Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

What is this part on the passenger side?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM
cds72911
Addict
Rennlist Member

You just squeeze the oval loop where it is wider, this makes it into more of a circle, releasing the catch, so you can pull it straight back off the barb.

Press in at red arrows:

Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 PM
rhkwon
User

Thank you so much cds72911!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
dporto
Super User

Whatever you do, don't damage that hose - you'll have to drop the engine and remove the entire intake plenum (and maybe some other stuff) in order to replace it... Don't ask me how I know...
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM
rhkwon
User

OK guys. I tried pressing the two areas where the red arrows are and I still can't get this damn thing to come out. Do I need to pry this thing with a screwdriver or grab the vent with pliers and trying to forcefully pull it out or what? Maybe I need to pinch it just so that it is perfectly round?

I can turn the vent around but it won't pull out. I don't want to damage the hose. Although the space is kinda limited, I can still get enough leverage on the elbow to pull it out but it won't budge.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Porschetech3
User

Originally Posted by rhkwon View Post
OK guys. I tried pressing the two areas where the red arrows are and I still can't get this damn thing to come out. Do I need to pry this thing with a screwdriver or grab the vent with pliers and trying to forcefully pull it out or what? Maybe I need to pinch it just so that it is perfectly round?

I can turn the vent around but it won't pull out. I don't want to damage the hose. Although the space is kinda limited, I can still get enough leverage on the elbow to pull it out but it won't budge.
You would think with all the oil around that the o-ringed connection would be easy to pull apart, but it isn't. Usually takes a bit of prying with a screwdriver at the separation point to get it to break loose while squeezing the release.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 PM
808Bill
Super User

Yes they can be tough...Just don't get crazy and break it!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
rhkwon
User

I spent 2 hours on this damn thing and no success. Rather than break something I have left the vent alone as all it is is just a plastic part. I knew I should have left this thing alone but curiosity got the best of me. Anyway, I replaced the o-ring but now I canít get that 10mm bolt back on. There are wires and AC hoses in the way so that you canít get a straight shot to get the bolt started. Tried all kinds of extensions, u joints, small wrenches etc. thereís just no room.

Anyone have a clever solution short of taking the compressor off?

And second question. The vent now turns freely in the hose. Iím worried that this may not be good as it may leak air? Was kind of tight when I removed it from the block but after all that finagling it now spins within the hose Iím thinking maybe it was because it had been sealed and stuck on their so long? I donít think the hose has any replaceable o-ring?

i convinced myself that the 996 was such an easy car to work on but itís not. Why the hell they made some of these bolts and connections so difficult is beyond me.

This frickin bolt is ready to take the top spot for me in most difficult bolts ever to remove and get back on. I thought the fuel pressure regulator 10mm bolt on my 1990 Toyota Camry All Trac was difficult years ago but this one takes the cake.

Last edited by rhkwon; 05-15-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM
cds72911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take a break, take the night off. That bolt isn't really that tricky, but fatigue, frustration, etc. are getting the best of you. Take some time off, get some rest, and try again tomorrow.

The 996 is very easy to work on. German engineers have this stuff figured out.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 PM
808Bill
Super User

^^This!
Wait till you have an AOS replacement to do
Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 PM
rhkwon
User

Originally Posted by cds72911 View Post
Take a break, take the night off. That bolt isn't really that tricky, but fatigue, frustration, etc. are getting the best of you. Take some time off, get some rest, and try again tomorrow.

The 996 is very easy to work on. German engineers have this stuff figured out.
Yup I was thinking the same thing. Just need to clear my mind and make it simple. Today it was hotter than hell and mosquitos biting the hell out of me. Yeah I should have sprayed on some repellent but I was on a mission and couldnít be bothered. Then combine all this with the stupid LED light that wonít stay in place and shine on the bolt. And then trying to hurry up before I have to meet my aunt for dinner. Lots of frustrating things going on at the same time make for a difficult bolt even more difficult.

Yes i I still believe the 996 is deceptively easy and simple to work on. Thatís why I love this car. Everything is fairly straightforward. It just takes a lot of methodical steps to get to the actual part you want to replace.

Thanks for the positive words. Gives me inspiration when I tackle this bolt this weekend.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 PM
rhkwon
User

Originally Posted by 808Bill View Post
^^This!
Wait till you have an AOS replacement to do
I have already decided to do this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post15806278

This stupid elbow vent to the AOS was supposed to be a simple appetizer and warm up. And now Iím starting to second guess myself.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:52 PM
rhkwon
User

Finally got the elbow vent off today. Took a big slip joint plier to push the hose together (there are 2 ribbed areas where the red arrow is) and after a little wriggling the thing came right off. I used the same technique yesterday but it would not work. Guess a day to rest and think it over really helped. I thought this was just another unnecessary plastic elbow so just for kicks I decided to test it. The vent part of the elbow (not attached to anything) does have some type of valve in it. On the new one if you suck on it you can barely get any air through it. On the old one, air moved fairly freely with a grinding kind of noise so I think the valve was on its way out. There was also a small thin puddle of oil in it so I'm glad I was able to change it with a new one and I'm thinking if oil is this far away from the AOS, the AOS may be at the point of needing replacement. Part number is 996-107-047-51-M100 and it does come with the o-ring. The o-ring itself is part number 999-707-154-40-M127. Just like in the post above, the easiest way to remove the valve is to get a 10mm socket on it with a long extension and swivel joint and it will come undone. After that, you will have more room to access the hose clip.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 PM
rhkwon
User

Now I am trying to get that 10mm bolt back in but all the AC lines and big coolant pipe are interfering. The thread on the block does not start until the bolt goes in a little bit but I can't get any leverage or torque on the bolt because there is no space. Meaning the bolt has to be completely straight to go down but with the swivel socket it will only go in at an angle. Anyone know how to remove that small black wire connector to the left of the bolt hole? There is another solid pipe of some kind behind the electrical connector that will not move so I need all the room I can get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: