996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transmission out - what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Transmission out - what to replace?

Hi,
My car is a 1999 C2 6spd Cab with 100k miles.
I have my transmission out, while it is out I figured I will address some other things:

- Clutch. Works but maybe get a new one (was replaced 40k ago by PO)
- IMS (currently have the LN, might be due for a new one or solution)
- RMS (I suspect there is a leak from this, has been replaced by PO. Is this a service item?)

Is there anything else that is easy to replace while the tranny is out? Throwout bearing?

I should replace my timing chain pads but I assume that requires dropping the engine.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Slow down tiger! Instead of replacing everything, how about first inspect and measure before considering changing anything? Measure and inspect the clutch. If all looks normal, leave it alone. This goes for the intermediate shaft bearing too. It's a hybrid double row so it should last forever. As for the rear main seal, if it sin't leaking, leave it alone.
Why did you pull the transmission anyways?
The following users liked this post:
jim gee (11-20-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:03 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

A lot depends on whether you like working on your car including dropping the transmission, and I guess your financial situation. If this is easy/fun for you to do this work, or you don’t mind paying someone to do it for you, then you can postone it. Otherwise, this is an ideal time to do this work since you are in there and everything is accessible. To get back to this area, you’ll need to pull it all apart again. For some of us that kind of work isn’t a big deal, others it is a huge deal.

If you want to do stuff “while you are in there”:

If your IMS bearing is near it’s service interval, then replace it while you are in there.

If your rear main seal is leaking, replace it with the most recent version.

If the clutch (or any clutch components) are going to need service, now is the time to do it.

Depending on the condition of the flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, transmission input seal, pivot, clip, arm, etc, you can replace the pieces that need it.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Slow down tiger! Instead of replacing everything, how about first inspect and measure before considering changing anything? Measure and inspect the clutch. If all looks normal, leave it alone. This goes for the intermediate shaft bearing too. It's a hybrid double row so it should last forever. As for the rear main seal, if it sin't leaking, leave it alone.
Why did you pull the transmission anyways?
Good point with the clutch, I will only replace if worn. However it doesn't feel perfect.

Regarding the IMS, why do you say it lasts forever? LN recommends replacing them every 5year/50k miles. (And if the PO didn't install the LN bearing then I have OEM)

As for the RMS, if this is a service item I might as well do it know? The RMS have been replaced once, is the replacement a life time item?

I had an annoying drive train issue. I have checked wheel bearings, CV joints, diff etc. I now suspect the pinion bearings, when rotating the "output shaft" there is a little bit of noise. I also ran the car with the diff out and it feels like it sounded like the drivetrain noise I heard earlier.
ill open up the transmission to have a look.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM
cds72911
Drifting

The RMS is not a lifetime item. It is an inexpensive part, and is easy to replace. The part itself has been superceeded (and improved) several times. If it *is* leaking, it is a no brainer to replace it.

The LN bearings DO have a service interval, and it is wise to replace it while you have it apart, IMO.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

RMS is cheap, put in a new one.

AOS can be easier to swap from the rear

Perhaps oil cooler oil rings, easier to get to from the rear

Clutch disc, throwout bearing. Clean and lube spline etc
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM
cds72911
Drifting

I’ll plug it for him: Chris (MA) above has a 3D printed RMS tool that is inexpensive and works great. I’d recommend it without hesitation.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by cds72911
The RMS is not a lifetime item. It is an inexpensive part, and is easy to replace. The part itself has been superceeded (and improved) several times. If it *is* leaking, it is a no brainer to replace it.

The LN bearings DO have a service interval, and it is wise to replace it while you have it apart, IMO.
I consider the dual row hybrid LN bearing to be a lifetime part. The OE bearings had a very low failure rate and were pretty robust. Even the experts admitted that the problem wasn't really the dual row but the single row bearings. If this has been replaced with a much stronger hybrid unit and is from LN (a reputable company) then I wouldn't bother worrying about it ever again. Years ago people demanded a service interval for all the LN bearings so the way I see it, an interval was set to satisfy the crowds. This is also good for business too.

If the clutch feels weird, take the clutch set to a transmission shop and have them inspect the dual mass flywheel and the pressure place. The rear main seal is cheap but that doesn't mena you need to replace it. If it doesn't show any sign of leak then leave it alone.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I consider the dual row hybrid LN bearing to be a lifetime part. The OE bearings had a very low failure rate and were pretty robust. Even the experts admitted that the problem wasn't really the dual row but the single row bearings. If this has been replaced with a much stronger hybrid unit and is from LN (a reputable company) then I wouldn't bother worrying about it ever again. Years ago people demanded a service interval for all the LN bearings so the way I see it, an interval was set to satisfy the crowds. This is also good for business too.

