Like Father, Like Son - My Porsche 996 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:37 AM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Like Father, Like Son - My Porsche 996 Project

Hey Guys

Long time lurker, first time really posting. First of all, let me say how much I appreciate communities like these as a place to share a passion with like minded people.

So, here is the story behind my 996 - When I was little, my dad bought a 1999 Porsche 996 Cab with about 20k miles. I thought it was absolutely the coolest car I had ever seen. He and I joined the PCA and did TONS of events together throughout my childhood, teens, and into college. It was our shared passion. Everything from concours (where we won first place at Parade for our class once) to autocross to rallys (where I always had the harder of the two jobs as the navigator) to tracking the car at Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP). That car was such a part of our relationship and something I am so grateful for. I think that's what these cars are really about......shared passion.

Well, about a year back my Dad passed away....When he did, he wanted me to have the car because it was so special to us. Now, it's my legacy to carry forward and someday to pass along to my son, who is currently 3.

My dad did some cool stuff to the car over the years. He had his tastes, I have mine. My plan with this thread is to give a little history on the car and then chronicle various changes, mods, projects I plan to embark upon to make the car "my own". I hope you all enjoy and welcome your comments. I love this community and look forward to taking you all on my journey as I love this car just like my dad did.

Ok, so the car was purchased mostly stock, with turbo twist wheels and a nice burlwood interior trim kit. My dad quickly decided to add a factory MK1 Aerokit to give it a sportier feel. He also added an amazing new sport exhaust with some beautiful chrome TechArt style exhaust tips

Here's a photo of us tracking the car together

Eventually he decided to add some Innsbruck 19" wheels to the car. While I think these looked great and really fit his style, I decided to let them go in favor of my favorite wheel our there, the 996 TT Wheel. Here are the ones he had on

In addition to swapping the wheels, I also decided to swap out the standard Porsche crest for something a little more unique. Many of you may know of Carerra East Studio. They did an amazing job on creating a unique and modern hood crest that is more my style. Definitely check out their Ebay store!

Here are a few more pics of the new wheels, "911" rebadge, and new LED tail lights I added. Also shows what the car looks like washed, clay bar'ed, paint corrected, waxed, and sealed with all my favorite Chemical Guys products. Especially Blacklight and Black Wax!

Current project in the works now is swapping out the front bumper for a TechArt GT Street style bumper from Jeff at Xtrememotorcars. Can wait to get some mesh on this, DRLs installed, bumper painted, and installed. Check the Rennlist classifieds for my current Aerokit front spoiler that is for sale.

STAY TUNED - Current projects also include:
- Double din stereo conversion
- Custom matching steering wheel crest
- Rear bumper diffuser addition (also from Jeff at Xtrememotorcars)
- Rear wing swap to Techart style or Misha GTM (will be posting current Aerokit wing in classifieds)
- New Porsche accent floor mats
- Custom accent seat belts
- Upgraded LED/Xenon headlights
- Custom painted headlight covers
Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Looks great!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:29 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good keep it up
This is the best part of the 996 you can customize it as you like
Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
Looks good keep it up
This is the best part of the 996 you can customize it as you like
+1
And what a great tribute to your Dad (truly sorry about your loss). Never let that car go....sounds like the memories are special.

Car looks great!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Just my unsolicited 2 cents, but I'd hold onto that aerokit front bumper. It's a classy look and they aren't easy to find, should you ever decide to go back to stock. The aftermarket look doesn't age as well as the factory look, IMHO.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:50 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss but looks like you have quite a tribute to remember your father by. Love the car and the mods your into, do keep us all posted and enjoy!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:03 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Very nice, and you are lucky. My Dad needed to buy a car, his favorite choice was a "Checker" -- yes, like the yellow Checker cab cars which they also sold to the public. And then we ended up with a Chevy "Del Rey", which was below the Bel Air and the stripped business / salesman car. We boys ended up buying cheapo sports cars the he never approved of!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
Just my unsolicited 2 cents, but I'd hold onto that aerokit front bumper. It's a classy look and they aren't easy to find, should you ever decide to go back to stock. The aftermarket look doesn't age as well as the factory look, IMHO.
+1
I agree with this....
Either way though, real nice tribute
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Wow! Great story, great pics! Thanks for sharing, reminds me of how I got my start, my Dad gave me a 87 944 back in 98.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Very cool story. I'm doing/did this same thing with my little guy. I've joked around about selling it with him and he is always quick to say "NO" so I can't wait to pass it on to him.

If I could make one quick suggestion. I have installed a few of these fiberglass aftermarket bumpers on my cars and the sun warms them up nicely in the summer and will make you want to kick it. If you check my wide body thread you can see what I did to help prevent that.

Just a thought.

cant wait to see more
Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Great story!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Sorry about your dad but it's great you can carry on your passion. It will help you remember all the good times together!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:30 PM
kms1990
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! My dad passed away about 17 years ago an I am just now restoring his C4 996. Its an awesome experience. I often think about him while driving it down the road.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Jeez...he was a young man when he passed....truly sorry. He only has like 3 years to enjoy the car....That is why I tell everyone I want to be a time millionaire....my time account is the only one getting less every minute and I don't even know how much is in it....that is why I leve for every minute!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Love this community. I have been traveling for work all week but my wife says there are "a ton of packages" that have showed up at the house. Most of this is stuff I ordered for some of those other mods I listed. Should be jumping into that stuff soon and will post some updates as I do. Will also be meeting with my local body shop soon regarding next steps on painting and install for the front bumper and rear diffuser.

Originally Posted by cds72911
Definitely agree with you here but the sale of the Aerokit one is funding my new mods. So....while I'd love to follow your advice on this, we all have make trade offs

Originally Posted by ttt123
Very cool story. I'm doing/did this same thing with my little guy. I've joked around about selling it with him and he is always quick to say "NO" so I can't wait to pass it on to him.

If I could make one quick suggestion. I have installed a few of these fiberglass aftermarket bumpers on my cars and the sun warms them up nicely in the summer and will make you want to kick it. If you check my wide body thread you can see what I did to help prevent that.

Just a thought.

cant wait to see more
Nice. Thanks for the heads up and advice. I will definitely check your thread and will PM you if I have any questions.

Originally Posted by kms1990
Awesome! My dad passed away about 17 years ago an I am just now restoring his C4 996. Its an awesome experience. I often think about him while driving it down the road.
Very cool. Be sure to post some pics and updates here on the forum. I'm sure everyone would love to follow along as you do.

Quick Reply: Like Father, Like Son - My Porsche 996 Project