Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Flat6 Innovations Bore scoring video Pt 3B

"The Symptoms..."
Old 03-30-2019, 12:16 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

As education as this video is, I had really hoped we'd be at the scoping part of the series by now. I'm at six months and due for an oil change.
The ticking in this video now has me concerned as I thought they all sounded like this...
Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
As education as this video is, I had really hoped we'd be at the scoping part of the series by now. I'm at six months and due for an oil change.
The ticking in this video now has me concerned as I thought they all sounded like this...
Refer t this thread :
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ing-sound.html

Not saying that the ticking/knocking sound is not as a result of bore scoring, but there are exceptions as in my case. And I verified it with a stethoscope.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 03-30-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:29 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Very educational, thanks. However, the exact cause of this is still quite elusive.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:23 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

In one of the previous videos, I think it was mentioned that part 3 would have “prevention” . I think that will be very informative information.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:24 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Very educational, thanks. However, the exact cause of this is still quite elusive.
I think Jake Raby does a great job explaining the cause in Part 2 of the bore scoring video series called "What causes Bore Scoring".

Old 03-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

When I️ was a little kid the only movie that ever frightened me was Poltergeist. I️ get the same feeling watching Jake’s videos. I️ appreciate them, but they terrify me.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
In one of the previous videos, I think it was mentioned that part 3 would have “prevention” . I think that will be very informative information.
Jake describes the "Symptoms of Bore Scoring" in part 3A-B. I'm pretty sure he'll discuss how to deal with a car that may be experiencing the early onset of scoring. I think he mentioned it on one of the threads on the 997 forum. I'm not 100% sure. But I don't remember him saying that it would take 6 - 7 parts to explain all aspects of the problem adequately.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

He also mention a "liquid silver bullet" to slow the process in another forum if I recall.

Thanks Henry!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:03 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Jake's videos are very informative but i must admit also a little scary as in almost every engine sceinario the engine will require a rebuild. Just keep in mind as we all know that such failures are quite low and in general these engines are robust.

Living in downtown Toronto , I see many m96 and m97 cars / engines in service all year around being driven by lets say from initial driver glance non Porsche enthusiasts and being treated like regular daily drivers.

Two in particular are driven by close neighbours one a mid 60's gal and the other by an approx 75yr old guy and both cars are left out year round in the drive and i see them pulling out in -15 weather with no special treatment and both don't smoke , no soot at a glance from the pipes and I know both from the look of them are high milage cars and no issues ... This gives me confidence that mine will be just fine providing i drive it and simply enjoy it.

It's like cancer ... You worry about it too much and try to prevent it you end up getting and aneurism and croaking anyway , Live free i say and break the chains of Worry !! What will be will be ....
Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,820 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Funny observations. True. I want to maintain my car and drive my car as best I can to promote both longevity and enjoy-ability. But I don't want to worry myself sick in the process (if not too late already).

I often think: "yes, that engine needs x work, but so what? How long can it be driven like that?" Just this week I was behind a Lexus GS300 that was blowing oil-filled smoke. A lot. It smelled. But the car was still going, driving perhaps oblivious to it, and enjoying his nice old Lexus. Granted, smoking and burning oil is not the same as an IMS or similar terminal, catastrophic failure, but is bore-scoring something that absolutely requires a rebuild the moment it's detected, or can one continue to drive a car 2,000 miles per year for many years that way? (Like many on this forum likely do most likely.)

In the interim, I'll continue to watch the videos, to only drive my car when I can drive for at least 20 minutes to get it fully warmed up. And I'll painfully, continue to change my oil every 6 months even if only driven 200 miles, as Jake put it. However wasteful that seems in terms of money and environment.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:15 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Jake's videos are very informative but i must admit also a little scary as in almost every engine sceinario the engine will require a rebuild. Just keep in mind as we all know that such failures are quite low and in general these engines are robust.

Living in downtown Toronto , I see many m96 and m97 cars / engines in service all year around being driven by lets say from initial driver glance non Porsche enthusiasts and being treated like regular daily drivers.

Two in particular are driven by close neighbours one a mid 60's gal and the other by an approx 75yr old guy and both cars are left out year round in the drive and i see them pulling out in -15 weather with no special treatment and both don't smoke , no soot at a glance from the pipes and I know both from the look of them are high milage cars and no issues ... This gives me confidence that mine will be just fine providing i drive it and simply enjoy it.

It's like cancer ... You worry about it too much and try to prevent it you end up getting and aneurism and croaking anyway , Live free i say and break the chains of Worry !! What will be will be ....
I am in Toronto too, west end Etobicoke. I work at Winston Churchill/Lakeshore. I see a 997.1 almost daily driven in all kinds of winter weather. Yet, I am on these forums trying to figure out the best way to schedule a minimum 20 minute drive, above 10 degrees Celsius. My car was bore scoped as part of ppi in October. I have done the Solution, water pump too. When I watch these videos, I keep wondering what is best way to prevent? What is so magical about JGR DT40 when compared to the Castrol Edge 5w40 I got at Costco for $30? Common sense tells me it is all black magic. My heart tells me if I don’t do it and it fails, I will be full of regret. Argh.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
He also mention a "liquid silver bullet" to slow the process in another forum if I recall.

Thanks Henry!
Any recollection of this and where is this information?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The videos are great informational and generally correct overview of the bore score issue, but there is one technical mistake in the video as far as piston coating. At about 1:45 to about 3:36 it mentions m96.03 and m96.05 ( 02 and up 3.6 engines) having Ferrostan (iron/tin) coatings, and references the coating to the other previous videos.

According to Porsche all 02 and up engines use Grafal ( Graphite/resin base) coatings. Ferrostan (iron/tin base) coatings were outlawed by EPA due to hazardous by-products of the Ferrostan Process.

May be just a technical error by FSI or could be that the Porsche Tech information is wrong/inconsistant with actual production, I have not verified any of either information.

Ferostan ( iron/tin base) m96 up to 2002

Grafal (graphite/resin base) 2002 and up m96

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-31-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The videos are great informational and generally correct overview of the bore score issue, but there is one technical mistake in the video as far as piston coating. At about 1:45 to about 3:36 it mentions m96.03 and m96.05 ( 02 and up 3.6 engines) having Ferrostan (iron/tin) coatings, and references the coating to the other previous videos.

According to Porsche all 02 and up engines use Grafal ( Graphite/resin base) coatings. Ferrostan (iron/tin base) coatings were outlawed by EPA due to hazardous by-products of the Ferrostan Process.

May be just a technical error by FSI or could be that the Porsche Tech information is wrong/inconsistant with actual production, I have not verified any of either information.

Ferostan ( iron/tin base) m96 up to 2002

Grafal (graphite/resin base) 2002 and up m96
Fact:
When the coating fails, and flakes off the piston it’s always ferrous. I’ve yet to see a graphal coating that was ferrous.

looks like it’s time to start charging for these videos.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Fact:
When the coating fails, and flakes off the piston it’s always ferrous. I’ve yet to see a graphal coating that was ferrous.

looks like it’s time to start charging for these videos.
So, you're saying that Porsche did not change to the Grafal coating on the pistons, but stayed with the Ferrostan coating instead? So you have never seen the Grafal coating on the pistons?

Just trying to clarify .

Quick Reply: Flat6 Innovations Bore scoring video Pt 3B