Tune for Catless X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM
thurstonpowers3
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tune for Catless X Pipe

Good morning all,

Last night I installed the FVD catless X pipe and immediately noticed a torque loss from 2-4k RPM. I have done plenty of research and this seems to be a common item but I had no idea the extent of the loss. Obviously I am still on a stock map and am curious if anyone has had a tune that has brought back the mid range power? I am assuming the car is running extremely rich in the lower RPM causing the torque loss then leaning back out over 4k because it absolutely screams up there. Any help or experience would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this same question. I have found the same results swapping my catless xpipe in and out. On a stock tune the power delivery SUCKS below 4K rpm.

Under 4k it lacks torque, but also surges under light to moderate throttle, and seams to have a throttle lag comparable to turbochargers.

Swapping the stock cats cats back in fixes these issues. It also looses a fair amount of the mid/top end pull. With xpipe the throttle characteristics at lower RPM make the car so much more exhausting to drive I may just ditch the xpipe permanently.

I too too want to know if someone had similar results that were reduced with a flash. It certainly feels like the timing and fuel could use some adjustments for the free flowing exhaust.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Aren't these pipes designed for racing/track use only where most of your driving would be in the upper RPM range?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:05 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The only reasons i'd be interested in a catless x-pipe system would be to drop weight and save money once my factory cats need replacing ("high-flow" cats are $$$ compared to their catless counterparts). but I wouldnt want to deal with torque loss or CELs...
Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 AM
thurstonpowers3
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Aren't these pipes designed for racing/track use only where most of your driving would be in the upper RPM range?
Yes, they are but even still the power truly does not come on until 4k RPM and under 2k RPM the car is almost undrivable.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by thurstonpowers3
Yes, they are but even still the power truly does not come on until 4k RPM and under 2k RPM the car is almost undrivable.
I'd be concerned with the rich running, not to mention the loss of torque down low...pull the pipes! Aren't bore cylinder scoring related to overly rich mixtures or is that just injector leak?

Quick Reply: Tune for Catless X Pipe