If the clutch feels weird, take the clutch set to a transmission shop and have them inspect the dual mass flywheel and the pressure place. The rear main seal is cheap but that doesn't mena you need to replace it. If it doesn't show any sign of leak then leave it alone.
I tend to agree with you with a couple of notes... if the IMS run out is bad on the motor, it will seriously impact the life of any IMS bearing. The other is moisture, if for whatever reason your IMS bearing is subject to a moist environment then its possible the races in the IMS bearing could be subject to corrosive pitting, which will cause rapid failure.

My original IMS bearing ran for 102k miles and was in good shape, so I'm assuming my IMS run out is good. I also do quick frequent oil changes to keep my oil clean and avoid any condensation issues; so I'm going to chance my LN bearing lasting for the lifetime left on the motor
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"I consider the dual row hybrid LN bearing to be a lifetime part. The OE bearings had a very low failure rate and were pretty robust. Even the experts admitted that the problem wasn't really the dual row but the single row bearings."

Oh you do, eh? And what makes your opinion the be all and end all on IMS Bearings? Perhaps you'd like to quote the "experts" that "admitted" that the dual row bearing wasn't a problem? The bottom line is that all replacement bearings have a service interval of a specified time or mileage except for The Solution which is a permanent replacement. Whether the service interval is based on the desire of LN Engineering to sell more bearings is pure conjecture. According to their research and development the service interval they set, is what they consider to be safe operating parameters for the bearing - FWIW, they don't say anything about having to replace your bearing with one of theirs...This is how misinformation gets started
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome, another thread that is going to turn into an IMS debate.
The following users liked this post:
jim gee (11-20-2021)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by dporto
"I consider the dual row hybrid LN bearing to be a lifetime part. The OE bearings had a very low failure rate and were pretty robust. Even the experts admitted that the problem wasn't really the dual row but the single row bearings."

Oh you do, eh? And what makes your opinion the be all and end all on IMS Bearings? Perhaps you'd like to quote the "experts" that "admitted" that the dual row bearing wasn't a problem? The bottom line is that all replacement bearings have a service interval of a specified time or mileage except for The Solution which is a permanent replacement. Whether the service interval is based on the desire of LN Engineering to sell more bearings is pure conjecture. According to their research and development the service interval they set, is what they consider to be safe operating parameters for the bearing - FWIW, they don't say anything about having to replace your bearing with one of theirs...This is how misinformation gets started
You've cut my quote short by a sentence or two and took it out of context.
The Solution is a bearing too and will wear out over time too but it will probably happen past the life expectancy of the engine. I believe, the dual row LN hybrid bearing will do the same and outlast the life of the engine as well. If you go back far enough with you will see how the replacement interval came to be. At first there really wasn't any or at least that's how I remember.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

The clutch fork and the clutch slave have both been updated to 997 parts so I would recommend changing both of those even if they are currently operating ok. Sometimes we slowly grow callused to the condition of a car and it’s mechanisms and don’t realize how much they’ve actually deteriorated over time. I certainly experienced that this Fall when I changed the clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, flywheel, pressure plate, fork, slave, trans fluid, and clutch fluid. It was a night and day different.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:43 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"You've cut my quote short by a sentence or two and took it out of context."

I was simply addressing the the part of your quote that I found objectionable - I don't see how it was "taken out of context".

"I consider the dual row hybrid LN bearing to be a lifetime part."

^^This certainly doesn't help your argument... (the first sentence I cut short).

"or at least that's how I remember."

^^ I think this is key to your argument ^^ I only entered the 996 world in 2014 so I don't go back to the very beginning of the IMSB retrofits. I know there were early products that had different recommendations (including LNE/FSI products) regarding service life. I'm not even saying your opinion is "wrong", just that it is an opinion and not "fact" which someone just coming to the argument may take it as. This is often the problem with internet forums - opinions turn into facts and get repeated as such.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't done so already I'd recommend replacing the 2nd gear detent while you have the transmission out. Before replacing mine I (very) occasionally missed 2nd gear because the transmission didn't engage fully. The 2nd gear detect upgrade from a company called GBox completely solved the problem. It isn't that expensive and improves the feel getting into 2nd gear slightly. It is apparently possible to replace when the transmission is in the car, but but much easier when it is out.

Quick Reply: Transmission out - what to replace?