are the biggest detractor for matching. I bet if you really wanted to, you could buff off the Pioneer logo

What would really be cool is if the cradle had built in Qi charging! Then you wouldn't have the extra cord dangling, but you could probably get a short USB in the interim. Backup camera integration through your phone would be nice too! Maybe in a few years the new another model will have these features and it would be less of a bear to upgrade since this one was only $150
That's a great idea with the wireless Qi charging!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

I did a double din with a Sony XAV-AX5000 receiver that has Apple Carplay. I absolutely love it. My car has the headunit in the top two slots, the CD holder which will soon be replaced with a cubby, and the HVAC on the bottom. Easy to reach all of the controls and looks nice. I ran the dual USB plugs to the center console and keep my charging cord in there. I have a Hertz 5 channel amp in the frunk, I run the dash speakers on the front channels, the rear speakers on the rear channel, and the door speakers wired in series on the sub channel. For what it is, it sounds very good.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Akshun12
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattBurns
I did a double din with a Sony XAV-AX5000 receiver that has Apple Carplay. I absolutely love it. My car has the headunit in the top two slots, the CD holder which will soon be replaced with a cubby, and the HVAC on the bottom. Easy to reach all of the controls and looks nice. I ran the dual USB plugs to the center console and keep my charging cord in there. I have a Hertz 5 channel amp in the frunk, I run the dash speakers on the front channels, the rear speakers on the rear channel, and the door speakers wired in series on the sub channel. For what it is, it sounds very good.

CHA-CHING!!!!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I can't speak for this particular radio but I have a cheap Pioneer single din radio in my Volkswagen and the iPhone integration is excellent. I'm guessing that it didn't get worse. I'm confused by the description, does this have line level outputs or just speaker level outputs?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car's PO put in the Pioneer. I like it plus it has a backup camera.

Quick Reply: New Stereo Option