Help getting water pump out and carrier won't move

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:17 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help getting water pump out and carrier won't move

Guys,

I'm having a hell of a time getting my carrier to move away from the engine. I've followed the directions in this DIY: http://p-car.com/996/diy/waterpump/

I have the car off the ground on jackstands. Removed everything. Also drained the coolant, undone the thermostat and water pump hoses.

I have loosened the 2 15mm nuts that attach to the carrier and have raised the engine with a piece of wood under the jack right under the engine pan but the carrier won't budge on the driver side bolt. The passenger side of the carrier moves freely away from the bolt. I raised the engine even higher and still the driver side won't move backwards. I even jacked up the engine to the point the rear jack point was off the jacks! What am I doing wrong? Should I take a hammer and try to bang out the carrier on drivers side toward the bumper? I'm afraid of stripping the bolt.

The DIY indicated to put the jack under the "engine jack point" in front of the engine pan and slightly raise? The Pelican DIY indicates to just slightly raise the engine.

I do remember last year after I replaced my engine mounts, the driver side tailpipe was hanging down a bit more than the passenger side but after awhile, it settled and everything is now even. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I'm also struggling with the right lower 10mm water pump bolt. Can't get the thing out. Maybe with the carrier loosened it will come out easier?

If I can't remove the carrier forward, can I still get the water pump out if I remove the thermostat and the hard coolant pipes? I'm replacing all the hoses and thermostat anyway.

Any suggestions? Been struggling all afternoon with this damn thing.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 01 I didn't loosen the carrier. The 10mm was a pain. Used a short wrench and it took forever since there was no room to turn it. I removed the left side exhaust manifold to get the pump out. It's been about 5 years and I don't remember any other details.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Have you tried loosening (not removing) the engine mount big nuts? That may help.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
On my 01 I didn't loosen the carrier. The 10mm was a pain. Used a short wrench and it took forever since there was no room to turn it. I removed the left side exhaust manifold to get the pump out. It's been about 5 years and I don't remember any other details.
This gives me some hope that there is another way. But I sure as hell don’t want to remove the exhaust manifold.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Have you tried loosening (not removing) the engine mount big nuts? That may help.
I will give it a shot. I have not seen this in any of the DIY’s.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:07 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Make sure your jack is centered under the engine. You should be just unweighting it, not lifting it. You may have it slightly tilted and it's putting pressure on one side. I didn't have that problem when I did my water pump, but that happened to me when I changed my engine mounts. I wasn't able to put a nut on one side.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
Make sure your jack is centered under the engine. You should be just unweighting it, not lifting it. You may have it slightly tilted and it's putting pressure on one side. I didn't have that problem when I did my water pump, but that happened to me when I changed my engine mounts. I wasn't able to put a nut on one side.
i agree totally. But this guy is jacking his engine literally to high heaven.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

You should keep pausing to check while jacking. (That doesn't sound right).
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Every pump of the jack I did check.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rhkwon
Every pump of the jack I did check.
rhkwon, I just did this 5 days ago. Pretty sure I can help, but to difficult to type out. Give me a PM and contact #. Sure I can help. Then we'll share with the forum when we get you settled.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like you got three bolts going through the carrier just check this diagramAttachment 1303441
Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM
rhkwon
Instructor

Attachment doesn’t work and won’t open. Where is the third bolt?

And if this is true I feel like a real dummy. None of the other DIY or videos mention a third bolt?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Per this diagram there are three nuts that need to be removed on the engine carrier. If I recall, I removed the two engine mount nuts from the bottom, supported the engine with a jack, lowered the engine so I could move the engine carrier back towards the rear engine bay wall. You have to clear the bottom of the engine mount bolts in order to do this. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=109-00
Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM
rhkwon
Instructor

I will take a look this afternoon for the third nut.

And also remove the engine mount nuts also? I think I now understand the mechanics of why this would be necessary but still not sure why none of the DIY’s don’t mention this.

My car is a C4 manual 1999 btw.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:04 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just spoke with rhkwow. Tried to walk him thru some stuff. Seems like he is doing things correctly. However, there a 5 bolts/nuts that support the carrier. The 2 bottom 13mm nuts (he says 15mm in video), the 1 bottom 10mm bolt and the 2 top 15mm nuts that you can just loosen. Maybe you guys said 3 since the top 2 you don't actually remove.

I think his issue is with jacking up the engine at an angle and the threads are catching on the carrier cause it's twisting. He's giving it a shot later today and making sure the engine goes up straight by making sure he lifts it at the center point of the engine not the center point of the carrier or car. Cause if you notice the engine carrier is not perfectly centered with the car, it's shifted to one side slightly (forget which way). Even in the video the guys lifts the engine and you can see it tilt counter clockwise cause he hasn't center his jack to the engine, he's a little to right (passengers side). This causes the engine to twist and the carrier catches on the bolt threads preventing it being pulled rearward. So you have to sort of get a buddy to stand back a ways and signal the the engine is going up and staying flat. Also lift slowly and pull at many points as you lift, each bolt will lift off the carrier at different stages.

Said he'll give us updates.....

Quick Reply: Help getting water pump out and carrier won't move