996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

P0022, rough idle after new battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 PM
FAS4WD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0022, rough idle after new battery ?

All, done a ton of research, just looking for any experience.

03C4S with 58k. I changed the battery over and took a run round the block, no issues. Took out again next day for a long run, it pulled hard as expected and ran very well. Got home and idle was very poor and I guessed DME not adapted fully. Tried again today and I started getting codes. First off was PL 1325 and misfire codes 300, 301, 302 and 303.

I ran again around block and performance off. Cleared codes and now the persistent code is P0022 with the words
"Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 2 Timing over retarded".

Any experience ? I am hoping just solenoid (Can be replaced without removing cam cover on 03) and had a quick look. There are two solenoids next to the coils on Bank 2 (passenger side). One is closest to back of car, one more in the middle between the coils. I am assuming its the one towards rear of car. Looks like I have to remove muffler to get clearance.

I will have a look at the oil (Motul X-cess 5W-40) which has around 1500 miles and 5 months on it.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated,

David
Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM
FAS4WD
Advanced

I will swap the lift solenoids from bank 2 to bank 1 and see if the fault follows.

I will report back but still looking for any experience,

Thanks

David
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Would it make any sense to clear all codes, reset the DME, recalibrate the e-gas throttle, give it a couple of drive cycles and monitor for faults again before tearing into swapping parts around?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 AM
FAS4WD
Advanced

Great minds and all that ... I actually did that after posting and codes came back on driveway before I had a chance to drive. Drove around block and power down and idle very bad to point I thought it may stall at stop sign. I am pretty sure the timing is off based most likely on poor/failing actuator or hopefully just the solenoid. I have a Durametic inbounds to hopefully narrow down further.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 04:01 PM
Max Martin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAS4WD
Great minds and all that ... I actually did that after posting and codes came back on driveway before I had a chance to drive. Drove around block and power down and idle very bad to point I thought it may stall at stop sign. I am pretty sure the timing is off based most likely on poor/failing actuator or hopefully just the solenoid. I have a Durametic inbounds to hopefully narrow down further.

Thanks
What did this end up being? any resolution?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:35 PM
FAS4WD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Martin
What did this end up being? any resolution?
Max. A major chapter in my life. Catastrophic failure caused by a foreign object first stretching timing chain then ultimately going though one of of the scavenge pumps. 12 bent valves bank 2.

it is now running a built 3.8 with around 375 hp. In a related note, my children lost their college funds ;-)

David
Old 01-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Max Martin
5th Gear

Max. A major chapter in my life. Catastrophic failure caused by a foreign object first stretching timing chain then ultimately going though one of of the scavenge pumps. 12 bent valves bank 2.

it is now running a built 3.8 with around 375 hp. In a related note, my children lost their college funds ;-)

David

haha well I am dealing with same code... did dura help diagnose?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:59 PM
FAS4WD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Martin
haha well I am dealing with same code... did dura help diagnose?
Max,

in this case I found it of limited value. In the end I bought a timing kit and found bank two offset when bank 1 and crank in correct position for locking engine.

The are really very few potential causes. If you are lucky it’s the one of the solenoids of the cam sequencer device itself (variocam). The next culprit would be a failed sequencer itself. These can both be repaired with limited top end dismantling. The only other options are a stretched timing chain or the gear that drives the chain has spun on the intermediate shaft. One of the upgrades my engine has is pinning the drive gear. These failures require engine out full dismantling and splitting the case as there are seemingly no timing chains with links available so the only way to get a new one installed is removing intermediate shaft. .

I found the issue through a visual inspection on bank 2 by removing valve cover and saw debris and and the totaled pump.

I would recommend you perform a visual inspection of the affected bank. Next step would be a check of static timing and even a leak down test on the cylinders on the affected bank.

David

Old 01-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Max Martin
5th Gear

Max,

in this case I found it of limited value. In the end I bought a timing kit and found bank two offset when bank 1 and crank in correct position for locking engine.

The are really very few potential causes. If you are lucky it’s the one of the solenoids of the cam sequencer device itself (variocam). The next culprit would be a failed sequencer itself. These can both be repaired with limited top end dismantling. The only other options are a stretched timing chain or the gear that drives the chain has spun on the intermediate shaft. One of the upgrades my engine has is pinning the drive gear. These failures require engine out full dismantling and splitting the case as there are seemingly no timing chains with links available so the only way to get a new one installed is removing intermediate shaft. .

I found the issue through a visual inspection on bank 2 by removing valve cover and saw debris and and the totaled pump.

I would recommend you perform a visual inspection of the affected bank. Next step would be a check of static timing and even a leak down test on the cylinders on the affected bank.

David

Thanks for the tips... basically dealing with a P0344 Camshaft position sensor A circuit intermittent (bank 1 )

P0022 Intake position over retarded (bank 2)

after having engine removed and replacing the camshafts
Old 01-03-2021, 05:18 PM
FAS4WD
Advanced

Got it. Good luck and keep me posted.

Quick Reply: P0022, rough idle after new battery ?