Sponsored by:

My wife crashed my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
We all have expiriences which inform our perspectives . In September of 1993 , I was serving with 2PPCLI in the medak pocket region of Croatia .
We were under a UN peacekeeper banner ,UNPROFOR blue berets etc. our mission was to prevent outbreaks of what the media dubbed " ethnic cleansing "

there was a documentary made about the events that happened . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnnhi3RszM

at the 35 minute mark of this film , you'll see that after an intense firefight , we pushed into a village where we thought the civilian population was being eliminated .
we found the bodies of two young girls we believed had been held in a room and subjected to all kinds of horrors before their bodies were burned with gasoline . I was one of those tasked with body recovery . The bones of their legs were still so hot they melted the body bags . We cooled them with bottled water . My fatigues smelled like burnt flesh , gas and plastic for 3 days .

On my second tour , I had qualified as a medic , assigned to assist physicians in a field hospital . We treated 200 women who survived horrific physical and sexual abuse , the youngest was 8 , the oldest 75

so if my speaking out about making jokes about violence against women makes me a snowflake , I'll take that as a compliment

Thanks for sharing this experience, and for your service. Its truly eye opening to be reminded of what humans are capable of.
I'll similarly wear the 'snowflake' moniker with pride.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Geezze LIGHTEN UP guys...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Thank you for your service, Vancouver. What a horrible experience.

Not saying you are doing it, but drawing a connection between crimes against humanity is a far stretch from an internet joke.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well , when I hung up my green shirt , for two years I put on a white one with a saint johns cross on it
one out of every 5 ambulance call outs , was related to a domestic violence incident .

All that happened in my 20's , I'm almost 50 now so , i hope I can be forgiven for my lack of ha ha when it comes to this issue

this is a technical forum .
Ill be sticking to that going forward .

Last edited by Vancouver996; 03-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks, Scott. You just summed up what took me several long paragraphs to write, including some very colorful adjectives. I ultimately chose not to post it. A LOT of people have experienced violent gore and death that still haunts us during idle moments of thought, and of course... the nitemares. Sometimes even a smell can trigger those thoughts, but you don't try to silence the smell. But sharing details here of very personal experiences is refvckingdiculous by any reasonable standard of measure. And to then attempt to leverage those terrible experiences by drawing a parallel where one does not truly exist in an attempt to gain traction in the context of the humor in the original post as a pretext to silence others over a harmless (yup, HARMLESS) joke... is shameful. Don't like the joke? Don't laugh. Triggered by the subject matter? Time for some introspection and self-evaluation. Silencing others because you don't approve of the subject matter isn't going to happen. Ever.
I'm done here.

---------------------
Nope, not done here.

Do you know why you never buy a woman a watch?
There's a clock on the stove, damn it!

Stand by for more outrage by those white knighting for stoves... and timepieces.

okay, now I really am done here. Fini

Old 03-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
Well , when I hung up my green shirt , for two years I put on a white one with a saint johns cross on it
one out of every 5 ambulance call outs , was related to a domestic violence incident .

so , i hope I can be forgiven for my lack of ha ha when it comes to this issue

this is a technical forum .
Ill be sticking to that going forward .

Thank you for your continued service. Domestic violence is a very serious issue. Obviously, I have no solution - intervention and education would be my starting point.
Each of us will take everything we see or read differently. Each person's experiences result in different takes on this same joke.

My take was this was a made-up story by someone that found a photo of a smashed Porsche. At no time did I think that physical harm would be inflicted on any person (female or male). There was nothing there, in my mind, to reach such a conclusion. Allowing one's imagination to run wild and extrapolate to an extreme is, in my view, a strange way to go through life. To take this a step further, and project one's perception onto others is flat out wrong. I'm not pointing at you, Zac. This is just my belief. Those that preach tolerance tend to be very hypocritical. True tolerance would be to realize the joke may have been 'off-color', and move on. You don't have to laugh, and you certainly don't have to like the potential "implication".

Regarding how technical this forum truly is, is debatable. There are plenty of posts with little or no, technical content. Should we flag them and have them removed? Or maybe we could leave it to the reader to decide which to look at and participate in? Personally, I don't mind an occasional non sequitur.
Originally Posted by Flat6Music
Thanks, Scott. You just summed up what took me several long paragraphs to write, including some very colorful adjectives. I ultimately chose not to post it. A LOT of people have experienced gore and death that still haunts us during idle moments of thought, and of course... the nitemares. Sometimes even a smell can trigger those thoughts, but you don't try to silence the smell. But sharing details here of very personal experiences is refvckingdiculous by any reasonable standard of measure. And to draw a parallel where one does not truly exist in an attempt to gain traction in the context of the humor in the original post as a pretext to silence others over a harmless (yup, HARMLESS) joke... is shameful. Don't like the joke? Don't laugh. Triggered by the subject matter? Time for some introspection and self-evaluation. Silencing others because you don't approve of the subject matter isn't going to happen. Ever.
I'm done here.
Sums up my thoughts on this as well.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I've got some good ethnic jokes...To soon?

And FYI, I grew up as a minority and was picked on because of my skin color (white guy in Hawaii) go figure that one out.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:16 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed. You have covered beating women so why not the holocaust, slavery or child molestation next? Your logic (and your #covfefe brothers) seems to be that since no children were actually molested, no harm right?
Comedy is all about the surprise, the reveal of which is what makes it funny (or not). In this case, the surprise is that a woman is about to get beaten. In sum, if this particular prospect is appealing to you then get some help.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

For those of us that have served and seen horrors, sometimes what others see as humor just makes us cringe. Nevertheless I have stopped trying to to explain this to others because there is no way they can appreciate that feeling in our guts. The joke made my lip curl and then all I saw was a terrified woman hiding in bathroom.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:30 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

If you clowns don’t lighten up, I’m going to have to go back to college and get a PhD in social science. My dissertation will use this thread to prove the correlation between middle age, Porsches, political correctness and being a wimp. I won’t be able to feed my family with that degree or dissertation, but I can probably get lots of cred on TV and in the news.

Stop believing all the crap you see in the MSM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
If you clowns don’t lighten up, I’m going to have to go back to college and get a PhD in social science. My dissertation will use this thread to prove the correlation between middle age, Porsches, political correctness and being a wimp. I won’t be able to feed my family with that degree or dissertation, but I can probably get lots of cred on TV and in the news.

Stop believing all the crap you see in the MSM.
I may disagree with the direction taken by Vancouver, but the last thing I’d call my fellow first responder is a “wimp”.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent Jester

I may disagree with the direction taken by Vancouver, but the last thing I’d call my fellow first responder is a “wimp”.
I didn’t name anyone actual or pseudonym.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:35 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

We once had a few people over for dinner, and I mentioned that I didn't care for a specific kind of ethnic food. A couple people got angry and said I was not allowed to say that! Isn't speech protected (except employment laws, libels, laws, etc.)? Are jokes "Speech"?

Let's test it: "I prefer the look of the C4S over the AE." Is this a microaggression against someone, will the car be offended, will this post get deleted?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

This sums up this thread -
Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergray951
Indeed. You have covered beating women so why not the holocaust, slavery or child molestation next? Your logic (and your #covfefe brothers) seems to be that since no children were actually molested, no harm right?
Comedy is all about the surprise, the reveal of which is what makes it funny (or not). In this case, the surprise is that a woman is about to get beaten. In sum, if this particular prospect is appealing to you then get some help.
We get it. You have an objection to the OP joke.

Quick Reply: My wife crashed my Porsche