996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Stereo Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM
John Mercer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim, that’s really useful info. I’m swapping my whole dash so hopefully will be able to get access but if not it’s good to know I can cut and combine the two ducts as I’d not thought of that!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
You have 2 problems when changing out the duct to allow the mk2 centre stack:

1 - you have to remove the entire dash AND the large centre v bracket along with the brackets on the floor hump to take it out.

2 - the mk2 air duct not only doesn't match up with the center vent duct, but also the passenger side ducting.

Trust me, I know. We just finished swapping out our mk1 dash for a mk1 dash with glovebox.

To get ot to work on our car we had to xur the tops off the old and new centre ducts and switched them.
Cutting the 996.2 vent to mate to the 996.1 duct it is then LOL

Im more worried about mounting the internal metal frame into the 996.2 plastic frame. From what I've read in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...rofit-diy.html Theres extra space that needs to be taken up. Further down in that thread the author mentions using felt tape or similar to prevent any rattles " as they install rather freely"

We'll see what comes of this install lol
Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a mk1 car And I switched the dash I have with that of a mk2 car. I can't speak about this fellow's experience, but I can tell you that in my conversion everything is tight and snug.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:04 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip

I just removed the speakers and re-installed the grills (dash only - the rest has been stripped). I took a piece of acrylic and made a blanking plate / switch plate for the horn button and the radiator overrides. If I need tunes (for some reason) I have a small bluetooth speaker.

Wow, this looks like something out of a 60s James Bond movie. Do any of those switches dump oil out the rear? Ejection seat?

Quick Reply: Stereo Delete