Sponsored by:

when to first polish and protect leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default when to first polish and protect leather

I am picking up my new C4S this weekend and would appreciate opinions on when to first wax (or polish) and apply leather treatment.
I am leaning towards Ziano products.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: when to first polish and protect leather

Originally posted by mal28
I am picking up my new C4S this weekend and would appreciate opinions on when to first wax (or polish) and apply leather treatment.
I am leaning towards Ziano products.

Thanks
I really recommend Zaino Bros. It's hard to say when to apply the first wax... My C4S has 700 miles on it and today I took it to the car wash and let them wash it... get all the snow and salt off it. If it were summer time I could wash it myself but really wouldn't wax it. For the Zaino bros. to be effective you need to take off the existing wax... I wouldn't do this to a new car until it's absolutely obvious that it needs it.

Good luck with the C4S!! (What color is it?)

Rob
Old 02-12-2004, 09:56 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Artic grey/ graphite.

I really like this new color and combination. I will post pics as soon as the car is home

Like you, I live in the north (Outside Cleveland) and am not happy about taking the car out in the bad weather. At first, I was going to leave the car at the dealer until the weather was better, but after I saw the car, I could not resist!

what about the leather, have you used the Ziano leather care products? when would you first treat the leather? thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

That is a nice color combo. The one thing I've learned is that these C4 and C4S really handle well in the bad weather, just make sure you get winter tires... makes a HUGE difference.

I'm not sure about the leather... I don't plan on touching my leather for at least a couple of months (I have the C4S Cab with Black interior so I may treat it sooner than you would because of direct sun and dirt).

When I got my 2001 C4 (with graphite grey interior) I waited a while before treating it... somehow the patina changes when you condition the leather - and I always used the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner.

I would certainly take a soft cloth and use the cleaner to clean it when needed but wouldn't condition until it really needs it.

Rob
Old 02-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't need to polish you car for quite a while, until you get a lot of swirls and scratches, and with arctic silver, they're not very noticeable.

I wax my new cars as soon as I wash them the first time. The dealers detail the car, usually with low quality wax, so you want to get a good coat of carnauba on it right away. I suggest One Grand Blitz wax--goes on and off very easily, and last a really long time.

For the interior, I wouldn't worry about it for at least a year, then you can use Lexol.

Last edited by Poursha; 02-13-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Fantod
Advanced

I agree with Poursha to put on a good coat of carnuba wax after your first wash.
Sunlight , perspiration and body oils are the keys to how often you treat your leather. I clean and treat mine with Lexol twice a year , after 4 years still looks new.
I'm getting a cab and I'll treat it more frequently due to more exposure.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:28 PM
peterC4C
Instructor

I would'nt polish for a long long time. and if you like Zaino, look into the new Meguires NXT. Heard alot of good things about it on Autopia. I'm planning to try it as soon as I get my car back.

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/nxt_home.cfm

Click on the tech wax, then click the video link on bottom of the page.

Peter

Last edited by peterC4C; 02-13-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: when to first polish and protect leather