Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Pre-Cut Window Tint

Has anyone tried these pre-cut kits?
"Summer is coming"!

Last edited by 808Bill; 05-09-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Has anyone tried these pre-cut kits?
"Summer is coming"!
Which ones, from where? Link please...
Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Nope...The tint I wanted can only be installed by authorized installers. Since you're in HI Bill, see if you have any shops that can install 3M Crystalline.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I have never had any success in installing window tint. I've tried and I suck at it. Every car that I have had I always pay a professional window tinter, and I always specify that I want the UV protective film, 3M or LLumar ceramic or metal tint or whatever it is...I forget. Lasted for 12 years now.

The other thing that makes it a bit more complicated is the window drop. The door needs to be open to install the tint so the door latch needs to be triggered so it remains in the full up position. Then the applied tint needs to dry some before the door is closed. Takes time. Professionals use a heat gun to speed up the drying process. The other difficulty is peeling back the door window seal enough to get the tint below the door seal. Some tricks for that too. Leave it to the professionals because a bad tint job just looks.....bad.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Nope...The tint I wanted can only be installed by authorized installers. Since you're in HI Bill, see if you have any shops that can install 3M Crystalline.
$200.00 locally, and the guys mobile which is nice.
I tinted my 67 VW bus back in the 80's and it came out really good. But, it was all flat glass and no power windows.

https://www.rvinyl.com/Porsche-911-2...ndow-Tint.html One of a few advertised online.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Some tricks I've used.

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I have never had any success in installing window tint. I've tried and I suck at it. Every car that I have had I always pay a professional window tinter, and I always specify that I want the UV protective film, 3M or LLumar ceramic or metal tint or whatever it is...I forget. Lasted for 12 years now.

3M is good stuff

The other thing that makes it a bit more complicated is the window drop. The door needs to be open to install the tint so the door latch needs to be triggered so it remains in the full up position. Then the applied tint needs to dry some before the door is closed. Takes time. Professionals use a heat gun to speed up the drying process. The other difficulty is peeling back the door window seal enough to get the tint below the door seal. Some tricks for that too. Leave it to the professionals because a bad tint job just looks.....bad.
Window door seal, I find it's easier to remove panel than trying to pull it back, plus you can get down far enough where you don't have to worry about the drop and with it removed, you can squeegee all the water out. a Heat gun or Dryer makes it quicker to get it completed.
As far as templates or pre cut. you only get one chance. I figure out what side Film is going to stick and mark it. Rough in both sides, make sure glass is spotless, use plenty of water/solution, sharp blades. take your time and have at it, It's like a big decal. On a frameless window like ours I like to leave clear edge less than 1/4 ". Less problems later.

I know in a lot of places you can't live w/o Film, but personally I quit using it, It must be my eyes, I don't care for it anymore. Just removed it from my MB recently. (even more fun to remove)

Quick Reply: Pre-Cut Window Tint