Sponsored by:

separating eng/trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Damn, out in 30 minutes. Never in my wildest dream. It takes me that long to get the wheels off, bottom liners out of the car.
It takes me 30 mins to just talk about what I’m going to do before I do it, lol.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
It takes me 30 mins to just talk about what I’m going to do before I do it, lol.
I talk to myself all the time and it does not keep me from taking wheels off. You can do this multitask thing.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Damn, out in 30 minutes. Never in my wildest dream. It takes me that long to get the wheels off, bottom liners out of the car.
It's what happens when you do it for a living, It's called living on "flat rate". You learn to keep moving and make every motion count. If you don't learn, you could starve to death..lol

Just like taking the wheels off, that is time wasted if R&R a trans, unless you are bad about bumping your head !!!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
It's what happens when you do it for a living, It's called living on "flat rate". You learn to keep moving and make every motion count. If you don't learn, you could starve to death..lol
That's why I keep my most commonly used tools in a specific spot on my rolling cart.
They stay there unless I have them in my hand.
If I don't use the tool often, it stays in the toolbox.
My toolbox is very organized.
I never really have to search for a tool
I keep an inventory of every tool, so I know when I've lost one.(which VERY rarely happens)

I also marked every 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm socket & wrench with yellow paint/tape.
I chose those decades ago and there's no way I'd choose a different color or size now.(even though I've considered it)
I have multiple wrench types(combination, stubby, flare, ratcheting, thin, specialty, E-Torx) and socket types(impact, chrome, hex, torx, e-torx, triple square) & depths.
They are all marked that way. (Yellow means 10mm, 13mm, 17mm)
Count up 2 from 17mm and you're grabbing a 19mm.
With them in the holder, I can quickly grab any size without really looking.

I have two toolboxes, one that I work out of and no one else is allowed to get a tool from, and a second that anybody can borrow from.
I have two of almost every hand tool needed for automotive work.
I have some multiples of specialty tools.

Flat rate means you learn how to minimize Non Productive Time.(NPT)
Even though I no longer work flat-rate, I still work like I am.
(Actually I do work flat-rate, everything I do is done for free now.)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
That's why I keep my most commonly used tools in a specific spot on my rolling cart.
They stay there unless I have them in my hand.
If I don't use the tool often, it stays in the toolbox.
My toolbox is very organized.
I never really have to search for a tool
I keep an inventory of every tool, so I know when I've lost one.(which VERY rarely happens)

I also marked every 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm socket & wrench with yellow paint/tape.
I chose those decades ago and there's no way I'd choose a different color or size now.(even though I've considered it)
I have multiple wrench types(combination, stubby, flare, ratcheting, thin, specialty, E-Torx) and socket types(impact, chrome, hex, torx, e-torx, triple square) & depths.
They are all marked that way. (Yellow means 10mm, 13mm, 17mm)
Count up 2 from 17mm and you're grabbing a 19mm.
With them in the holder, I can quickly grab any size without really looking.

I have two toolboxes, one that I work out of and no one else is allowed to get a tool from, and a second that anybody can borrow from.
I have two of almost every hand tool needed for automotive work.
I have some multiples of specialty tools.

Flat rate means you learn how to minimize Non Productive Time.(NPT)
Even though I no longer work flat-rate, I still work like I am.
(Actually I do work flat-rate, everything I do is done for free now.)
Most people don't realize the effort it takes to organize your tool box for maximum efficiency and to stay ahead of the robots !! lol

I don't think I'll ever see the day a robot will do a clutch/flywheel, RMS, IMS job on a 996.. LMAO They can do marvelous work at assembly/repetitious processes, but are still useless in repair/complex R&R processes..

Quick Reply: separating eng/trans