Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a Guards LSD on a c4s? If so, noticable difference in handling?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:52 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a Guards LSD on a c4s? If so, noticable difference in handling?

obviously, this would be primarily directed for the track since doing an LSD on the street is pretty pointless with the 911. In the past 15 years, I've never really needed an LSD (other than not having actually driven a LSD'd 911 on track).

So, now that i'm doing a 4.0l install, the question arises whether I should consider 1. A lightweight flywheel as the rotating engine assemblies will be balanced and 2. Would an LSD really make that much of a difference.

Looking forward to getting my 911 back on the road after a 2 year hiatus and a proportional amount of dust covering the car in the garage.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No exactly apples to apples but I recently eliminated a "clunk" (felt lake a bad U joint) coming from the diff by installing a WaveTrac unit, I haven't had it on the track yet but even in spirited driving there's a noticeable improvement. A LSD/TBD would complement your build very well.
As for the LWFW my only experience was in a 2.0 Turbo talon with moderate motor work, for stop and go driving it required a lot of bliping the accelerator to maintain RPM's to get rolling.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:56 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

EVERY 911 needs a LSD.
The following users liked this post:
LucasNo993t (03-24-2023)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Corner exit on track is much improved with the LSD in a C2. Not sure how the front diff would affect things. If you have PSM turn it off.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

The front diff on your car isn't really doing anything anyways, except giving it a better F to R weight balance.

I have a C4S with nearly identical mods to your, I can't wait to get an LSD; I hate how the power is cut every time there is uneven pavement.

Would you mind telling me more about your sunroof delete? What was involved from a parts sourcing standpoint? How much did it cost you, how are the results, did you get a new GT3 liner? Is it a factory roof or CF? I hate my sunroof so much, and would LOVE to get rid of 40 lbs way up high AND lose the rattles.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 02:49 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

I never had an issue with cutting power (I always have had PSM off).

The sunroof delete on my car is factory as I ordered the car that way. While you can get the steel panel itself easy enough, the hard part will be the headliner and the rib structure underneath to acquire.

Originally Posted by orangeman
The front diff on your car isn't really doing anything anyways, except giving it a better F to R weight balance.

I have a C4S with nearly identical mods to your, I can't wait to get an LSD; I hate how the power is cut every time there is uneven pavement.

Would you mind telling me more about your sunroof delete? What was involved from a parts sourcing standpoint? How much did it cost you, how are the results, did you get a new GT3 liner? Is it a factory roof or CF? I hate my sunroof so much, and would LOVE to get rid of 40 lbs way up high AND lose the rattles.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

So you are the original owner? Awesome!
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (08-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:27 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black
Corner exit on track is much improved with the LSD in a C2. Not sure how the front diff would affect things. If you have PSM turn it off.
The awd inhibits fun in sprited canyon driving in my turbo as it limits the ability to kick the tail out, but the way it claws it’s way out of 2nd gear corners at the track is awesome. Even if all four wheels have broken loose, you you don’t get the rear end wanting to come around the way you would in a rwd car. As noted above, you’ve got to have the psm off otherwise it will just cut power.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

If you do the LWFW, be sure to get it balanced along with the rest of the rotating mass.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
If you do the LWFW, be sure to get it balanced along with the rest of the rotating mass.
yup. tha'ts the intention and hence all of these questions. I'm not sure on the LWFW but all of the rotating mass will be balanced as that's part of the work involved.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

This one is a bit confusing. Assuming the PSM is off, if one of the rear wheels start spinning, the aggregate rotation of the combined rear wheels will be greater than the aggregate rotation of the front wheels, and the VC will immediately transfer power to both of the front wheels. So there will be 3 wheels with power applied. The VC is kinda like an LSD operating between front and rear wheels, like an LSD operates between 2 rear wheels. I can't see that an LSD will help much for tracking, except perhaps in very extreme conditions, perhaps if there was lot of gravel or water on the track. . Certainly would be useful for off-roading or a icy road, a Safari build C4S would benefit from an LSD.

To the other point, of course the system prevents kicking the tail out, that is the whole point of the C4S AWD. It may be more fun, but I've never heard that kicking the tail out is faster than applying power to all 4 wheels. After all, Porsche put AWD on every 996 Turbo, because it is more stable and faster.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Nein_11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m getting a gt3 club installed in my 99 c2 next week and I can’t wait. In my research I came across many glowing reviews for rwd cars but didn’t see many reviews for c4s. That being said, do a google search, read through the results and you will be sold.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend a wavetrac over a guard unless you get the guard unit for a very good price. Wavetrac is much more affordable and has all the positives of a clutch style and torsen style lsd with the downsides of neither. Only thing is recomend a guard for over a wavetrac is if it a 100% road course car
Old 04-06-2019, 09:41 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
This one is a bit confusing. Assuming the PSM is off, if one of the rear wheels start spinning, the aggregate rotation of the combined rear wheels will be greater than the aggregate rotation of the front wheels, and the VC will immediately transfer power to both of the front wheels. So there will be 3 wheels with power applied. The VC is kinda like an LSD operating between front and rear wheels, like an LSD operates between 2 rear wheels. I can't see that an LSD will help much for tracking, except perhaps in very extreme conditions, perhaps if there was lot of gravel or water on the track. . Certainly would be useful for off-roading or a icy road, a Safari build C4S would benefit from an LSD.

To the other point, of course the system prevents kicking the tail out, that is the whole point of the C4S AWD. It may be more fun, but I've never heard that kicking the tail out is faster than applying power to all 4 wheels. After all, Porsche put AWD on every 996 Turbo, because it is more stable and faster.
yes, i'm trying to understand if there would be benefit. I can certainly feel the power transfer to the front wheels on corner exit. Hence my question. I realize the benefit on the rwd c2/gt car, but not too much info to be a solid confirm on the awd car. That said, I had an S4 which is a torsen diff car and it would benefit from a more agressive center and rear diff setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Guards LSD on a c4s? If so, noticable difference in handling?