Sponsored by:

What would replace your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32

Nothing will replace the 996 until I can no longer get in and out of it! However, I did add a new toy this year...2019 Honda Civic Type R. Yeah I know...Racer Bouy wing and all, but damn this thing is QUICK! 306 turbo horsepower and 295 ft/#'s of torque that hits way low on the RPM scale. It is fun.
That car would make my list as well. FWD, who cares. I had a supercharged Mini Cooper S and it was a blast.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:25 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

997.2 4S coupe with PDK or Cayman S
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I would consider replacing my 996 with a FR-S/BRZ/86 Forced Induction for about the same price as a 996. Handles like a dream, my kids can go in back, I can track it.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:06 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Alansglide
I owned a Lotus Esprit Turbo for 5 and half years. Fun car although not the most comfortable for anything over 2 hours or so. Mine was a 93.5 with the four banger, turbo and charge cooler. Zero to 60 was 4.7 and for the v8 version 4.3. After doing numerous runs with other Esprit guys we all noted one thing in particular. The extra weight of the V8 destroyed the handling of the Esprit. Doing runs with multiple V8's and fours the V8's just couldn't keep up.
I drove a friends V8 and it was not love or even like at first drive
Great info Alan. How was the reliability of the 4 cylinder version and do you know what the weight difference is between the 4 and the V8? It always surprised me that the same company that could wring 300hp out of a 2.2 liter could only get 350 hp out of a twin-turbo V8 (although to be fair it was only 3.5 liters, which is pretty small for a V8).
Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

The four cylinder was a solid reliable engine as was the Garret turbo. The injectors , fuel hoses , brakes etc not so much. While the four banger didn't have a problem with the tranny the V8 would tear it up with too many quick launches. There is a fix for that but it wasn't a cheap fix.

From memory I think the weight difference was about 200 pounds which in a light car like the Esprit was major.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:03 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Alansglide
From memory I think the weight difference was about 200 pounds which in a light car like the Esprit was major.
I feel the same way about variations of weights of 996 options affecting driving feel. The base weight of a C2/6-speed/coupe 996.1 is 2900 lbs, around the same ball park as the Esprit.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:09 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm losing my storage so I'm going to be selling the 996 and my 1980 SC. My daily driver is a Volvo wagon with the T6. It's been a great car but after the Porsche's are gone I'll replace that too. I've got to get down to one car so this thread is very timely. I drive a lot, about 30,000 miles per year. I'd like something fast with good handling and decent size for golf clubs, bags, etc. A Panamera would be ideal except for it's size. I have a tight two car garage. The Panamera is just so wide. I'm worried about having to be so precise every time I pull in. On the other hand, parking sensors help a lot. Anyway I test drove a used Panamera Turbo - WOW!!!!! Handling, power, fit, finish - it's got it all and the looks only a mother could love. I'm going to test drive some Bimmers too. We'll see.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Hmm, one car, smallish garage, has to cover all bases (including golf clubs) and all seasons and still be engaging to drive - I’d check out the Audi S4. I’ve owned three and they kept getting better every generation.

Edit - I assume winter driving in snow/ice, but if I didn’t get that weather, the BMW M3 would also be on my short list if I had to get down to only one vehicle.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Wildbilly
I was struggling getting in and out myself. (6 knee surgeries)
So that was my justification for installing a Techart flat bottom GT3 steering wheel.
Much easier now
Nicely played!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:01 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
I'm losing my storage so I'm going to be selling the 996 and my 1980 SC. My daily driver is a Volvo wagon with the T6. It's been a great car but after the Porsche's are gone I'll replace that too. I've got to get down to one car so this thread is very timely. I drive a lot, about 30,000 miles per year. I'd like something fast with good handling and decent size for golf clubs, bags, etc. A Panamera would be ideal except for it's size. I have a tight two car garage. The Panamera is just so wide. I'm worried about having to be so precise every time I pull in. On the other hand, parking sensors help a lot. Anyway I test drove a used Panamera Turbo - WOW!!!!! Handling, power, fit, finish - it's got it all and the looks only a mother could love. I'm going to test drive some Bimmers too. We'll see.
VW GTi, or Subaru STI would be my choice if I were in your situation.
BMWs are very fun cars, but not the newer models(2007+) are not the most reliable.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:08 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I would consider replacing my 996 with a FR-S/BRZ/86 Forced Induction for about the same price as a 996. Handles like a dream, my kids can go in back, I can track it.
Unless your kids are well under 2 years old, they're not going to be comfortable in the back seat of a twin!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:32 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Hmm, one car, smallish garage, has to cover all bases (including golf clubs) and all seasons and still be engaging to drive - I’d check out the Audi S4. I’ve owned three and they kept getting better every generation.

Edit - I assume winter driving in snow/ice, but if I didn’t get that weather, the BMW M3 would also be on my short list if I had to get down to only one vehicle.
The person who sold me my 996 replaced it with an S4. He took me for a ride in it. It was quick and felt comfortable. They are expensive new, in my opinion. He bought his off-lease.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My son in-law has an A3 S-Line. A real hoot to drive though a little small. I’d imagine the S4 would be larger and the magazines always love them.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I fit like a glove in the Toyo-baru twins. Forced induction with some suspension tweaks and that car would be a riot!!!

Originally Posted by montauk
I wish Subaru kept a hatchback/wagon STI in production. I like quick, compact, and useful cars and a tuned up STI would make a great daily driver/ all weather ride. An eventual engine rebuild would fix any OEM shortcomings (sound familiar?) but provide years of fun!

Out of the box, the Civic Type R sounds like the car for you. or a JCW Countryman? Golf R?

One car would be tough
Old 04-07-2019, 10:10 AM
ajgordin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My top contenders budget wise within the next several years that I think would be fun to own for a variety of reasons (styling, exhaust note, etc):
-Top of the list for practical purposes would probably be a 997.2 C4S. I’m a sucker for a wide body 911.
-Aston V8 Vantage (with the 4.7L motor, incredible sound and beautiful exterior)
-Ford GT350 (I love the looks and that flat plane crank v8)
-Lotus esprit (childhood dream car)
-Jaguar f-type s or r

If I had extra room in the budget, I would love to have a 911 GTS or a GT4.

I’ve only ever had German cars but will most likely try a mustang or something British at some point in my life. More realistically though, the 911 will be given up when my family grows and I need a back seat. I will almost surely end up with a Macan S next.

Quick Reply: What would replace your 996?