Sponsored by:

Key Fob Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,320 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Never thought about this on the Porsche 996. Are you saying that if you manually lock/unlock the car with the laser cut portion, the car will engage/disengage the security system as normal?
yep,try it ! BUT you must also turn on the ignition with the laser cut key and have the "pill" in close proximity( either in the hey head or glued to the surround) within 5 seconds to disable the alarm.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
yep,try it ! BUT you must also turn on the ignition with the laser cut key and have the "pill" in close proximity( either in the hey head or glued to the surround) within 5 seconds to disable the alarm.
5 seconds? Wow, they must have lots of faith in me.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
5 seconds? Wow, they must have lots of faith in me.
Yea, at my age I don't move fast either. When I manually unlock, I immediately put the key in ignition and turn on, THEN get in the car and get comphy.

On my Tip I just go ahead and crank it while still standing outside since I don't have to push a clutch pedal down to start.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Strange. On my 99 C2, I can manually unlock the door (which I have to do every time because my key fob gave up remote 10 years ago), put the key in my pocket and can go about my business, loading groceries in the frunk, unload stuff, walk away. The car does not re-lock or set off the alarm. I can unlock, put the key in my pocket, never open the door and come back later and it is still just sitting there. Door opens right up. No alarm, no nothing. Just get in, fire it up and drive away.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Strange. On my 99 C2, I can manually unlock the door (which I have to do every time because my key fob gave up remote 10 years ago), put the key in my pocket and can go about my business, loading groceries in the frunk, unload stuff, walk away. The car does not re-lock or set off the alarm. I can unlock, put the key in my pocket, never open the door and come back later and it is still just sitting there. Door opens right up. No alarm, no nothing. Just get in, fire it up and drive away.
Yea, come to think of it, it's my 99 Cabriolet that when it's locked and I just reach in and open the door from the inside instead of using the key that I have to tun on the ignition within 5 seconds to disable the alarm.

Sucks getting old and having Sometimerze.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yea, come to think of it, it's my 99 Cabriolet that when it's locked and I just reach in and open the door from the inside instead of using the key that I have to tun on the ignition within 5 seconds to disable the alarm.

Sucks getting old and having Sometimerze.
For my ‘02 Turbo, there’s no consistency, except that it will alarm if unlocked with the key. It has alarmed immediately upon unlock, or at 10 seconds after unlocking. I’m always prepared for the immediate-alarm case, so as soon as I unlock it, I stick the key in, and turn on the ignition (can’t fully start it because it’s got 3 pedals)... When it has immediately alarmed, just sticking in the key hasn’t silenced it; the key has to be turned to light the dash.

My fob just stopped working, just as I parked the car at the showcase at the The High Altitude Porsche Tour. Great! So here’s me trying to move the car while onlookers are there, hoping not to be the guy who sets off his alarm... Thankfully, she decided not to immediately alarm...

Current key is the original fob electronics, security pill, and cut metal key swapped into an aftermarket replacement head (I still have the original, but its “snap” points were so well worn they would no longer keep the key together). It had been eating batteries at a fast rate- one every month or so, for a car that is garaged most of the time. I’ve tried the “flip over battery” reset, replaced the battery, nothing. The LED does light now that it has a fresh battery.

Any other ideas? And, no, the keys did not get delivered with the tags, so it seems perhaps new ones are in order, unless I just want to unlock with the driver’s door lock.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I figured out my issue a few weeks ago. I don't think I posted my issue here because I could never get a consistent read on what was happening.

I finally figured out if I hold the remote in front of the windshield, it locks and unlocks 100% of the time. So my 996 is a victim of the bad reception issue. There is a service bulletin to address this issue, so when I'm bored, I'll do the work for that--I think there's a new antenna assembly and it gets relocated. Too many other higher priorities for it at the moment.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

I just found Porschetech3’s post in #37 of this forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...are-key-3.html
Will try this later today and report.

I’m assuming when s/he writes, “then press the unlock button” s/he’s referring to the dashboard button....
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

That reset trick didn’t help. It might for someone else, so if you try it, please post results. For me, I noticed that the red LED is lit when I unlock manually, which my indie tells me is the signal that something is wrong with the locking system. The last time, it was a passenger’s door lock mechanism that wouldn’t lock and also didn’t signal properly for the regulator to lower the window.

Cheers,
Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

does this help? This must be why dealer charges alot- ya think
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
does this help? This must be why dealer charges alot- ya think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5mG6BQMVb8
Uh, no, not really helpful. I’ve gotten 17 years out of both keys, and I have no concern about paying a dealer or an indie to reprogram some more for the years to come.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my 3 keys work. I'm lucky 4 actually..

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problem