Sponsored by:

Headlight Covers for 2004 996.2 C4S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 04:40 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tyeske
Is this a GT2 wing? Mine is fairly low. I'm looking forward to warm weather in MN so I can get out and enjoy it.
I could be wrong, but I believe that is the same OEM wing sold with the GT2. The C4S shares the same wide body and the deck lid assembly is the same and so it's very likely an added option from the factory or bought after the fact. Most of the C4S don't have the rear wing, but there is one other guy here on the forum that has the exact same C4S. I think he lives in Nevada? He hasn't posted in a while. Enjoy that car!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:46 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by parris
I respect all opinions and tastes, but... I am with the thinking of... "if you don't love what you see when you turn to your parking spot... you have just bought the wrong car"

I dont get the point of trying to make the 996 what they are not...
I agree with you. I like the way the 996 was designed headlights and all. I don't want to try to make it look like a 997, 991, or anything else. The only beef I have with Porsche is that when they introduced the new 992, they preceded the introduction by paying homage to the previous models of the 911. They then introduced the 996 with it's "fried egg headlights". Ugh! Can we please let that title die for goodness sakes!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 05:40 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
I respect all opinions and tastes, but... I am with the thinking of... "if you don't love what you see when you turn to your parking spot... you have just bought the wrong car"

I dont get the point of trying to make the 996 what they are not...
The reality is there are very few "perfect" car designs. I have really liked the design elements of all the cars I have owned, and about the only one I had that I thought was perfect was my Lamborghini Miura. And of course what design elements are pleasing is a matter of personal taste. For me one of the design elements that is iconic with the 911 are the circular headlights. All other exterior elements of my 2004 C4S Cab I find very nice (that's why I bought the 04 when I could have bought any of the later models). The only way to know if the headlight covers is an improvement or not (to me) is to see them first hand.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:43 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gil_lucero
The reality is there are very few "perfect" car designs. I have really liked the design elements of all the cars I have owned, and about the only one I had that I thought was perfect was my Lamborghini Miura. And of course what design elements are pleasing is a matter of personal taste. For me one of the design elements that is iconic with the 911 are the circular headlights. All other exterior elements of my 2004 C4S Cab I find very nice (that's why I bought the 04 when I could have bought any of the later models). The only way to know if the headlight covers is an improvement or not (to me) is to see them first hand.
The 991 and 992 have football shaped headlights. Go figure. The 911 only made in the last 20 years that's closer to the so called iconic look of the original is the 997 IMHO. But who really cares... you can't see them from the driver's seat and who are you trying to impress?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 PM
tyeske
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I could be wrong, but I believe that is the same OEM wing sold with the GT2. The C4S shares the same wide body and the deck lid assembly is the same and so it's very likely an added option from the factory or bought after the fact. Most of the C4S don't have the rear wing, but there is one other guy here on the forum that has the exact same C4S. I think he lives in Nevada? He hasn't posted in a while. Enjoy that car!
I looked for about a year to find it. When you're looking for something specific it can take some time. I want a C4S with MT, black interior and a color other than silver. My wife loves the Guards Red, I liked the Seal Grey or Lapis Blue. The red was priced right and only a 10 hour drive away.
I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
The 991 and 992 have football shaped headlights. Go figure. The 911 only made in the last 20 years that's closer to the so called iconic look of the original is the 997 IMHO. But who really cares... you can't see them from the driver's seat and who are you trying to impress?
Yes, Porsche has taken some poetic license with the football shaped headlights of the newer 911s. This makes the look after the headlight covers perfect. I do like the shape of the OEM 996 headlights in general as they remind me of the sportscar racers of the 60s which I loved (Ferrari 330 P3,4, Chaparral 2D, McLaren Mk6, Lola T70, Porsche 904,6,8, Alfa Romeo Tipo 33/2, etc...); the shape just doesn't match with the 911 design esthetic.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Default Preventing headlight washer to operate?

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Since I was asked some questions in PM, I thought I'd also answer them here so others would hear how I attached my headlight covers.

Yes, I had headlight washers to remove.=left
They break easily, but if you know the trick, they are easy to get off without breaking them.
Use a bicycle pump, and pump air through the rubber hose that normally carries water.
They will pop out and then you can grab them and remove the end caps.
If you don't want them anymore, don't throw them away, I'd like them for spares for my second set of headlights.
I used Permatex "The Right Stuff."

[I used almost a can of the stuff because I was paranoid about them coming off.
I just taped them down with blue 3M painter's tape to hold them overnight.
They have been on for over 1 year now, they're not going anywhere.
Is there a fuse you can pull or something else you can do to make sure the headlight washer no longer pushes water to the headlight washer? Once I put the headlight covers on, I don't want to accidently have the washer to try to spray.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by gil_lucero
Is there a fuse you can pull or something else you can do to make sure the headlight washer no longer pushes water to the headlight washer? Once I put the headlight covers on, I don't want to accidently have the washer to try to spray.
Yes, I pulled the headlight washer fuse.
It was listed on the paper list on the inside of the fuse panel cover.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Headlight Covers for 2004 996.2 C4S Cabriolet