a call out to GHL owners, need some feedback on the LOUD setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a call out to GHL owners, need some feedback on the LOUD setup

i recently purchased a set of GHLs and was surprised to hear that it wasn't all that loud. i talked to brian at GHL and he said there is a LOUD version offered and mentioned a few rennlisters opted for the LOUD version. to those who have it, is there alot of drone in the cabin? at what rpms and, in your opinion, is it intrusive? how much louder is it than the regular "patented no resonance" version?

the GHLs sound really nice but i have to open the window to hear more of it. i don't think i would have a problem if i had a cab.

thx
carlos
Old 02-09-2004, 06:26 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i think there's a fine line between loud and obnoxious, i'd see if they can reverse the mod if you don't like it. i have the standard ghl mufflers and i think they're perfect. if you want more 'sound' try the niagara 'orange cap' on the intake. it really rounds out the whole 'effect'.

good luck.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:46 PM
acciardi
Intermediate

I also have the standard GHLs (didn't know there was a "loud") and I think the sound is just right. Anything more would be offensive. It has a nice snarl when you blip the throttle. and as the load/RPMs increase, it is deeper and bass-ier than stock.

Ed
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

brian told me that they don't advertise the loud system because they can't claim "no resonance". he said basically it is a straight thru muffler with less sound deadening material.

i may be adding a fabspeed cold air kit tonight/soon in the hopes that it will lessen the sewing machine whine.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 PM
JakeMate
Racer

I didn't know there was a 'loud' version either. I too, think the sound is just about right but obviously its subjective. Remember that inside sound and outside sound are two different things. The sound insulation in the 996 really muffles the sound. I've heard other people's GHL's from the outside and they sound pissed.

fahren affair is right about modifying the intake. I bypass the resonator box and I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 AM
silver996
Instructor

I agree, you have to open the windows to appreciate the loudness. With the windows up, it sounds pretty much like stock under moderate acceleration. They're pretty damn loud though, trust me. You'll get a pretty good idea if you lower the windows and step on it in a narrow street, or winding up canyon roads
Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's exactly what i do. i have to open or at least crack the window open to appreciate the exhaust. kinda hard when raining or cold out. i even crack the sunroof too. too bad the fixed rear side window doesn't lower.

Quick Reply: a call out to GHL owners, need some feedback on the LOUD setup