996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Raceworks coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Got the passenger front on. Same procedure as the drivers. Had to disconnect one of the brake sensor connections to the point held with the 10mm, not hard tho.

There's plus (left) and minus (right) symbols on the rebound adjustment. Anyone know which way is soft? They come fully turned to the plus side. I turned them 5 clicks to the right.

Can definitely feel the spring rate increase over stock. Feels great on regular and mildly bumpy pavement and makes you want to really slow down for any big bumps.

I had a shimmy going over bumps since my RF shock blew. It is no more.

Corners are way more fun. With blown fronts I was always second guessing the car and wondering if I would understeer or not. I still get some understeer but the feedback is much more consistent making it predictable.

This is all just a 30min drive impression and only with the fronts swapped.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:55 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenApples
Got the passenger front on. Same procedure as the drivers. Had to disconnect one of the brake sensor connections to the point held with the 10mm, not hard tho.

There's plus (left) and minus (right) symbols on the rebound adjustment. Anyone know which way is soft? They come fully turned to the plus side. I turned them 5 clicks to the right.

Can definitely feel the spring rate increase over stock. Feels great on regular and mildly bumpy pavement and makes you want to really slow down for any big bumps.

I had a shimmy going over bumps since my RF shock blew. It is no more.

Corners are way more fun. With blown fronts I was always second guessing the car and wondering if I would understeer or not. I still get some understeer but the feedback is much more consistent making it predictable.

This is all just a 30min drive impression and only with the fronts swapped.
Good to hear! Quick question for you, did you have any issues with the wheel hitting the wheel well? When I ordered the coils I forgot I use 285-35R18 instead of the standard 285-30R18, was wondering if you think It’s going to be an issue.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:18 PM
FrozenApples
Instructor

At max setting I'm only down 1/4in. Plus the higher rate should reduce the compression distance under normal conditions. So if you're not rubbing with a stock setup then I'd guess it'll be ok.

Take a pic of the gap measurement like I did for comparison.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Will do thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:14 PM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Figured out the plus and minus. There are 32 clicks. Turned it all the way minus (clockwise) and it was very under damped. Feels worse than a blown stock suspension. Likely because of the higher spring rates. Turned it back up to mid (16 clicks) and feels pretty normal. I think a bit firmer will suit me well.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear! I'm glad you got the fronts installed and thank you for your initial driving impressions!
I'd be interested to see pictures of your ride height and where your coilovers are set to.

I removed my front and rear struts/springs. I'm ready for the coilovers to arrive and get installed.

Mike
Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

consider a corner balance with the coilovers after things settle in. It makes a difference, especially if you track.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Here's a pic of the ride height in the front. I have them set at max height.

Also, found another issue while poking around waiting for my new top plates. One of the rears is missing a bump stop. Getting a little concerned about their Taiwan manufacturers QC processes.

I don't track, but would love to do a corner balance just to see if I feel the impact. Might rig something up later this year to DIY if I'm feeling bored.
Attached Images   

Last edited by FrozenApples; 05-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

One too many issues if you ask me. I hope this all works out for you.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenApples
Here's a pic of the ride height in the front.

Also, found another issue while poking around waiting for my new top plates. One of the rears is missing a bump stop. Getting a little concerned about their Taiwan manufacturers QC processes.
Thanks for the pic regarding ride height. I'll probably want to be a little lower.

That's definitely concerning regarding the bump stop...not something I wanted to hear.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Me too, lol

Mike
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM
FrozenApples
Instructor

I would normally tend to agree, but neither of this issues are highlighting a big quality concern. They're both mix ups that can be easily remedied. And Raceworks has been very responsive on both - like <2hr response time any time of the day.

Fronts ride great with just an initial setup and the build quality is definitely high. Time will tell on the robustness, but a 3 year warranty makes me think Raceworks is willing to stand behind these. Most others in this price range are just 1 year.

For me personally, I just wanted to get something on to replace the worn out stock suspension. Even just stock shock replacements was getting close or exceeding the price of these and that's reusing the springs/bumps/top plates. With these being rebuildable, I don't plan on having to get a new suspension setup for a very very long time.

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
Thanks for the pic regarding ride height. I'll probably want to be a little lower.

That's definitely concerning regarding the bump stop...not something I wanted to hear.

Mike
Yeah I'm at max. They say up to a 1.5in drop which would pretty much eliminate any gap as I show in my measurements above. I might take it down a touch, but I have no interest in a slammed ride.

They're tossing the bump stop in with the correct top plates, so no extra delay. Will update as soon as I get them.

Last edited by FrozenApples; 05-08-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:30 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Hopefully this is a isolated case. However I do agree that their customer service has been good. I asked them about an issue with clearance due to my rear tire size, and they offered a potential solution for me if I have any issues.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

If all goes well with everyone else, I hope to get a set this summer. I'm feeling the rear getting worse...
Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Good luck with these!

When you get frustrated, can't go wrong with Bilstein...
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

One too many issues if you ask me.
This is my sentiments exactly. I'm currently in the market for a set of coilovers and was interested when this thread came along. I'll continue to pay attention as the progress continues but I'm not very impressed.

Quick Reply: Raceworks coilovers?