996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Idler pulley, tensioner, torque.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Idler pulley, tensioner, torque.

I have a 2001 996 (I forget that 1.1 or 1.2 thing - mine is the earlier one)
The lower idler pulley broke the other day. I ordered a new one on Ebay (cheapest I could find - $34, by Dayco). I was planning to replace the tensioner pulley and belt anyway, so now I have TWO of these Dayco pulleys on order and the belt. The pulleys and tensioner LOOK the same to me, and on the Ebay page, the Dayco chart indicated the pulleys were compatible with my car, but said nothing specific about whether they were pulleys or tensioners...(that I could find).

So; 1; are these pulleys and the tensioner interchangeable?
2. Am I committing a horrible sin by installing a Dayco? Some of the more expensive pulleys were shown with some inside bracing, presumably to strengthen them, but there were also pulleys that looked EXACTLY like the Dayco - with no bracing either - that were going for $80 or $100 or more.
I'm on a budget, and it seemed unlikely the lack of bracing would cause the part to disintegrate... in fact the one that broke, in my car, had that bracing.

Thanks for helping... PS I'm going on the assumption that these parts ARE interchangeable, so I'll have installed them by FEBRUARY 24th or 25th, most likely, so it won't be necessary to post replies after that, unless you think I'm heading for disaster.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Interchangeable? Just because it says it will fit, doesn't mean that it's of decent quality (or the same quality as the original part). I think the fact that you bought "the cheapest one you could get" is a good indicator of your mindset when it comes to maintaining your car... Who knows, you may get lucky but my experience with parts is that you generally get what you pay for. This is not to say that you must always use Porsche branded parts, but going the "cheapest" route is usually looking for trouble - i.e. you may be doing the job again in a few months or a year. Anytime you're using a part that includes bearings (idler pullies/tensioners) cheapness is not kindness! Good luck
Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

^^ Well said dporto. If you ask me, if you skimp $$ on your Porsche (1) you are headed for disaster and (2) I find it is always best to use Porsche OE replacement parts on moving objects. You own a Porsche and you want to save $$ on moving engine parts? How in the world are you going to afford that next tank of gas? Do it once and do it right. Just my 2 cents...and you asked.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Ouch. Here's my thinking, though; I think MOST people consider taking your car to a dealership to be needlessly expensive, and not necessarily a guarantee of any better work done, than that of an independent shop. I guess I'm hoping this is true of parts manufacturers too.

I should have noted that the photos of the differently-priced pulleys looked like stock photos, and to my understanding, sometimes a single manufacturer will sell parts to many sellers, who can price them as they choose.... but they're the same part. I'm GUESSING that this is the case here, though without ordering one from each seller, I won't know for sure, obviously.

BTW, I haven't been particularly impressed with some of the parts my car came with... nor Porsche's choice of plastic in places where metal would have been a much better choice.

On my other question... is the tensioner pulley the same as the idler pulleys?

THANK YOU.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher28
The lower idler pulley broke the other day.
Did the pulley itself fail, or was it the bearing?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

The pulley - the bearing is still there. BTW I notice that the other pulley is a Sebro - I think that's an expensive brand - but I'm not sure if the one that failed was Sebro too -
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Deleted as post was of no help!

Last edited by 808Bill; 02-22-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Well I don't know if that was a stock part or not. As I mentioned, the other one is a Sebro - do those come stock on 996's?

Looks like I'm 0 for 3, so far.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

The lower idler pulley broke the other day. I ordered a new one on Ebay (cheapest I could find - $34, by Dayco). I was planning to replace the tensioner pulley and belt anyway, so now I have TWO of these Dayco pulleys on order and the belt. The pulleys and tensioner LOOK the same to me, and on the Ebay page, the Dayco chart indicated the pulleys were compatible with my car, but said nothing specific about whether they were pulleys or tensioners...(that I could find).

2. Am I committing a horrible sin by installing a Dayco? Some of the more expensive pulleys were shown with some inside bracing, presumably to strengthen them, but there were also pulleys that looked EXACTLY like the Dayco - with no bracing either - that were going for $80 or $100 or more.
I'm on a budget, and it seemed unlikely the lack of bracing would cause the part to disintegrate... in fact the one that broke, in my car, had that bracing.

Thanks for helping... PS I'm going on the assumption that these parts ARE interchangeable, so I'll have installed them by FEBRUARY 24th or 25th, most likely, so it won't be necessary to post replies after that, unless you think I'm heading for disaster.

Thanks, Chris
I'm going to try to answer some of your questions. I'll also be a little up-front with my thoughts.
1) I believe the pulleys are interchangeable. The best place to be sure is the parts catalog (PET). Porsche has them available on their website. The tensioner is a different part and may not be what you think it is. It does not make contact with the belt; only the pulleys do.
2. You may not be committing a sin by using Dayco parts.

You mention you are on a budget. Would you mind explaining this? You are skimping on a very basic part. What will you do when you need to replace something serious?

If you don't mind, can you provide us with some details of this car? What did you pay for it? What's it's history? Did service records come with it? And maybe more importantly - tell us why you bought this car? You've come to the right place to get information. The impression I get from your post, is that you may not have done much homework on this before jumping in. We're here to help - but you've got to help yourself too.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,708 Posts

Well not an apples to apples comparaison, but i used dayco pulleys and bearings on my truck with a 5.9 cummins. That motor puts a heck of a lot more torque and hp through the system but not the rpm. I got over a 100k miles out of them before i swapped new of the same as preventitive maintanence. Dayco is not a bad supplier.

i would say its your money and your car, do what u want. I put less then 3k miles a year on my car and im betting even the less expensive pulley would be fine in my car.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:53 AM
cun65458
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, Chris
I am doing the same myself. I have an upper idler pulley that needs replacement, as well as my tensioner pulley. Went ahead and purchased two idler pulleys from RockAuto ($25ea) to replace my upper and lower. If you look at the part numbers, they match the requirement. They so happen to be Dayco. However, I couldn't find part number matching for the tensioner pulley, so I reverted to buying the OEM off Pelican Parts ($80).

Hope that helps!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I went one step further than buying the cheapest rollers.......I removed the old bearings and replaced them with new ones. This is just a pulley and the only thing that matters is the quality of the bearings. These bearings are standard off the shelf parts so as long as they are of good quality, it doesn't matter how much the complete pulley costs. There is nothing wrong with a cheap pulley as long as the bearings are good quality.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
^^ Well said dporto. If you ask me, if you skimp $$ on your Porsche (1) you are headed for disaster and (2) I find it is always best to use Porsche OE replacement parts on moving objects. You own a Porsche and you want to save $$ on moving engine parts? How in the world are you going to afford that next tank of gas? Do it once and do it right. Just my 2 cents...and you asked.
You don't do much wrenching do you?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I removed the old bearings and replaced them with new ones.
This seems to make good sense, given that replacement bearings cost around $8.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm from the old school of do it once and do it right. I never want to second guess myself after spending a lot of time and effort on a job and found out things are not working because of inferior installed parts. This is not to say all non-OEM parts are bad, but personally I've been there in trying to save a few bucks by installing some cheap parts from China and then regret the frustration encountered later.

Quick Reply: Idler pulley, tensioner, torque.