Sponsored by:

Water/Oil mix in Coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:00 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Russell
Back from vacation and finally an update from the dealer. The car is still at the dealers shop that they use regularly and they are performing a leak down test on the motor. They "weren't sure what gasket was leaking" They should finish the test this afternoon and I'll give the sales manager a call around 3-4 my time to check in. I'm not super familiar with a leak down test, but with Google magic I understand what it does, but will that diagnose a cracked head? I'm guessing they already went through the cheaper fixes like AOS, Oil Cooler, and some others I am not sure about.
^^ There is no "gasket leaking"...^^ These guys (the dealer) are a disaster. Do whatever you have to do, to get your money (or most of it) back and run away. There are plenty of great 996's "out there" - don't get tied to this one. Sorry for piling on, but you've been warned (several times). I hope it works out for you.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Jonathan Russell
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dporto
^^ There is no "gasket leaking"...^^ These guys (the dealer) are a disaster. Do whatever you have to do, to get your money (or most of it) back and run away. There are plenty of great 996's "out there" - don't get tied to this one. Sorry for piling on, but you've been warned (several times). I hope it works out for you.
I totally agree at this point. I have to wait for the shop to diagnose it but I'm not giving them more than this week. I'm already internet shopping for another 996. I'm curious if it's always best to get a low mile car? Can I consider a car with 100k or 147k miles on it?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

I totally agree at this point. I have to wait for the shop to diagnose it but I'm not giving them more than this week. I'm already internet shopping for another 996. I'm curious if it's always best to get a low mile car? Can I consider a car with 100k or 147k miles on it?
It all depends on the service history. Many parts need/should be replaced due to age and not mileage. A thorough PPI is a must!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:55 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious if it's always best to get a low mile car? Can I consider a car with 100k or 147k miles on it?
I bought a 99 this past October with 112k without a PPI and practically no records.

I will say I bought it pretty cheap but was willing to roll the dice. Roughly six months and 2500 miles later I'm still grinning. So it all depends upon your aversion to risk. And a low mileage car isn't a guarantee. Maintenance records are probably more important than low mileage. IMHO.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Dporto is right, the comments they are making are classic, I don't know what I'm doing with a watercooled 996 engine, that engine is seriously poorly and needs coming out of the car and the head needs coming off and pressure testing , I would just walk away , you will spend months not seeing a car you own otherwise!
Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Back from vacation and finally an update from the dealer. The car is still at the dealers shop that they use regularly and they are performing a leak down test on the motor. They "weren't sure what gasket was leaking" They should finish the test this afternoon and I'll give the sales manager a call around 3-4 my time to check in. I'm not super familiar with a leak down test, but with Google magic I understand what it does, but will that diagnose a cracked head? I'm guessing they already went through the cheaper fixes like AOS, Oil Cooler, and some others I am not sure about.

It depends where the crack is. Refer to the posts above. If the crack in your head is the same as what's shown in post 33, the cylinder will hold pressure and "pass" the test since the crack is in not in the combustion chamber.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Jonathan Russell
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed in 2 days.

Originally Posted by sweet victory
It depends where the crack is. Refer to the posts above. If the crack in your head is the same as what's shown in post 33, the cylinder will hold pressure and "pass" the test since the crack is in not in the combustion chamber.
Got an unexpected update just now, the shop fixed the leak and are putting the 911 back together for me to pick up in 2 days. Got no details on what was found or fixed. Still waiting to hear details from the sales manager. I’m praying it’s actually fixed.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Got an unexpected update just now, the shop fixed the leak and are putting the 911 back together for me to pick up in 2 days. Got no details on what was found or fixed. Still waiting to hear details from the sales manager. I’m praying it’s actually fixed.
I think we all need to pray for this to work out for you.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Hope you get the repair in writing and a gurantee that this repair was "the" repair.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I will say this once, RUN!!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

I guess it possible that these guys actually did fix it the right way. This is Oregon after all. We should wait for the details.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,796 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I guess it possible that these guys actually did fix it the right way. This is Oregon after all. We should wait for the details.
I've never been a gambling man, but I would not be able to resist betting that they haven't fixed it..
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Firstly, they didn't "fix" the leak - they temporarily patched something up. Unfortunately, prayers won't fix your engine - they'll just give the dealer enough time to tell you to pound salt...Once again, you've been warned by folks who have experience with these engines, and you continue to bury your head in the sand, pray, and listen to (and believe?) the guys who's only motivation is to get that car back in your hands, and your $$ in theirs...
Old 04-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Firstly, they didn't "fix" the leak - they temporarily patched something up. Unfortunately, prayers won't fix your engine - they'll just give the dealer enough time to tell you to pound salt...Once again, you've been warned by folks who have experience with these engines, and you continue to bury your head in the sand, pray, and listen to (and believe?) the guys who's only motivation is to get that car back in your hands, and your $$ in theirs...
I was literally going to type the same thing then thought, its been said a dozen times, he's not listening. I would want pictures, videos parts receipts etc. Also if they truly believed its fixed they should have no issue giving you say a 2yr/20kmile warranty on this issue.

Quick Reply: Water/Oil mix in Coolant reservoir